• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Nanjing far driver controllers

I just set up my first fardriver controller last week and regen works fine.
My only two complaints I have is the different names for the functions compared to Kelly and Votol, much less intuitive.
The other is that I can't switch to reverse and have it regen to a halt and reverse right after, like the Kelly controller could, same with forward when already in reverse.

no , i always tried it on below 70% charge
Could you post your settings? Maybe I can compare with mine and see what might be the issue.

Another thing you could try is reset to factory settings and just change the few most necessary settings to get it to run.
Then see if the issue still persists.

Can it be after a charge delivery, the battery cannot handle a full 40 A demand from the controller?
No , if it was possible before regen then it should also be possible after regen.
Is it a common port bms? If not regen will not work.

You absolutely can do regen on a separate port BMS. The issue is that it can't prevent the P- port from taking a charge, that's why regen should not be used on a separate port BMS.

No , if it was possible before regen then it should also be possible after regen.

Could you post your settings? Maybe I can compare with mine and see what might be the issue.

Another thing you could try is reset to factory settings and just change the few most necessary settings to get it to run.
Then see if the issue still persists.
-My battery: 60V 30Ah (factory original battery -1-year-old and no access to BSM)
-Controller: far driver 72V240A
-Max line current:40A
-MAX phase current: 240A
rated Volt 72
overvoltprotect 90 and restor 88.7
Lowvoltprot: 50v restore 52v
Lowvolway: 0-Vol2V ( other throttle functions under protect are all set to 0)
30KW max power motor (but I think given my battery the rated power is set to 1500W. So practically max RPM is somewhere around 4000-4500)
Gear one is set to 70% line and phase current and has an RPM limit of 2500 while gear 2 is set to 100% line and phase with RPM above max RPM ( 7500; so no limit )
The problem is if I turn on regen in function >follow >3EABS when-release with any Stop back current and -maxbackcurr I get a problem with cut of power after a regeneration session until I fully stop the motor. On the other hand, I don't see any problem if I do the regeneration through braking, even at 10 A
So it gives me the assumption that maybe EABS-when-release is not compatible with my system or short braking does not generate enough current to cause a cut of power as a result (I use throttle far more than brake for adjusting the speed). In base parameters (first page before entering the pro section ) I also see settings energy feedback . However, this setting uses other terminology. For example, there is something like brake generate slightly or throttle generate slightly or strongly. and it does not change by clicking on it.
In the regen section,I also have problems with changing the free throttle or any of the RPM variables . Entering a number has no effect and nothing will change. It remains zero. Again, I don't know if there is a problem with the controller or my setup does not allow such a thing. I also for example could not set my wheel data under the display section. Speedometer is slightly off from GPS speed (over speed). <don't know if I should change the speed plus for it? I don't know maybe I really should reset it? By the way, is there any way to lock some settings on this controller on PC version? I bought it from China and they adjusted some parameters based on my specification. I am wondering if they could lock some setting

Last edited:
I was hoping you would post screenshots.
The PC program allows you to change more settings the app, like motor temp.

Did you try a factory reset?
You can of course save your current settings in a hex file in the comm tab.

If the App is compatible withe the controller and thr BLE module, you can change all nececary values in the app. My ND72680 could be fully set with the new App. My ND721800 has a lot of issues eith the new App. I can only change the first two values in the regen table.
The Computer Software does let me change all values, but does not save any value. I had to ise a second phone with the old AP 1.5.5 to change the values I needed an the connect to the new phone with the new App to save the values.

My older ND721800 does not have all the functions that the newer ND72680 has. There are not all the temperature Sensors available and I can't get it to make variable regen with the throttle, as I had it with the 72680.
The 721800 does only connect to the old BLE module, with the new BLE I never get a connection.
I just installed a 72450 which has all the functions from the 72680 with one Exekution, the variable throttle regen.
I thinkbthere exist different firmware versions with different functions.

