New Bafang Crank-Drives

Does anyone know the thermal cutout temperature and/or the thermal rating of the BBS02 FETs/other internal components? The integrated controller makes me nervous with all of that circuitry running near the upper end of its temperature range.

The motor case seems to run about 40-50ºF above ambient temperature during my daily commute (60% PAS, 40% full throttle). On a cold day that's mildly warm. On a 90º day like today the case is too hot to touch. No performance issues so far, just wondering how careful I should be in hot weather.

Kepler said:
Avigo, dropped off his burnt stator for me to have a look at today.

First impressions were how neat the assembly has been designed with a nice PCB and central plug for the halls

The actual stator assembly is tiny and I can confirm that there is no temperature thermistor embedded into the windings.
Primary drive removed.jpg
Might you have any advise for retrofitting a thermistor into the windings of this pre-heat-protection BB-02 version (s/n 1309050011)?
Like where to get one; where to put it while I have the beast torn down and what to do with the thermistor output?
Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Oh, and by the way, I finally got it that there's a reason why Bafang used a plastic gear (the white one) for the primary gear reduction...it doesn't require lube much ... lube would gum up the adjacent stator/magnets works. I've decided to fugedaboud de brass gear idea and just go with a white identical replacement gear from GreenBikeKit.com (and lay off the trottle).

tahustvedt said:
Wow. I regret asking if this was Bafang-related now.
Nah just one asshat. Every forum has a couple.

shanman3us said:
Confusing to me, nothing new, but which is it? MXUS or Bafang? Anyone know or compare the two?

It is NOT the drive that this thread is talking about and very likely not any iteration of a Bafang. Just because the web site put that in the address bar it doesn't mean anything. Most people don't even look in the address bar since it does nothing but point to the page.

There is no mention in the actual listing of it being a Bafang and it is the wrong shape etc. If you want the motor that this thread is all about then don't buy it. Maybe someone else can do the leg work for you and tell you exactly who makes the motor. Either way, this thread can't help you if that is the mid-drive kit you decide to purchase.

For cripes sake, no one, certainly not me is implying the web address has any product relevance. There are so many off shoots of postings here it's often difficult to sort. There seems to be more confusion than mine. One poster indicates the conhismotor mid drive is NOT a Bafang, another indicates his from Conhis definitely IS. One posted a picture that obviously is NOT a Bafang, but then there's the look alike knock offs that are nearly identical. All I was attempting to do is understand which sellers were peddling the real deal and which were not. I'd also like to know what the differences are. Useful information in answering and helping those coming new to the board. FWIW I came here from a forum where we openly helped, posted links instead of "go search", and did due diligence in helping each other especially those new to the game. It's how I learned to be completely self sufficient in maintaining and wrenching on my Vespa 250ie. I'm here for the same reason and with the same attitude. K?

For those that have been self programing their Bafang BBS02 Mid Drives it appears that there have been some changes with the software in the latest model. Just recently I ordered the 48V 750W from EM3ev and today I received this correspondence from Paul:

"We have the kits ready to send, but have found the original software for re-programming does not work and new software for re-programming has not yet been made available. We cannot ship until we have that figured out and can make the changes. It may take a few more days, I cannot say for sure as we are waiting on the maker."

hie2kolob said:
For those that have been self programing their Bafang BBS02 Mid Drives it appears that there have been some changes with the software in the latest model. Just recently I ordered the 48V 750W from EM3ev and today I received this correspondence from Paul:

"We have the kits ready to send, but have found the original software for re-programming does not work and new software for re-programming has not yet been made available. We cannot ship until we have that figured out and can make the changes. It may take a few more days, I cannot say for sure as we are waiting on the maker."

