New Circuit Breaker

dragon

1 W
I have on order a 72v 50ah lifepo4 battery w/ a 100a BMS & a FarDriver ND72680 controller that will drive a 5000w hub motor.
Is it okay to use this circuit breaker to replace my old 63a one?

B94597F2-A17E-4B0A-8F4F-FBF80C5A58DF.jpeg

A circuit breaker is often only thought of to protect the wiring. In the case of using lifepo4 batteries you may have a significant lower max discharge rate [1C/cell?] than when using something like LiPo 20Ahr batteries which may have a max discharge rate of some 24C/cell. C being the parallel amp capacity of cells.

You would have more ends covered for overload if your circuit breaker capacity is also less than your batt’s max discharge rate.

Some big lifepo4 cells I had were rated a max discharge rate of 40amps. My controller was rated 40 amps so I thought I had max discharge covered without a circuit breaker — not so — every now and then one of the $40/cell would fail. Exceeding max discharge was the type of failing I thought to be case after I added a Cycle Analyst and could see the history of max discharge. The max output of the controller was not a mere 40 amps max — sometimes 50 amps.

Some info on these lifepo4 cells said brief peeks of 50 amps. Damage likely accumulates and will eventually leave a cell with an open circuit. So carry a jumper wire and you can get home under the power of one less cell

From the Web: A common LiFePO4 battery is rated at 100 amp hours and is roughly the size of a group 31 lead acid battery. These batteries are also rated as to their maximum discharge capacity. 100 Amps max discharge is common.

Last edited:
A circuit breaker is often only thought of to protect the wiring. In the case of using lifepo4 batteries you may have a significant lower max discharge rate [1C/cell?] than when using something like LiPo 20Ahr batteries which may have a max discharge rate of some 24C/cell. C being the parallel amp capacity of cells.

You would have more ends covered for overload if your circuit breaker capacity is also less than your batt’s max discharge rate.

Some big lifepo4 cells I had were rated a max discharge rate of 40amps. My controller was rated 40 amps so I thought I had max discharge covered without a circuit breaker — not so — every now and then one of the $40/cell would fail. Exceeding max discharge was the type of failing I thought to be case after I added a Cycle Analyst and could see the history of max discharge. The max output of the controller was not a mere 40 amps max — sometimes 50 amps.

Some info on these lifepo4 cells said brief peeks of 50 amps. Damage likely accumulates and will eventually leave a cell with an open circuit. So carry a jumper wire and you can get home under the power of one less cell

From the Web: A common LiFePO4 battery is rated at 100 amp hours and is roughly the size of a group 31 lead acid battery. These batteries are also rated as to their maximum discharge capacity. 100 Amps max discharge is common.
Thank you sir!
According to my battery producer, my specs are "3.2v 50ah lifepo4, 24S" & they said "the maximum peak value of 100A discharge can reach 150A" so I could use the 125a breaker or should I look for a 100a or 80a breaker? I also have a 63a breaker.

Another newbie question about battery chargers, can I use a battery charger that is labeled for a 72v 20S on my 72v 24S battery pack?

Circuit breakers will typically carry multiples of its rated current for a certain time before it trips (e.g double its rating for 50 seconds)and for this reason I would try to stick with the 63 Amp breaker or only go up one step (e.g 80 Amp) if this is necessary.
View attachment trip-curve-768x762.webp

Last edited:
dragon,

If you have a genuine battery warranty for say 100amps, then you are covered to that rate of discharge. I see Headway,the brand I had, now claims a peak discharge rate of 15C [ for 5 mil-sec?]. My cells were reputed “capable” of short discharge rates up to 50 amp. I was unable to get a single Headway cell replaced for open circuit failure. I have relegated the working remains of these lith-iron-phos batteries to running the power inverter when camping — they cannot run the microwave. SAG.

Back