If the App is compatible withe the controller and thr BLE module, you can change all nececary values in the app. My ND72680 could be fully set with the new App. My ND721800 has a lot of issues eith the new App. I can only change the first two values in the regen table.
The Computer Software does let me change all values, but does not save any value. I had to ise a second phone with the old AP 1.5.5 to change the values I needed an the connect to the new phone with the new App to save the values.

My older ND721800 does not have all the functions that the newer ND72680 has. There are not all the temperature Sensors available and I can't get it to make variable regen with the throttle, as I had it with the 72680.
The 721800 does only connect to the old BLE module, with the new BLE I never get a connection.
I just installed a 72450 which has all the functions from the 72680 with one Exekution, the variable throttle regen.
I thinkbthere exist different firmware versions with different functions.
I got the app from far-driver website and it is version 2.5. So it is likely despite seeing some options in the app, such options are not available on the controller? Meanwhile, it still allows me to choose the option of throttle but maybe can't manage it.

eee291:
I send few screen shot i already have . I am now away from motor. No i did not try restore or reset . Is restore is the sale as factoey reste ?
eee291:
No i didnt factory rest ? Is it the same as restore or another way to factory reset? I send some scteen shot i got befor. I am away from motor now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240512_120146.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_120146.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240512_115755.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_115755.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240512_115749.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_115749.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240512_115704.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_115704.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240512_115658.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_115658.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240512_115050.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_115050.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240512_115652.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_115652.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240512_115039.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_115039.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240512_114614.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_114614.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240512_114606.jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_114606.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 10
Do you have "one Lin" communication from the battery to the controller?
If not try and set in Protect menu BattSignal to Lithium.

dominik h:
Do you have "one Lin" communication from the battery to the controller?
The COM selection is not changeable. It is also one of the options I am not able to change. I opened the menu and pressed on other options but no change occurred. No idea why many of the parameters are not changeable. It makes me suspicious if the entered parameters in the controller take effect at all. I guess I give up on it. I can't determine if the controller ignores or mismanages the Amper setting or if BMS has a problem and is incompatible with the regeneration. Still, I may use the restore option and run the Auto learn process again to see if the problem goes away!

Last edited:
So i got a new problem. Even with regen off , l lost my throttle response after coasting downhill. The RPM and speed probably reached above the max achivable RPM on a flat road. At the time that such a thing happens, I hear or feel somthing like a small kick. What i dose not understand is that why i dont get the throttle response back until i fully stop.

So i got a new problem. Even with regen off , l lost my throttle response after coasting downhill. The RPM and speed probably reached above the max achivable RPM on a flat road. At the time that such a thing happens, I hear or feel somthing like a small kick. What i dose not understand is that why i dont get the throttle response back until i fully stop.
I also lose throttle when I cange direction while rolling, it won't go until I come to a full stop. I'm told by sia that this behavior can't be changed.
It's probably not that though, I'm just describing similar behavior.

See if increasing throttle high to 4.5v or so does anything.

I had an error pop up about throttle once because it was out of range, it went away quickly so keep an eye on the graph tab when it happens you might catch an error.

eee291:
I also lose throttle when I cange direction while rolling, it won't go until I come to a full stop. I'm told by sia that this behavior can't be changed.

See if increasing the throttle high to 4.5v or so does anything.
I had an error pop up about throttle once because it was out of range, it went away quickly so keep an eye on the graph tab when it happens you might catch an error.

Daniel2:
eee291:

See if increasing the throttle high to 4.5v or so does anything.
Okay , I finally figured out that the problem is low voltage error. For some reason, the voltage will drop under the set protection level. Mine is set to 50V and I think the voltage dropped to 38-40V. Despite voltage recovery, the throttle does not work until one stops.It means the low Volt restore not working !! Do you have any idea why such a thing happens?

Last edited:
Okay , I finally figured out that the problem is low voltage error. For some reason, the voltage will drop under the set protection level. Mine is set to 50V and I think the voltage dropped to 38-40V. Despite voltage recovery, the throttle does not work until one stops.It means the low Volt restore not working !! Do you have any idea why such a thing happens?
My guess is that this behavior is hard-coded into the software. Certain events like direction change and low voltage will trigger a sort of safety that requires you to come to a full stop.

