New Bafang Crank-Drives

Animalector said:
If you have hydraulic cut off brakes there's no reason why it wouldn't support them. Most standard hydraulic brakes don't have the Hall signal and therefore typically cannot be used with ebike functions without adding some sort of custom modification to add the switch

Did you end up getting your Tektro hydraulic ebike brakes Animalector?

Hi, I’ve been reading this forum and especially this topic for a year now and it’s been huge information source for me. Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

I thought it’s time to share my little experience with BBS. I’ve liked electric bikes for years, but in different reasons I still haven’t one. Last year, when I found out, that local guys are building great electric bikes called Liberator, (ES topic: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36503)
I got more in to it and for couple of months, I have BBS02 750W waiting for my final design ideas and Liberator frame. Hopefully my bike will be on the road before winter.

Liberator team installed first BBS motor last summer. First test-bike was 3-wheeler for elderly person to do her everyday commutes. This three-wheeler got BBS01 36V 250W with custom made 15 Ah battery. Team was very impressed by its quietness, power to pull up every hill and its low energy consumption:
BBS_001_zps819013d3.jpg

Great experience with 3-wheeler lead to that, that new, beautiful white Liberator got the same engine, but with custom made 30 Ah battery:
BBS_002_zps74a16631.jpg

I had opportunity to ride this bike a little, and it was very comfortable ride. Bike is heavy, but for cruising, that 250W motor was enough. I too was impressed by this motor’s qualities and from this bike I got my BBS fever.

Later last year team made couple BBS test conversions for Post Company. Both bikes got 36V 250W motor and custom made 15 Ah battery:
BBS_003_zps7e93d3c1.jpg

BBS_004_zps52407bc9.jpg

Next BBS build was another Liberator, we call it “budget” Liberator, because it’s pretty blank. This bike got 36V 350W with 12 Ah battery:
BBS_005_zps539c6387.jpg

At the same time was finished another 3-wheeler with 36V 250W motor and 12 Ah battery:
BBS_0061_zps3d5abada.jpg

Then one of team members converted his own bike and installed BBS02 48V 750W with custom made 15 Ah battery:
BBS_007_zps234bf059.jpg

I had chance to test this bike in middle of building process, but even that small ride was enjoyable. There was plenty of assist and quietness of BBS impressed me once again.

At the end of May another Liberator got BBS. This bike had before mid-drive too and I was lucky to ride this bike at the end of last year for several hundred kilometers. I rode this bike till mid December:
BBS_0081_zps3ba9f0a5.jpg

Beside new and improved suspension and other updates, Little Blue has now BBS02 48V 750W and 30Ah battery:
BBS_0082_zpsa91d3446.jpg

I’ve been lucky to drive this Liberator several times. My longest ride with this bike was on 7th of June, when I cruised more than 40 km with it. There is big difference compared to last year. Ride is more comfortable thanks to suspension, but BBS suites this bike really well. It is amazingly quiet and wide assist range is suitable for every situation.

Latest conversions are made with full “bolt-on” kits. Kit includes 36V 350W motor and 12-14 Ah battery. This kit comes already with C965 display:
BBS_0091_zpsc8fe5e3a.jpg

BBS_0092_zpsdb19322a.jpg

BBS_010_zps26d33eac.jpg

I’ll try to post our BBS related doings in this topic too, but freshest updates are in our Estonian FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Särtsuratas/475677072509113
And with little delay in our English blog:
http://liberatorbike.blogspot.com/

Best regards,
Margo

fingret said:
hie2kolob said:
For those that have been self programing their Bafang BBS02 Mid Drives it appears that there have been some changes with the software in the latest model. Just recently I ordered the 48V 750W from EM3ev and today I received this correspondence from Paul:

"We have the kits ready to send, but have found the original software for re-programming does not work and new software for re-programming has not yet been made available. We cannot ship until we have that figured out and can make the changes. It may take a few more days, I cannot say for sure as we are waiting on the maker."

Is this the case for bbs01 aswell? I ordered my bbs01 a week ago and was looking forward to re-program..

He must have the new programming software or is sending them out stock, I just got a ship notice from Moon for my BBS02 750W.

I recently completed the upgrade to a new spider and 54T chainring.
The spider was more expensive than others I've found here on the forum but I liked the anodizing. It's from california-ebike.com. I only wish it came with the 'chainring fixing bolts' which I had to find elsewhere. Here are some pictures. I was able to install it without the spacer and it works fine.

Attachments

• 20140709_131348.jpg
    20140709_131348.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 3,408
  • 20140714_125916.jpg
    20140714_125916.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 3,408
Supertux1 said:
fingret said:
hie2kolob said:
For those that have been self programing their Bafang BBS02 Mid Drives it appears that there have been some changes with the software in the latest model. Just recently I ordered the 48V 750W from EM3ev and today I received this correspondence from Paul:

"We have the kits ready to send, but have found the original software for re-programming does not work and new software for re-programming has not yet been made available. We cannot ship until we have that figured out and can make the changes. It may take a few more days, I cannot say for sure as we are waiting on the maker."

Is this the case for bbs01 aswell? I ordered my bbs01 a week ago and was looking forward to re-program..

He must have the new programming software or is sending them out stock, I just got a ship notice from Moon for my BBS02 750W.

Mine has been reprogrammed and is now on its way,,,

BRS said:
The spider was more expensive than others I've found here on the forum but I liked the anodizing. It's from california-ebike.com. I only wish it came with the 'chainring fixing bolts' which I had to find elsewhere. Here are some pictures. I was able to install it without the spacer and it works fine.

Still looking for a chain ring adapter with the proper off set. Does anyone know where I can find the "best bang for my buck"?

