New build advice

sal_park

100 mW
Hi,

I built a couple of ebikes a few years ago (since sold) and am getting the itch to build one again and thought it would be a good idea to check here in case there are other/better ways of going about this that people might be able to suggest. I'm looking to build a full suspension ebike with a mid-mounted motor and a removable battery in the frame triangle. (fairly standard fair). This will be used for general off road riding (nothing too serious) and also commute to work (also mostly off road).

Here are is my build criteria.

1) Use a new full suspension ebike. Buying new so I can take advantage of a government discount purchase scheme here in the UK (cycle to work). Currently looking at a Carrera Titan X since it's a good price
2) Having something that I can hack - the BBS02 motor looks like a good bet but there may be other options I've not considered. (here is a previous project to give you an idea: https://sourceforge.net/projects/bangxietymeter/ )
3) Cost. Need to keep a lid on the budget hence the bike choice above.
4) Reasonable reliability. I want to use this bike

My previous ebikes were both hard tail as the general advice at time in 2012 for the lower end of full suspensions bikes on the market was it was not worth it as they tended to break too easily. Although cost is motivator for building vs buying ready built I also enjoy the building challenge so that is a big part of the motivation too.

Nothing wrong with the motor kit plan. The bike itself can be upgraded later if your choice does not work out perfect.

Back