New Electric Belt Driven Honda Grom/MSX clones

kin27779

1 mW
http://www.baopals.com/products/528426539518

I like this new concept. I feel the motor is a bit low powered (1200w) but the add claims 85kph top speed.
I think that with this set up it should be fairly easy to modify it by swapping in a better motor/ controller.
I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions about what motor might fit in quite nicely and be able to get in the 150kph range?
And what controller for that motor? all i can say is after owning a real Honda MSX 125 gas model, this size is perfect and fun for any rider.
I can't wait to see how fast the electric models can be modded to go. The electric belt drive is also great, no chain to lube/ quiet/ longer lasting.

Anyone picked one up yet to play around with and modify? about 1000usd. i am out here in shanghai So i have seen them on the streets and will
be getting one soon! I will update with my modifications and pictures.
TB2Ir7fqXXXXXXeXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!13934473.jpg

TB2O.kxlVXXXXXSXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!13934473.jpg

TB2HDr5lVXXXXbyXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!13934473.jpg_400x400.jpg

I was thinking to get the Motenergy ME1003 PMDC Motor, 12-72V, 15.4 hp cont, 30.8 hp pk
At about 30Hp, I think I could hit my goal of 150kph.
emc_rt_02_1_3.jpg

It looks like it will fit in the honda grom clone. here is a picture of it in a bigger bike. Do you think it can fit?
DSC00001.jpg

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/ev-parts/motor-drive-kits/me1003-emc-rt200-drive-kit-with-motor-controller-throttle-contactor-wire-kit-and-fuse-block.html
Its available with a controller here, and looks like I can utilize the bikes original 72v batter pack, So it would be just a motor controller swap for 1275usd and nearly doubling my power and top speed.

Welcome to the forum :)

As far as your modification plans go: (this likely sounds a litte critical, sorry)

The battery (72V 40Ah?) would be delivering 16A (0.4C) in the original bike, moving to the motor you suggested would require upto 320A! (8C)
to make the bike for $1000 they almost certainly won't be selling you high performance cells and also they probably won't be connected with wires that can take 320A, as such you would get a large voltage drop and would reduce the life of the batteries a LOT (or maybe they would just catch fire)

If you are going to get this bike and you are set on getting to 150kph you'll probably need to factor in a new battery pack as well as the motor/controller upgrade. Also if you get to 150kph you may find the bike is not very safe feeling... And you may wish for better brakes!

an easier approach involving less expense might be to just check the motor temp on an existing bike and if it stays relativly cool during normal use, then just put a higher power controller in the bike. You can probably get 3kw+ (though never having seen one this is purely a guess) .

Finally if you're using it on the road you may find that it is currently registered as a moped or similar, but by upgrading it, it may need re-registering into a higher catagory (motorbike) where you may need to pay road tax / insurance or maybe have it inspected (I have no idea about vehicle related laws in shanghai)

kin27779 said:
I was thinking to get the Motenergy ME1003 PMDC Motor, 12-72V, 15.4 hp cont, 30.8 hp pk
At about 30Hp, I think I could hit my goal of 150kph.
emc_rt_02_1_3.jpg

It looks like it will fit in the honda grom clone. here is a picture of it in a bigger bike. Do you think it can fit?
DSC00001.jpg

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/ev-parts/motor-drive-kits/me1003-emc-rt200-drive-kit-with-motor-controller-throttle-contactor-wire-kit-and-fuse-block.html
Its available with a controller here, and looks like I can utilize the bikes original 72v batter pack, So it would be just a motor controller swap for 1275usd and nearly doubling my power and top speed.

I strongly suggest you check out Electric Motorsport's owner and be sure you can get your money back if something goes wrong.

kin27779 said:

I like this new concept. I feel the motor is a bit low powered (1200w) but the add claims 85kph top speed.
I think that with this set up it should be fairly easy to modify it by swapping in a better motor/ controller.
I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions about what motor might fit in quite nicely and be able to get in the 150kph range?
And what controller for that motor? all i can say is after owning a real Honda MSX 125 gas model, this size is perfect and fun for any rider.
I can't wait to see how fast the electric models can be modded to go. The electric belt drive is also great, no chain to lube/ quiet/ longer lasting.

Anyone picked one up yet to play around with and modify? about 1000usd. i am out here in shanghai So i have seen them on the streets and will

Hahaha, your assumption about belt drives is incorrect.

Belt drives are inefficient and break down. Hub motors with the new waveform controllers are 2X to 6X more efficient. This is not a guess. I've owned and modded belt drives and our group even made them into chain drives, from frustration with breakdowns.

The long-distance adventure tour Zero electric motorcycles were modded to chain drive.

Go hub motor.

Also, is 150 kph on a Grom really a good idea? Braking? Chassis flex? Death wobble??

kin27779 said:

The white e-Grom doesn't look "right" imo.

Where is the saddle? The seat angle is too raked. This is some designer's idea -- it won't be rideable imo.

To reply to some of the questions and responses I just wanted to give my own personal experience.
I have owned a real gas powered honda grom in Taiwan. The Chain and gears needed to be changed at about 14,000 km's.
I have also owned some yamaha belt driven scooters such as the bws 125cc.
It has about the same power as a grom. It's stock belt will last 20,000 easy before breaking.
That is a good 6k more then the groms stock running gear. A high quality belt will go even longer,
sometimes about 40k-50k, but usually 30k.

I guess it all comes down to how high the quality of the belt you are using.
But steel motorcycle gears, the longer lasting one will give out and loose teeth between 14k-20k.

Back