New build low power?? HELP PLEASE

rogerc

1 W
Got my Cellman kit all installed went for a ride and very low power. On Cycle Analyst it shows about 75 watts being used. Top speed maybe 8 mph.
I have triple checked all the wiring and believe it is wired together correctly but I may have overlooked something and continue to review my install.
What is the common reason for low power and how do I run test to help narrow the problem down?
I am running the following:
Mac 10 t motor
9 fet IRFB3077 Infineon Controller
Cycle Analyst 3.0
52 volt 18.5 battery.
Everything was purchased from Ceelman at EM3.
This is first build, so I am at a loss.
I have the throttle plugged into the CA 3 and tried it directly into the Controller with still no change.
My only suspicion is the 6 phase wires. I have checked their contact and all looks but hard to tell if everything is making a solid connection. All wires are slotted into color to color match.
RC

Ok...dumb question....Is your battery charged and balanced?

:D

I have had controllers that have a jumper wire, mine was black connected to white, when hooked together they limited the amps to EU power levels, say 15 mph tops. Do you have a wire that comes out of controller and connects to another wire via a connector? If you do disconnect and see what happens

Thanks for the replies!
e-beach, yes the battery is charged and balanced. Shows 52 volts on the Cycle Analyst.

Dand214 CA is calibrated, was done by cellman when he sends them out. Checked in the setup screen and set for what was written on outside of controller.

BikeFanatic no wire that I could find. Don't think cellman would send them out limited anyway.

Spinningmagnets. Kit does have a 3 speed switch tried it on all 3 settings, do get an increase in watts but not much.

Still looking at wiring issues. Will report back after sleeping on it and reviewing all wiring.
Thanks
RC

Hi Roger,

Don't think you could have mis-wired your setup... Cellman kit pretty much only goes together in one way, thanks to the form factor of the connectors.

Agree with Dan, first thing I'd try would be removing the CA from setup. Can't do any harm, and if the bike then has full power it points to CA setup. If not, it points to problem being elsewhere.

Another member recently purchased identical kit, had a similar problem: disappointing power output when he hooked it up. In his case, torque rather than speed. After talking with Paul, he made some minor changes to CAV3 default settings: "... I did make a few changes in the CA that seemed to make a difference in torque. My CA probably has a bunch more settings than yours. Anyhow this is what I did, I change the wheel diameter size, change the throttle input to "speed" setting it was on "current" setting and I limited my max speed to 60km/h. All of this certainly made a big difference to the point I am happy with the set up. I'm sure there are more settings that I could fine tune but this is good for now until I get some miles under my belt..."

Another possibility: flaky throttle not putting out full control voltage range? These are notorious weak link, with spotty quality control on the best of them. I think I have a spare half-twist throttle from Cellman at home. You are welcome to borrow it to test, just let me know.

Dan
You were right, pulled the CA and ran the throttle direct. Took it out for a ride... wow baby, lots of torque and much better speed.

So now what, is it a bad controller? Or is it not wired correctly or is the CA not programmed correctly?
Your help is appreciated.
RC

Footloose,
Good to hear from you.
I am still very impressed with your build. NICE RIDE, I bet you pick up a lot of women with that ride!!!
Ordered an extra throttle and have one here. Will also try that.
With the update I wrote about it looks like I have some configurations to do with the CA.
Will start reading on that. Lots of torque with this baby when by passing the CA.

When I get this all put together we should plan a bay area ebike ride.
RC

rogerc said:
Dan
You were right, pulled the CA and ran the throttle direct. Took it out for a ride... wow baby, lots of torque and much better speed.

So now what, is it a bad controller? Or is it not wired correctly or is the CA not programmed correctly?
Your help is appreciated.
RC

Need to check all the settings in the CA. It's probably a speed limit and/or current limit over-riding your throttle. Once you verify that it runs good with direct throttle and the CA connected to the bike, then you can get into the throttle setup in the CA.

Back