New Bafang Crank-Drives

Hi guys,

About the Bafang mid drive, I was wondering about its compatibility with different bottom bracket threadings. From some of the pictures, it looks like it might not even thread into the frame, but rather threaded onto itself and clamped in the BB tube.

I have a bicycle with damaged BB threads, and I had to use a special bottom bracket that doesn't require the use of the frame's threads. I was wondering if this Bafang unit will work...

Horace

HoraceLai said:
Hi guys,

About the Bafang mid drive, I was wondering about its compatibility with different bottom bracket threadings. From some of the pictures, it looks like it might not even thread into the frame, but rather threaded onto itself and clamped in the BB tube.

I have a bicycle with damaged BB threads, and I had to use a special bottom bracket that doesn't require the use of the frame's threads. I was wondering if this Bafang unit will work...

Horace

The BBS-units don't use the internal threads, but just slides through and clamps the bottom bracket.

hie2kolob said:
The 48V 750W Mid-Drive Motor Conversion Kit on conhismotor.com is not referred to as Bafang, 8Fun, or BBS0x either.

http://conhismotor.com/ProductShow.asp?id=431

Yet there have been those that have purchased and posted positive reviews on this thread. Do you think that these are made by Bafang?
The pictured drive appears to be a Bafang, but the pictured drive is the old design. The lock rings were changed on current versions. I'd be concerned that they are in fact selling the newest version. Worth checking. Perhaps they're just using an old photo.

For $40 more, I'd use EM3ev and their excellent customer service. If there is a problem you can be certain to not sit for weeks waiting for a part.

Thank you to everyone on this thread. I bought a BBS01 360w kit from Greenbikekit with their 36V bottle battery.

I put it on my Specialized M2 1990's mountain bike because it is what I have. I plastidipped the downtube and chainstays matt black to get more of a stealth look.

I was inspired to do the conversion when it was announced that a bike lane would be put in on a major part of my route to work, but I didn't want to get to work all sweaty. The route is seven miles each way and mostly flat.

Here is my bike:

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag453/RCDance515/bafang2of2_zps7ea0315f.jpg

Thanks to everyone on this board for all the helpful information.

tahustvedt said:
What's up with this thing? The link title says "Bafang", but that doesn't necessarilly mean anything as these aliexpress listings can be all over the place in descriptive accuracy, but the connectors are similar to our BBS units. Is this a new model?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/C961-display-LCD-2013-Newest-crank-mid-motor-36v-350w-bafang-brushless-geared-crank-drives-motor/1386562025.html

That's an MXUS crank drive.

tomjasz said:
hie2kolob said:
...The pictured drive appears to be a Bafang, but the pictured drive is the old design. The lock rings were changed on current versions. I'd be concerned that they are in fact selling the newest version. Worth checking. Perhaps they're just using an old photo.

Don't think so. As someone has already said, that's probably a MXUS. There seem to be quite a few bolt-on mid-drives available in .China. Somewhere back in the dark recesses of this thread there is a post with pics about the 2013 Taipei show (I think) at which 5 or 6 (including this ugly thing) were on display. MXUS have a big web site if anyone cares to do some research. From what I can gather MXUS make a sort of 'generic' line of products emulating major items already in the Chinese market. I'm probably doing them a disservice (unintended) but that's the impression I recall from reading their site. They appear to be a well known manufacturer - outside the sleepy e-bike backwater of the West that is! :)

Edit: Here you are - from d8veh in the UK, the OP of this giant thread! 59141. Nope - that no work. Sorry - haven't figured out how to copy an entire thread address with the ipad yet! This post from d8veh is in a thread all by itself called 'new crank motors'. The single post prefers to the Shanghai show which he attended and features the Bafang, ananda and MXUS crank motors. More info at the UK Pedelec list Where I believe where d8 is quite an active participant. He may be the originator of that site -I know he imports the BBSxx into the UK. He certainly started this thread and is possibly responsible for bringing the BBSxx to our collective attention....

Savvas

Thanks for the lesson.
I got the, fast to copy and use caution part right at least. Wow! Very often, reading here, I sigh with relief that I listened, and used EM3ev.
Has anyone ever taken apart, pictured, and logged the differences?