Yep, I suspected as much. Thanks Bafang.

hie2kolob said:

Is this the case for bbs01 aswell? I ordered my bbs01 a week ago and was looking forward to re-program..

fingret said:
hie2kolob said:

Is this the case for bbs01 aswell? I ordered my bbs01 a week ago and was looking forward to re-program..
Unless there were some unreported changes I suspect you're fine. There are no reports, I've read, of changes to our BBS01 controllers. THAT would suck. I also expect that someone will get the updated version to release.

tomjasz said:
For cripes sake, no one, certainly not me is implying the web address has any product relevance. There are so many off shoots of postings here it's often difficult to sort. There seems to be more confusion than mine. One poster indicates the conhismotor mid drive is NOT a Bafang, another indicates his from Conhis definitely IS. One posted a picture that obviously is NOT a Bafang, but then there's the look alike knock offs that are nearly identical. All I was attempting to do is understand which sellers were peddling the real deal and which were not. I'd also like to know what the differences are. Useful information in answering and helping those coming new to the board. FWIW I came here from a forum where we openly helped, posted links instead of "go search", and did due diligence in helping each other especially those new to the game. It's how I learned to be completely self sufficient in maintaining and wrenching on my Vespa 250ie. I'm here for the same reason and with the same attitude. K?

Wow, you read way more into that reply then was ever intended. All I was doing was giving you a definitive answer in that it isn't the drive that is being talked about on this thread. I'm all for experimentation if I have nothing but time and money but I bought this drive because there was a lot of valuable information, comments and builds on this thread. Also the programming has been made available for the original versions of the BBS01 and BBS02.

If there is a thread for that drive it would be the place to go to get the most help. So, I'm sorry if you took my response the wrong way. I 'thought' I was being helpful!

Shanman3us

tahustvedt said:
Made a new harness between the motor unit and handlebar mounted components today. It's much cleaner now than it was with three cables snaking its way up around the shifter cable. I also installed new brake sensors, and added a rear brake sensor.

I'm interested in making a harness without all the connector mess, adjusted lenghtes, ... I'm glad to find you did one for your bike, it looks neat.

Could you give more details ? Where did you cut the original one ? how did you make the connections ? For the brakes, did you reuse the original sensors provided with the stock levers ?

Masure said:
tahustvedt said:
Made a new harness between the motor unit and handlebar mounted components today. It's much cleaner now than it was with three cables snaking its way up around the shifter cable. I also installed new brake sensors, and added a rear brake sensor.

I'm interested in making a harness without all the connector mess, adjusted lenghtes, ... I'm glad to find you did one for your bike, it looks neat.

Could you give more details ? Where did you cut the original one ? how did you make the connections ? For the brakes, did you reuse the original sensors provided with the stock levers ?

I didn't cut the original one. I still have it. I did cut the old connector from the display unit and soldered a different one on.

Here are the pinouts I used to make the new cable:

Attachments

• bafangpinout.jpg
    bafangpinout.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2,494
Here's a shot of the cable inside the battery box.
el26.jpg
I still haven't received my new batteries. Supposedly there's some problem in Malaysia causing delays for everyone. Still riding with three year old lipos. :)

Here's a shot of the connector I made from 1 mm copper wire, 10mm id brass tubing, hot glue and heat shrink tubing.
View attachment 1

I used a header strip like this for the connectors at the handlebar end. Not waterproof unless sealed, but I don't care about that: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321391695117?var=510271667846&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Shopping:
el25.jpg

tomjasz said:
There are so many off shoots of postings here it's often difficult to sort. There seems to be more confusion than mine. One poster indicates the conhismotor mid drive is NOT a Bafang, another indicates his from Conhis definitely IS. One posted a picture that obviously is NOT a Bafang, but then there's the look alike knock offs that are nearly identical. All I was attempting to do is understand which sellers were peddling the real deal and which were not. I'd also like to know what the differences are. Useful information in answering and helping those coming new to the board. FWIW I came here from a forum where we openly helped, posted links instead of "go search", and did due diligence in helping each other especially those new to the game. It's how I learned to be completely self sufficient in maintaining and wrenching on my Vespa 250ie. I'm here for the same reason and with the same attitude. K?

Just to try to introduce a few definitive statements based on my own reading and research - I've looked all over the place and found:
- lots of poorly executed Chinese web stores (generic pictures of Bafang mid drive motor kits, confusing combinations of labelling etc and specs)
- several stores selling somewhat similar looking mid drives that closer examination indicates are clearly not the BBSxx
- no evidence of the 'knock-offs' mentioned!