If the battery voltage drops that low, then you need to lower the current even further.
Are the wires to the controller thick enough for the current you're running? I'd use at bare minimum 6mm2

My guess is that this behavior is hard-coded into the software. Certain events like direction change and low voltage will trigger a sort of safety that requires you to come to a full stop.

If the battery voltage drops that low, then you need to lower the current even further.
Are the wires to the controller thick enough for the current you're running? I'd use at bare minimum 6mm2
I think the problem is that I adjusted the controller for maximum performance based on theoretical battery capacity. However, it seems there are moments at high speed when the controller tries to draw more voltage than the battery is capable of providing, while at this speed there is no need for a maximum amount of power to keep going. Yesterday, I came up with an idea and wanted to test it. The arrangement of my speed ratio has put the motor in a state that tells the controller to provide Amps continuously even over the rated RPM. I think this setting is wrong and overloads my battery. As a new setting, I have decreased the max line current and phase percentage for both gears 1 and 2 to 50LC/P and 65LC/75%P respectively. At ratios in speed for gear 3, I also decreased the percentage of phase for 3000RPM to 90% and at 4000RPM to only 50%. Practically at this point, I don't think any more power should be sent through the controller, and any higher speed should originate from field weakening. I have not fully tested it yet. But today in one test run on gear 3 and after regeneration, I noticed only a delay (about 3 to 5 sec) from the time I applied the throttle to the flow of power, But I no longer got the symptoms of low voltage and complete lack of power. So I need to test it more to see what will be the final result .

You really need a more capable battery. If 40A causes such a voltage drop then it's more like a weak OEM battery for 750w or maybe 1kw.

Can someone help me with my controller? I don't know if I am wiring something wrong, or one of my parts is bad but no matter what I change I just get two beeps rising in pitch, and the Bluetooth disappears before I can connect to it. After turning the ignition once it doesn't change after that until I reset my throttle plugs.

Attachments

• wiring1.jpg
    wiring1.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 3
  • wiring2.jpg
    wiring2.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 3
I can't really tell from the pictures, but I'm guessing the yellow ignition wire that goes off-screen is connected to a switch that goes to b+ correct?
Have you tried connecting ignition directly to b+ without the switch?

Last edited:
eee291:
You need a more capable battery. If 40A causes such a voltage drop then it's more like a weak OEM battery for 750w or maybe 1kw.
yea but expensive! 😄Yet my problem or the thing i cannot understand is why this low voltage only happens after a long freewheeling (say 30s or more ). At all other times even at the highest speed, full throttle, and full max cur. Amp, I never saw the voltage drop below 57V. It is only happens after free wheeling/coasting of the 30 ec, regardless of whether the regen is on or off.

Last edited:
Yet my problem or the thing i cannot understand is why this low voltage only happens after a long freewheeling (say 30s or more )
Now it kinda sounds like a BMS issue, maybeo_O
You could maybe temporarily bypass the BMS to make sure it's not cutting current.
To play it safe, have it at 80% or so and check all parallel groups if the voltages are all uniform.
Then you could test all regen and no regen coasting scenarios.

Hi. I noticed batt capacity in the graph section is not correct for me. I was wondering if it is important. I reduced the 0 batt coeff to 800. It seems it is the minimum value that can be set. while it improved the accuracy significantly, the capacity shown in the graph tab is still some percentage (about 7% ) below the one shown on display. The full batt coeff is set to 1250 and a full charge battery shows 100% on display. I read increasing this value can be dangerous. Should I increase it slightly hoping to get a more accurate capacity on a graph section or it is not important amd i should let it be the way it is ?

I've never even looked at that graph, I get my battery data from my Bluetooth BMS.

If it's important to you then keep going, but if it isn't then it might not be worth the risk if it can damage the controller.

Last edited:
Back