Tom

rinky tinker said:
Thank you to everyone on this thread. I bought a BBS01 360w kit from Greenbikekit with their 36V bottle battery.

I put it on my Specialized M2 1990's mountain bike because it is what I have. I plastidipped the downtube and chainstays matt black to get more of a stealth look.

Nice build and a classic bike. Sometimes I really think about building up the old 28" steel-frame bike with 8-speed IGH in my garage. :?
Mainly because the frame is black and it would be way easier to mount the battery(with a bottle or at the pannier rack *wow, every day I learn new English words here^^ I mean the technical stuff*)
The colour of my bike is silver and it is full-suspension.

I wonder how it looks, if I would spray the BBS02 in silver. Has anyone done something like that?

hie2kolob said:
The 48V 750W Mid-Drive Motor Conversion Kit on conhismotor.com is not referred to as Bafang, 8Fun, or BBS0x either.

Yet there have been those that have purchased and posted positive reviews on this thread. Do you think that these are made by Bafang?

I have purchased two 48v 750w units from conhismotor using the exact link you posted. It is, in fact, a Bafang BBS02 (see my older posts for pics). Both units arrived within 10 days of ordering so I was pretty happy. Everything has worked perfectly on both units so far so I have not (yet) needed to contact customer service. Moreover, the units are the newer BBS02 with the new locknuts, etc.

That said, EM3EV is an excellent vendor as well. I recently purchased a BMS and battery charger from them (him?) for my custom battery pack. But I feel the BBS02 conversion kit is pretty much a commodity product at this point. Regardless of whom you order from, you will receive the same Bafang box full of the same Bafang parts. So the only "support" I care about is warranty repair service, which thankfully I have not had to explore as yet. The "value add" that some of the vendors like EM3EV and LectricCycles provide such as reprogramming the controller can now be performed by US ourselves with the info provided by the generous and knowledgeable folks on this forum!

BRS said:
:HP Velotechnik Grasshopper FX
:bafang 750W
:20" Wheels
:Rohloff with 16T sprocket (not pictured)

Welcome to the forums and nice to see another SWB build, more so with the Rohloff. I am curious but as to why you have the motor "on top" of the boom rather than "below it."

Andrew

For the DIY guy go for price. For most others go for a trusted vendor. 3 Bafang motors and all needed a new clutch with less than 300 miles on them. Lectric cycles paid for shipping both ways and did the repair for me. The other two motors came from China. They sent me the nylon clutch units and I did it myself, but the repair is not easy and it requires a complete tear down of the motor.
If you live in the US go with Lectric Cycle. Do you know how much it costs to send the motor back to China?? A lot!

tahustvedt said:
HoraceLai said:
Hi guys,

Horace

The BBS-units don't use the internal threads, but just slides through and clamps the bottom bracket.

Great! So it should work given that the diameter and length of the unit fits. Does anyone have those dimensions?

Also, does it have to fit snug in there or loosely?

HoraceLai said:
tahustvedt said:
HoraceLai said:
Hi guys,

Horace

Great! So it should work given that the diameter and length of the unit fits. Does anyone have those dimensions?

Also, does it have to fit snug in there or loosely?

Check the manual, available for download ar em3ev site.

Savvas

I Emailed Jason at Conhismotor asking if it was the latest 25A controller version of the BBS02. He said it was. I haven't asked for images of the serial plate or anything. Also, I have bought from him in the past (hub drive kit) and he was very prompt with support and spare accessories (failed charger and had to buy additional spokes). So, I am considering buying the BBS02 from him mainly because it works out to be about $100 USD cheaper after factoring in Shipping to Austraila.
Andy

Animalector said:
I Emailed Jason at Conhismotor asking if it was the latest 25A controller version of the BBS02. He said it was. I haven't asked for images of the serial plate or anything. Also, I have bought from him in the past (hub drive kit) and he was very prompt with support and spare accessories (failed charger and had to buy additional spokes). So, I am considering buying the BBS02 from him mainly because it works out to be about $100 USD cheaper after factoring in Shipping to Austraila.
Andy