I interpret a 'knock-off' as something made to look like another product and perhaps advertised to represent itself as that more desirable product. All of the alternative mid- drives I found (MXUS, Ananda, Sunstar etc) either predate the Bafang, were released at the same time or have been released subsequently and look significantly different (if same basic pattern).

The initial illustrated posting that I read from D8veh ('new crank motors') remains - for me - my first alert to the existence of these easy-to-install kits. I'd read up extensively on the GNG kits and their derivatives and courtesy of spinning magnets I was also aware of several rather expensive US based products (one of which I purchased). So kits such as the BBSxx are all relatively new to the market 12-24 months). We must also remember that while th net is all pervasive, marketing to the west is not always as consistent. The Chinese market is vast and by cruising the English speaking net I'm sure that we are just dabbling around the edges. Western buyers are mere minnows in a great big pond! So one needs to be discriminating!

There are it seems many 100s of 'sellers' on Aliexpress and elsewhere who probably sell thse units one by one. I wouldn't buy something as expensive and potentially fraught as an electric drive from one of these folks in a blue fit. Just me I know but buyers should not be naive about what they're getting in to. Conhismotor is obviously a large and reputable company ( even if their English language website is a bit wonky). BMS ioccasionally seems to fall down a little in terms of service but ok most of the time. GBK seems pretty good. Em3ev is obviously excellent, honest and easy to communicate with although sometimes a little slow ( smaller outfit etc). And then you have at least one excellent domestic seller in the USA. Others in the UK and in Europe. Just remember that 90% of the Chinese sites will be domestically focussed on their Chinese market (which we know has undergone huge growth over the last year or two), and therefore will likely be more comprehensively and perhaps accurately documented in their Chinese language forms ( which I assume most here would not have access to).

Confusing? Of course! What else should we expect? It's a Tower of Babel out there. The solution is to make use of (or at least go and read) those web sellers that obviously have proven track records for selling what they say they are and for providing decent information. For more information about the Chinese mid- drive alternatives (apart from the GNG), the only information I have found thus far has been the d8veh post about the Shanghai show he attended in 2013 and his posts at the Pedlec forum. There are some German posts too but I don't read that language well unfortunately. I encourage those curious about the 'alternatives' to chase up d8veh's posting.
Savvas

Edit - more info. Some great links to the mid-drive world with pictures:

http://www.electricbike.com/mid-drive-kits/ (this is d8veh's Shanghai Show post)

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59141

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=60154

If the MXUS web site is anything to go by, it looks like their mid-drive may not currently be available...

I got some great news today. The 750 I bought from Ebay for $450 + $105 shipping only lasted for 1 block when the motor stopped running. The seller offered to "try" to get any parts I found defective but after digging into the drive I decide it wasn't my problem to fix. So I notified the seller I was returning the drive and expected a full refund. I summited a claim with Ebay and with my credit card company (American Express).

Today I was notified by American Express that PayPay was refunding the full $555 I had paid. And no mention of returning the drive. I have already replaced to defective drive with a new 500w unit from Cal. Ebikes. So I guess the "defective drive will become my learning and spare parts drive. So I guess next week I'll be rereading all 115 pages of this thread and the other 8Fun threads to get ideas on how to check out the potential problems. My guess is there's a bad connection inside the motor somewhere and I just have to find it.
wish me luck!!

Bob

dumbass said:
I got some great news today. The 750 I bought from Ebay for $450 + $105 shipping only lasted for 1 block when the motor stopped running. The seller offered to "try" to get any parts I found defective but after digging into the drive I decide it wasn't my problem to fix. So I notified the seller I was returning the drive and expected a full refund. I summited a claim with Ebay and with my credit card company (American Express).

Today I was notified by American Express that PayPay was refunding the full $555 I had paid. And no mention of returning the drive. I have already replaced to defective drive with a new 500w unit from Cal. Ebikes. So I guess the "defective drive will become my learning and spare parts drive. So I guess next week I'll be rereading all 115 pages of this thread and the other 8Fun threads to get ideas on how to check out the potential problems. My guess is there's a bad connection inside the motor somewhere and I just have to find it.
wish me luck!!

