New Lipo Battery - Turnigy - Multistar

xpc

1 mW
Paynesville - Gippsland Lakes, Victoria, Australia
Hi There, I need some input. I was going to buy 2 x 6s 16000amh Multistar batteries to run in series for a Bafang BBS 02, 750w, but HK are showing out of stock and on backorder. So my next best thinking is 3 packs of Turnigy 12s 15000amh hard packs. Charging in parallel. Just would like to know what the best setup would be.
I would also like the formula for charging and discharging lipos - will be using a Turnigy Accucel-8 150w 7amp charger
Thanking in advance

DAND214 said:
Confused!

Do you have a link to the 12s15000 battery?

Are you saying 3 x 4s packs or is there a 4s15000 pack?
The MultiStars are ok for light C rate. Would do fine on the BBS02.

They say they are on their way at one of the US sites.

Dan
I'm in oz - multistars 6s 16000amh are on back order.
The turnigy batteries are 4s 5000amh hardcase, so what I'm trying to do is have 44.4v @ 15000amh in series and set up to charge @ 3 packs @ 44.4v 5000amh.
I hope that I have cleared up my thought process

Often very tough to get what you want from HK this time of year, or even anytime other than spring. If you can stand it ( summer where you are) They usually improve stocking a lot by about Feb. I've been trying to make my annual resupply in Feb-March the last few years, so I get what I want at the local warehouse.

Nothing wrong with the 4s hardcases for the bike you will be running. 15 ah of even the cheaper 20c stuff will barely sag on that draw. If they are in stock, just snag those.

Thanks Dogman, HK did have stock of 6s 16000amh multistar oz warehouse pre christmas, I was too slow, all the stock went very quickly.
I know that you are or have used accucel-8 chargers, can you pls answer my second part about charging?
Regards David

Alan B said:
I have and use a Turnigy Accucel 8 charger, what exactly is your question?
Sorry for not making myself clearer.
If I'm using a Turnigy Accucel-8 charger, how long would it take me to charge 44.4 x 5000amh (3 x4s in parallel) ? There is a formula to work this out but I can't find it.
I intent to Parallel charge 3 packs using 3 chargers, giving me a total 44.4v 15000amh in series

xpc said:
Alan B said:
I have and use a Turnigy Accucel 8 charger, what exactly is your question?
Sorry for not making myself clearer.
If I'm using a Turnigy Accucel-8 charger, how long would it take me to charge 44.4 x 5000amh (3 x4s in parallel) ? There is a formula to work this out but I can't find it.
I intent to Parallel charge 3 packs using 3 chargers, giving me a total 44.4v 15000amh in series

That charger maxes at 150 watts or 7 amps, whichever is reached first. 6 cell packs are about 22 volts so at 7 amps that would be 154 watts, so the charger will start out just under 7 amps, and then the current will drop as the voltage rises. 25V is about the max voltage for a 6S pack so when it reaches 25V the max current this charger will put out is 6 amps. Then the voltage stays constant but the current drops as the battery fills up.

Each 5000 mAH brick will charge about 90% in an hour from this charger. So with one charger three bricks in parallel will take about 3 hours to get to 90%. The remainder takes awhile, not easy to predict how long.

I DON'T recommend reconfiguring battery packs to recharge them. This is how many battery accidents occur. Your pack is similar to the pack I use on my CroBorg. That pack has 12 Turnigy bricks, four in parallel in each of 3 series banks. So it is 18S4P 75Volts max 20 Amp Hours. To charge it with a single Accucel 8150 which is the way I first charged it, I would connect the Accucel to each bank and charge it, then move to the next bank. After doing this for awhile I moved to using a 75V bulk charger for awhile, then I moved to using three 25 Volt 13 Amp bulk chargers. I don't disconnect the pack, I just brought out three charge lines, one for each 6S bank. I monitor the cell voltages every few days through the JST-XH balance connections which are paralleled for each bank, but they are very boringly staying very well balanced.

The XT connections on the Multistars are much safer than the 4mm bullets on the Turnigy packs, so that helps keep things safe. There is still potential for fireworks if the XT main connector and JST balance connection are not routed to the same bank. So it is much safer to do this once, and then charge without reconfiguring the pack. I charge twice per day 5 days a week when the weather is good, so futzing around with a bunch of plugs is not fun.

I've mated the three PowerPole connector pairs into one connection for ease of charging. Here is a bulk charging connection from a single BMSBattery alloy charger, so only the two end connections are used:

20141025_213449.jpg

In this image the charging setup is three 24V Meanwell LED supplies set for 25.0V, each charging a separate 6S bank at 12 amps (nearly 1KW charging), here at low current at the end of the charge cycle. Note that all three supplies are adjusted to 25.0V, the inexpensive ebae meters don't agree perfectly but I use a much more accurate meter for setting the supply voltages and currents. These Meanwell LED supplies are voltage and current limited, and UL rated and power factor corrected, so no hacking needed. The charging wires tuck into a compartment on the bike so they don't hang out during operation. In my next battery pack upgrade I'm going to move them up near the seat and away from the chain:

20141021_105227.jpg

Thanks for getting him that answer.

The key thing is to think in watts or watt hours, then the math gets so simple I can do it. Pack has x watt hours. Charger has 150w, or 150wh in one hour. It will of course slow a lot for the last 50 watthours, but you can get a rough guess.

Breaking up the pack to charge each 15 ah section can be risky. Risk of grabbing the wrong two leads, and instead of series connection, getting the + and - of one pack connected to each other.

Develop a set routine, so you do it the same each time, carefully confirming which plug you have in each hand. Like a pilots pre flight, doing that routine the same way each time helps prevent boo boos. My approach was to look for the wire at the pack, then slide my hand along that wire to the end. Rather than grabbing ends. Also, I took it two by two. So if connecting 4 packs, I would not bunch all 4 together, then start connecting.

Now that I run 48v, I have been just bulk charging, in a safe area, for several years. I use the accucells mostly for the first few cycles of new packs, or the rarely needed balancing. I try not to discharge very deep, and the result is packs that stay fairly balanced a long time.

I don't exactly understand your question.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25005

The setup in the thread above is still one way to charge lipo. So many, all just as good as the other.

Back