Are you sure that Conhismotor offering BBS02 750W after update? (problem with throthling). I'm looking for BBS02-750W, em3ev.com offering it for 499$

It appears that conhismotor.com is also selling the "48V 750W Brushless Mid-Drive Motor Conversion Kits with Intergrated Controller" under the name of hallomotor for $610 shipped on eBay. At least it appears to be the same vender if you compare wording and photos:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-750W-Brushless-Mid-Drive-Motor-Conversion-Kits-with-Intergrated-Controller-/171369118257?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e6653a31

Aushiker said:
BRS said:
:HP Velotechnik Grasshopper FX
:bafang 750W
:20" Wheels
:Rohloff with 16T sprocket (not pictured)

Welcome to the forums and nice to see another SWB build, more so with the Rohloff. I am curious but as to why you have the motor "on top" of the boom rather than "below it."

Andrew

I'll be converting my Sun Speedster when the parts come in, so I'm interested in both your projects. Aushiker, I was actually curious why your motor wasn't "on top", as I understood that the reaction forces would gradually rotate the motor until it rests against the downtube (on DFs) or the derailleur post (on an SWB recumbent). Do you think your light adapter is keeping this from happening?

hie2kolob said:
It appears that conhismotor.com is also selling the "48V 750W Brushless Mid-Drive Motor Conversion Kits with Intergrated Controller" under the name of hallomotor for $610 shipped on eBay. At least it appears to be the same vender if you compare wording and photos:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-750W-Brushless-Mid-Drive-Motor-Conversion-Kits-with-Intergrated-Controller-/171369118257?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e6653a31

I dont know how it dres looks like before update but on em3ev.com Mr. Paul and this motor after 2.07.2014 (the get package from Bafang) in conhismotor i see that destribe and "in stock" from 3 months.
I have full suspension 27,5" tires bike and looking for 750w bbs02+ battery 48v minimum 10Ah, you think that this wheels and hydraulic brakes Tektro Gemini will works with it?

samsavvas said:
tomjasz said:
hie2kolob said:
...The pictured drive appears to be a Bafang, but the pictured drive is the old design. The lock rings were changed on current versions. I'd be concerned that they are in fact selling the newest version. Worth checking. Perhaps they're just using an old photo.

Don't think so. As someone has already said, that's probably a MXUS. There seem to be quite a few bolt-on mid-drives available in .China. Somewhere back in the dark recesses of this thread there is a post with pics about the 2013 Taipei show (I think) at which 5 or 6 (including this ugly thing) were on display. MXUS have a big web site if anyone cares to do some research. From what I can gather MXUS make a sort of 'generic' line of products emulating major items already in the Chinese market. I'm probably doing them a disservice (unintended) but that's the impression I recall from reading their site. They appear to be a well known manufacturer - outside the sleepy e-bike backwater of the West that is! :)

Savvas
Confusing to me, nothing new, but which is it? MXUS or Bafang? Anyone know or compare the two?

Savvas[/quote]
Confusing to me, nothing new, but which is it? MXUS or Bafang? Anyone know or compare the two?[/quote]

It is NOT the drive that this thread is talking about and very likely not any iteration of a Bafang. Just because the web site put that in the address bar it doesn't mean anything. Most people don't even look in the address bar since it does nothing but point to the page.

There is no mention in the actual listing of it being a Bafang and it is the wrong shape etc. If you want the motor that this thread is all about then don't buy it. Maybe someone else can do the leg work for you and tell you exactly who makes the motor. Either way, this thread can't help you if that is the mid-drive kit you decide to purchase.

Shanman3us

tahustvedt said:
Wow. I regret asking if this was Bafang-related now.

If you go back to d8 veh's original single 'new crank motor' post he does make a few quite informed observations. Also there's information on the Pedelec list I believe.

Savvas

Made a new harness between the motor unit and handlebar mounted components today. It's much cleaner now than it was with three cables snaking its way up around the shifter cable. I also installed new brake sensors, and added a rear brake sensor.

Attachments

• el24.jpg
    el24.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 2,593
Back