Bob

I also have a kit that has suddenly gone dead after 10 days of sheer joy. The controller will no longer turn on, appears dead. I finished riding for the day, disconnected battery, charged, plugged in next morning, nothing. There is no real explanation. All cables are properly connected, the battery is fully charged, has not been wet weather. Have been riding fairly conservatively. It is a 48v 500w kit with battery from EM3V. Waiting to hear back from Paul.

samsavvas said:
tomjasz said:
There are so many off shoots of postings here it's often difficult to sort. There seems to be more confusion than mine. One poster indicates the conhismotor mid drive is NOT a Bafang, another indicates his from Conhis definitely IS. One posted a picture that obviously is NOT a Bafang, but then there's the look alike knock offs that are nearly identical. All I was attempting to do is understand which sellers were peddling the real deal and which were not. I'd also like to know what the differences are. Useful information in answering and helping those coming new to the board. FWIW I came here from a forum where we openly helped, posted links instead of "go search", and did due diligence in helping each other especially those new to the game. It's how I learned to be completely self sufficient in maintaining and wrenching on my Vespa 250ie. I'm here for the same reason and with the same attitude. K?

Just to try to introduce a few definitive statements based on my own reading and research - I've looked all over the place and found:
- lots of poorly executed Chinese web stores (generic pictures of Bafang mid drive motor kits, confusing combinations of labelling etc and specs)
- several stores selling somewhat similar looking mid drives that closer examination indicates are clearly not the BBSxx

I interpret a 'knock-off' as something made to look like another product and perhaps advertised to represent itself as that more desirable product. All of the alternative mid- drives I found (MXUS, Ananda, Sunstar etc) either predate the Bafang, were released at the same time or have been released subsequently and look significantly different (if same basic pattern).

The initial illustrated posting that I read from D8veh ('new crank motors') remains - for me - my first alert to the existence of these easy-to-install kits. I'd read up extensively on the GNG kits and their derivatives and courtesy of spinning magnets I was also aware of several rather expensive US based products (one of which I purchased). So kits such as the BBSxx are all relatively new to the market 12-24 months). We must also remember that while th net is all pervasive, marketing to the west is not always as consistent. The Chinese market is vast and by cruising the English speaking net I'm sure that we are just dabbling around the edges. Western buyers are mere minnows in a great big pond! So one needs to be discriminating!

There are it seems many 100s of 'sellers' on Aliexpress and elsewhere who probably sell thse units one by one. I wouldn't buy something as expensive and potentially fraught as an electric drive from one of these folks in a blue fit. Just me I know but buyers should not be naive about what they're getting in to. Conhismotor is obviously a large and reputable company ( even if their English language website is a bit wonky). BMS ioccasionally seems to fall down a little in terms of service but ok most of the time. GBK seems pretty good. Em3ev is obviously excellent, honest and easy to communicate with although sometimes a little slow ( smaller outfit etc). And then you have at least one excellent domestic seller in the USA. Others in the UK and in Europe. Just remember that 90% of the Chinese sites will be domestically focussed on their Chinese market (which we know has undergone huge growth over the last year or two), and therefore will likely be more comprehensively and perhaps accurately documented in their Chinese language forms ( which I assume most here would not have access to).

So confusing? Of course! What else should we expect? It's a Tower of Babel out there. The solution is to make use of (or at least go and read) those web sellers that obviously have proven track records for selling what they say they are. For more information about the Chinese mid- drive alternatives, the only information I have found thus far has been the d8veh post about the Shanghai show he attended in 2013 and his posts at the Pedlec forum. There are some German posts too but I don't read that language well unfortunately. I encourage those curious about the 'alternatives' to chase up d8veh's posting.
Savvas

Savvas....

I appreciate the time and effort you expended to give such a comprehensive reply to tomjasz. I trust he'll be happy with your answer :D

Shanman3us

shanman3us said:
samsavvas said:
tomjasz said:

So confusing? Of course! What else should we expect? It's a Tower of Babel out there. The solution is to make use of (or at least go and read) those web sellers that obviously have proven track records for selling what they say they are. For more information about the Chinese mid- drive alternatives, the only information I have found thus far has been the d8veh post about the Shanghai show he attended in 2013 and his posts at the Pedlec forum. There are some German posts too but I don't read that language well unfortunately. I encourage those curious about the 'alternatives' to chase up d8veh's posting.
Savvas

Savvas....

