Newbie project for commuting ebike - Help plz!

docw009 said:
PSWpower only sells 6FET 20A sinewave controller, but they are 36/48V and you can buy them as a kit with all the accessories. Their higher current 9 FET and 12FET models are square wave and sensorless. Those are about the same size as BMSBatteries S06, but the S06 is only for 36V.

Ok, so now for the big dilemma...

This (square wave 9fet):
http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2016-3f-3vm4
Or that (sine wave 6fet):
http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2016-3f-33c0
??

To summarize, now I go for the q128H just-motor scenario from bms (and the rest of the kit from psw), so I already have this to order:
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/775-16782-q128h-36v800w-rear-driving-ebike-hub-motor-ebike-kit.html#/42-voltage-36v/213-rpm-201

Why would you choose a 6 or 9 FET 500W controller for a 800W motor???
You need the 800W 12 FET controller to enjoy all the power that the q128H can take.

SlowCo said:
Why would you choose a 6 or 9 FET 500W controller for a 800W motor???
You need the 800W 12 FET controller to enjoy all the power that the q128H can take.

Oh ok!
So I go for this:
http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2016-3f-28ym
Right? :wink:

Not sure why you would want to order the motor and controller from different sellers? If you order the q128H from BMS Battery then why not also the controller from them?: https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/55...controller-ebike-kit.html#/44-voltage-36v_48v

And ask them to make sure the connectors from the controller to the motor and display etc. will match. So you receive a "plug and play" kit.

If you want a little more amps and sinewave controller then look at this one also: https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/66...imulation-sine-wave-controller-ebike-kit.html

@Slowco, I will need to buy from psw the battery but not the motor.

from bms i can get the motor but not the battery.

what is more, psw provides the controller, but as a kit..

I'd recommend the mac motor since they have a solid reputation here. I've been commuting myself on q-128 and it's ok but you soon realise that the cost difference per ride if you commute makes it totally worth it to buy the best quality parts.. If you can afford it at all.

You don't need brake sensors - they are unreliable in rain, sometimes shuts due to shorts. I've had several do this, or die during commuting.

Regarding the bms battery controllers:
-You don't need three speed switch, switch is included in the LCD-3.

-You need the LCD-3 or the controller will not output full power with throttle.

-The PAS function of the BMS controllers is not very good. Torque simulation, my ass! :D
I removed it and used throttle only after a while.

-The s12sh controllers are ok with q128 but a bit large in size.

Cheers

larsb said:
I'd recommend the mac motor since they have a solid reputation here. I've been commuting myself on q-128 and it's ok but you soon realise that the cost difference per ride if you commute makes it totally worth it to buy the best quality parts.. If you can afford it at all.

Nicely put.. "if I can afford it at all", the thing is, that mac motor would cost me a lot more (including tax and shipping). Another point is that I do not intend to ride daily. More like once or twice per week (i have calculated around 1300 km/year), so I would prefer to begin with some less-cost solution to do the experient, and from then on, if there is success I might invest more ;)

Daily and weekly are different things. My q128 was ok for 10000km before it gave up due to bearing failure and rust, not bad for the low cost and to do a tryout of ebiking but today i wouldn't buy it since it was a bit stressed on the steeper uphills.

larsb said:
My q128 was ok for 10000km before it gave up due to bearing failure and rust

In your part of the world, is salt used to cut the ice and snow on the roads?

donn said:
In your part of the world, is salt used to cut the ice and snow on the roads?

Are you kidding me? Greece? We d be happy to have snow twice a year in Athens... :D

nomidis said:
Sorry, my mistake, I updated now, I meant 2 rides/week.. :oops:

let's say a q128 lasts about the same in greece, then you'd be able to use the kit for 2x per week/50wks per year/15km for nearly 7 years. by that time you'd wished you'd bought a mac :D

lol! then i might upgrade earlier! i wish the experiment succeeds and i do the miles earlier than 7 years.. then it ll totally worth the upgrade :wink:

Sorry, I've been gone on a trip.
Well, this is going to piss a lot of people off, but you are getting a lot of info that is off the original idea and I would suggest you dis-regard everything you have been told since my last post.
I've been looking at how to make your order and the problem is, BMS Batt. has recently dropped more than half of the Q128 variants from their line up. And as usual, their product info is often mis-leading or/and confusing.
Perhaps I wasn't clear, but as I stated, all the components are NOT going to simply plug together and you are going to need to do some soldering of connectors, but this is no big deal and we can work that out once all the right components are ordered and received.
Let's start w/ the motor;
I think you want the Q128 C already built in the 700cc whl.
The C because this will accept your 11T sm gear cassette. If you buy the free wheel variant, you will then need to buy the Enoch DNP free wheel, which shipped to where you are is going to be over $50 US. It has to be the DNP because that is the only one that comes w/ the 11T sm. gear and you have to have that if you want to pedal along over 20 mph.
I am recommending the prebuilt wheel so you don't have to order a rim and the CORRECT spokes. It may a little more in freight, but you won't get the spokes wrong and you won't have to pay a shop to build the wheel.
The only Q128 C built in a wheel that BMS Battery now lists is this one;
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/769-16768-q128c-135mm-500w-rear-driving-ebike-hub-motor-wheel-ebike-kit.html#/43-voltage-48v/214-rpm-328
BUT, it is listed as a 48 V motor and the only speeds are 201 and 328. This really confusing because they do not tell us what the reduction ratios are or if the speed ranges are measured @ 48 Volts, which messes everything up because they cannot be directly compared to all the other variants that are rated @ 36 Volts?! Well, I have been dealing w/ BMS Battery long enough to strongly suspect that they just took the 36 V rated motor and for some reason those of us in the West can never understand, listed it as a 48 V motor. If it was truely a 201 rpm motor rated @ 48 Volts, that would be something like a 140 rpm motor if measured @ 36 Volts! Something that has never existed! You could press them on this, but don't expect a sensible answer. You will be talking with them several times, just to make sure that you get the correct items and to get real product info from their sales persons is a challenge. I have already told you this when I said the parts will not be intergreated as well as if you ordered from Em3ev. If you want your ebike stuff as a kit, then order everything from them(or possibly MXUS), they will make sure everything is right and plugs together and pay the extra $$$$!
Ok, if you are still w/ me here, this is what else you need to order from BMS Battery;
spoke wrench
hidden brake sensor
2) torque arms
left-hand, half-twist throttle
Now, from PWS Power;
the battery you originally listed
This controller;
http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2016-3f-3vm4
This IS the RIGHT controller for the Q128.
It is a simple square wave because the sine wave will cost you more and I'm trying to keep this project close to your intended (and modest) budget.
Get the 890 LED display and the PAS stuff.
The headlite is cheap and built cheap, so that is up to you.
Most people don't like the brk. levers, so that is why I susggested the hidden brk. sensors from BMS B. They will allow you to keep your bike's levers.
This controller is a little "soft" (low power) for the Q128, but it can easily be modified up to 23 Amps and you don't need a lot of power (which will drain your batt. faster) to do what you want to do.
If you decide to continues this build from these sources, you need to have the vendors confirm the parts number in an Email. Make them repeate them in writing!
You can make lists of your parts in the order forms and get a shipping quote w/out actually completing the order. This will give you an idea of how you are doing w/ the budget. I have no idea, but if I were to guess, I would say you are already over.
If you still want to proceed this way, let me know and we can start to cover when (and how) the orders will arrive and how to put everything together.
But it would be helpful if you payed attention to what I tell you so I don't have to repeate things(Sorry if I sound grumpy, it's just I have been doing this so long, my patience is wearing thin, and I AM old and grumpy :roll:

If this IS over what you can spend, we could think about starting again with the Q100H. You could safely put it in the frt. whl. and not have to mess with the gears.
A Q100 H 201 is what I run in the ft. of my 2WD and it will do 20 mph in a 700cc wheel. With the 9-FET controller, it would still be a good climber. It could be, thay you would save enough money, that you could afford to get a 52 V battery, which would bring the top speed up to 22 to 23 mph.
Many will say, it's not safe to use a hub motor in suspension forks, but that is not true(Even spindly forks like the ones on the bike you listed). But the motor must be very carefully mounted w/ 2 torque arms.
I rode Q100's and MXUS frt. mounted bikes for years and they were great.

Am i missing something? is the bike cost included in 700USD max?
Otherwise it doesn't look too hard, depending on if customs get you with the tax:

and as i stated before, skip the brake sensors, they are too poor quality to use or pay for
motomech is right that the smaller controller would be OK to use and that even the q100 would work for you if the hills aren't too steep and you pedal a little.
I've tried both but the q128/s12s combo is nicer for those days when you feel lazy or the sun is hot.

I just saw your intended amount of km's/year you'll be biking. Then I would suggest my initial advice on page 1 of this thread: a mid drive. Plug and play kit, no import tax or duty, no other rear wheel or cassette/freewheel and the power in all the gears. You won't be riding off road/sandy trails and live in a dry warm climate so just keep your chain clean and lubed and shift to the right gear (keep motor rpm up) and you'll not have to replace them every year. Total cost for a 750W (500W if you're not greedy / but can upgrade later) kit and battery will be around €500,-: http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2018-4c-h1fm and http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2017-5f-31t0

Just measure your bottom bracket width before ordering.

larsb said:
Am i missing something? is the bike cost included in 700USD max?
Otherwise it doesn't look too hard, depending on if customs get you with the tax:
Skärmavbild 2019-02-10 kl. 23.17.16.png

and as i stated before, skip the brake sensors, they are too poor quality to use or pay for
motomech is right that the smaller controller would be OK to use and that even the q100 would work for you if the hills aren't too steep and you pedal a little.
I've tried both but the q128/s12s combo is nicer for those days when you feel lazy or the sun is hot.

DNP free wheel
torque arms
silicone wire
connectors
mirror(s)
many think it is smart to buy an extra charger at the time of purchase because the genaric ones have such a high failure rate.
Plus, is there anyone here that kept the OEM tires for any length of time? I pretty much think flat resistant tires and tubes are a mandatory up-grade.
I had a S12S controller. 5 gallons of stuff in a 10 gallon bucket. They are HUGE.
And I believe his intent is to use the "dolphin" style battery for ease of mounting. How does one carry a big "block" battery like that? On a rack?($$$). Frame bag? ($$$)
He seems to have an idea of what he wants, why keep trying to push him into something else?

Yah, everyone can think for themselves? It's just to provide info on the available choices.
You take it too seriously, it's not an order list we're writing, he'll have to do the thinking and full calculation :D

Never mind the battery pack, it is what i first used myself. There are several bottle/dolphin batteries at bmsbattery at similar cost..

no, larsb, motomech is right, i do need help to create my order list. don't forget, as the title says.. i m a newbie :D

motomech, I cannot tell you how much i appreciate your input..
even though it kind of landed me to the reality of how complex things are in this hobby! :roll:

i was kind of enthusiastic and with high hopes i can get a good upgrade for my needs easily and with 500 budget, now i have to study further, as i do not have higher $$ to waste in low chances experiments..

from your posts yesterday, i am now considering the mid drive solution seriously..

oh no, sorry for not making it clear, no the bike not to be included in the cost, i have it already :mrgreen:

Back