My build is focused mainly on off road with climbing so I will most likely use a 42 to 44T chain ring. The Italian chain ring made by Alcedoitalia could work but as of yet they are not corresponding and they are a bit pricey. This one listed above looks promising as well. I would also be open to buying a homemade adapter like those listed on this thread in the past if there is anything still available that can be shipped to the US.

Thanks, Jeff

hie2kolob said:
BRS said:

Still looking for a chain ring adapter with the proper off set. Does anyone know where I can find the "best bang for my buck"?

My build is focused mainly on off road with climbing so I will most likely use a 42 to 44T chain ring. The Italian chain ring made by Alcedoitalia could work but as of yet they are not corresponding and they are a bit pricey. This one listed above looks promising as well. I would also be open to buying a homemade adapter like those listed on this thread in the past if there is anything still available that can be shipped to the US.

Thanks, Jeff

The correct chainline is impossible to achieve with a normal chainring and an adapter because of the size of the Bafang housing. The Alcedoitalia is well worth the money in my opinion. I could not match that price myself if I was to sell one of the chainrings I made for myself.

The correct chainline is impossible to achieve with a normal chainring and an adapter because of the size of the Bafang housing. The Alcedoitalia is well worth the money in my opinion. I could not match that price myself if I was to sell one of the chainrings I made for myself.

If we have any enterprising machinists out there, it would seem that a 144 mm chainring adapter could be made to clear the motor housing, The only issue there is the limited availability of 144bdc chainrings. I believe the smallest is 42t.

Tell us more about the C965 display. Looks like it has watts. How about amp-hours or watt-hours?

Teslanv, to answer your question, rough translation from a guy who installed those 350W C965 kits: “this display with this motor shows just momentary power in watts”.

I personally haven’t had a chance to try it yet, but hopefully this picture can give an idea, what C965 display is capable of:
BBS_C965_zps2be08f33.jpg

I’ll visit our laboratory probably tomorrow and if I can, I’ll make comparison pictures with C961 and get more info about it.

I redid my battery box today - the wooden one was only ever temporary - found a nice electrinics enlcosure - reinforced it with come left over csrbon fibre sheeting I had lying around and painted it a darker colour to blend in a bit more and added a stencil. The box isn't removable from the bike like other aftermarket batteries (but I've never been overly convinced on how secure a 3kg battery is when just bolted on with two water bottle bosses) but remove four phillips screws at each corner and you can take the lipo pack out.

Pretty happy with it:-

10513529_10204557713961592_850770222449929301_n.jpg

Hi All,

I had hoped for my first post to be of a completed conversion of my Polygon Heist with a Bafang BBS02. It appears however that I've struck a problem with the install - the axle sleeve can only be inserted 40mm in to the bottom bracket shell before it gets stuck (see pic). There is no obstacle inside the shell that should be getting in the way from what I can see. I can only surmise that the shell or the axle sleeve is not a uniform diameter all the way along it's length.

I'm not experienced in bike mechanics (which is a large reason why I chose the Bafang) so I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has any suggestions on how i might be able to fit the sleeve? Could I apply some heat to the shell (it's an alloy frame)? Or some additional grease\lubricant and try and whack it through? Any ideas on how I can overcome this issue would be greatly appreciated!!

22LqfGjl.jpg

shodd said:
Hi All,

I had hoped for my first post to be of a completed conversion of my Polygon Heist with a Bafang BBS02. It appears however that I've struck a problem with the install - the axle sleeve can only be inserted 40mm in to the bottom bracket shell before it gets stuck (see pic). There is no obstacle inside the shell that should be getting in the way from what I can see. I can only surmise that the shell or the axle sleeve is not a uniform diameter all the way along it's length.

I'm not experienced in bike mechanics (which is a large reason why I chose the Bafang) so I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has any suggestions on how i might be able to fit the sleeve? Could I apply some heat to the shell (it's an alloy frame)? Or some additional grease\lubricant and try and whack it through? Any ideas on how I can overcome this issue would be greatly appreciated!!

http://i.imgur.com/22LqfGjl.jpg

Is there a screw under the bottom bracket holding a cable guide in place? It takes very little protrusion inside the bottom bracket shell for it to become a problem. I thought I had unscrewed mine enough, but had to unscrew it more than I first thought because there is little wiggle room.

tahustvedt said:
Is there a screw under the bottom bracket holding a cable guide in place? It takes very little protrusion inside the bottom bracket shell for it to become a problem. I thought I had unscrewed mine enough, but had to unscrew it more than I first thought because there is little wiggle room.

Yep there is and I have tried installing the axle with it removed completely without any luck. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Just thought I would share a photo from a ride a did today. My bike is a Giant NRS-1 and I have the BBS-01 with a 36V allcell battery in a custom frame bag.

I rode today in Tilden park in the hills east of San Francisco. The view is of Mt. Diablo. Superfun ride. I love this bike. Because of the motor I can get up to the trails without a car going faster than I would on a racing bike. It is hard to describe how awesome it is to have an e-bike like this. You can get all the exercise you want, the bike can go anywhere, and there is no speed penalty on regular roads like there would be with a standard mountain bike.

Attachments

• tilden.jpg
    tilden.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 3,658
@ Shodd - Please take a side on picture of the empty bb shell. Sometimes there is something on the outside of the shell that interferes with the motor casing preventing it sitting all the way home.

shodd said:
Hi All,

22LqfGjl.jpg

Sometimes a light Dremal'ing (in between the crank threads) is needed to get rid of any stray welds from the welding process when they made your bike.

Just move the Dremel tool in light smooth circular motion and keep presenting the BBS01/02 until it slots in snugly. Some spray oil on the Bafang crank mount helps as well.

Do be careful of your crank threads though.

Back