I appreciate the time and effort you expended to give such a comprehensive reply to tomjasz. I trust he'll be happy with your answer :D

Shanman3us
Well said Savvas.
When dealing with different nationalities, meanings do yet lost in translation. I find by asking the vendors questions, the answers will finally come. Whether they are a big or small operator, like most people they are only trying to make a living, and like us, I'm honest, so that is not to say that they aren't.
Regards Dave

Thanks Savvas....and Shanman3us. Yesterday was a big day for this old brain on ES. Many new ideas and views to consider, and adopt. You two have been a big part of my ES evolution. Perhaps the biggest joy for me here is the learning curve being made easier by members input and responses. Even when I completely miss the mark. Again, thanks for the patience and perspective.

Tom

samsavvas said:
tomjasz said:
There are it seems many 100s of 'sellers' on Aliexpress and elsewhere who probably sell thse units one by one. I wouldn't buy something as expensive and potentially fraught as an electric drive from one of these folks in a blue fit. Just me I know but buyers should not be naive about what they're getting in to.

So far I have a 100% miss rate on Aliexpress. By that I mean that in every case that I have places an order (3 so far) I have received the wrong, or no, item. For $10 items I was willing to gamble. For a motor I am relying on to get me to work, no way.

Back to the topic at hand, I ahve been reading this thread with interest. However, I am particularly interested in replacement spiders to put other gears on the bike; so far it looks like the only option is California E bikes. The reason is that the bike I have in mind for this is a bike I have with a Gates belt and a Nuvinci hub. But to make it work I need to put a Gates "sprocket" on the front.

I have the 750w BBS02 (from Lectric Cycles) with an Allcell 13.5 ah battery installed since February 22nd on my Fuji Reveal 2.0

WP_20140512_005.jpg

My commute is 18.2 miles in each direction. As of today I have 1,647 miles and ZERO problems.
I weigh in @ 220 lbs and use PAS only. Compared to my geared hubs I've used, this kit is the best I've owned and would purchase it again in a heartbeat.

I have a pending order for a new kit and i'm reading about failures with the clutch and other things. I have enough problems with my gng....i am confident with repairing things myself i just don't enjoy having to buy more parts if they fail.

I am on the fence with this or the LR kit.

tomjasz said:
Thanks Savvas....and Shanman3us. Yesterday was a big day for this old brain on ES. Many new ideas and views to consider, and adopt. You two have been a big part of my ES evolution. Perhaps the biggest joy for me here is the learning curve being made easier by members input and responses. Even when I completely miss the mark. Again, thanks for the patience and perspective.

Tom

No problem Tom. I'm new to this field as well. I know how confusing it is and, as was mentioned, there are many ways to read a statement since feeling can't always be conveyed especially based on nationality etc.

I personally purchased from em3ev (Paul) solely based on all the information that I got from this thread and the experience of the others. What tipped the scales for this exact motor kit (BBS02 48V 500W in my case) was that the programming software became available and the others here figured out the hardware to start making our own programming changes. Paul setup my controller exactly as I asked him, however after riding the bike I found that it did not perform that great for me. Only after riding the bike with motor could I see how I would like it to work even though I thought after all my reading that I knew what I needed/wanted. Having the ability to program the controller and make personal changes turned this kit from just OK into a complete joy to operate and use. I would not want to be stuck with some generic programming when we are all individuals with different riding styles and needs. I highly recommend (as do the majority on this thread/forum) dealing with Paul at em3ev or the couple of other ones mentioned if you would rather deal with a USA vendor. Even if you have an issue you will be taken care of and for me it's impossible to put a price on that when were talking about this amount of money. Some have been 'lucky' with AliExpress but many have not.

Best of luck on whatever you decide to purchase. If I can help you in the future I will try to be more careful with my phrasing and wording.

Shanman3us

Back