Newbie question about my 48V1000W controller

gustbikes

1 µW
Hi, first post here, although I've reading the forums and getting helpful info for a while. Thanks! :)

I've recently got a rear Hub conversion kit but suddenly it started to fail. Then, we ran the tests suggested by the manual and they showed that the controller isn't working properly anymore. The worst part is that the brand is one of those uncommon ones with very few available info. I know, classic stupid newbie error. My question is: Can I use any 48V1000W controller for my bike?

I know they come with different functions and in different mosfets(?), so please could you help me with this problem or give some advice on what to look in a new controller?

Thanks!

Attached is a picture of the kit I got:

Attachments

• yes1528__1_720x.jpg
    yes1528__1_720x.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 519
gustbikes said:
I've recently got a rear Hub conversion kit but suddenly it started to fail. Then, we ran the tests suggested by the manual and they showed that the controller isn't working properly anymore.
What exactly does it not do now?

(just to make sure you get the right part replaced, and that there isn't something else in your system that could've caused it to fail that will just kill the new part too).

BTW, if the controller was in the bag, it probably died from overheating.

The worst part is that the brand is one of those uncommon ones with very few available info. I know, classic stupid newbie error. My question is: Can I use any 48V1000W controller for my bike?
If it was a 48v 1000w kit, then probably. Most generic controllers do the same thing in the same way...but some have extra features (LCD, etc) that others don't have.

All of them have different wiring, connectors, etc., so you'll probably have to cut and splice it into your system rather than just being plug and play. (even if you get a new one from the same place that sold the kit, it may be completely different than your original; tha'ts common).

What does the controller label say on it, exactly? (attach a clearly readable photo of the label if you can)

amberwolf said:
What exactly does it not do now?
What does the controller label say on it, exactly? (attach a clearly readable photo of the label if you can)

Thank you amberwolf!

1) The battery charges well and the throttle LED lights show the charge correctly. But, when pushing the throttle the motor doesn't work. We made it work once or twice for a few seconds, but then it went dead. Lastly, we did the test suggested and got incorrect values for voltage in the throttle cable. I've attached the troubleshooting guide that came with the kit, seriously :confused: . All test were OK, except for the step 4 Black and white measurement, which showed no voltage.

2) I looked for the label on the controller case and it seems to have been peeled off :(. I found that the kit is from AW / Yescom so I maybe be able to find some info about the controller. What information do you need about the controller?

Attachments

• Troubleshooting.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
YESCOM doesn't like negative reviews and will attempt to resolve your problem AFAIK. My similar kit from them has operated perfectly for four years.

2old said:
YESCOM doesn't like negative reviews and will attempt to resolve your problem AFAIK. My similar kit from them has operated perfectly for four years.

2old thanks!

Please, could you send me a picture of the label of your controller? As I explained, mine has its label peeled off and that has been a big obstacle in solving this problem.

Also, if you have any wiring diagram that would be really helpful too!

gustbikes said:
Please, could you send me a picture of the label of your controller? As I explained, mine has its label peeled off and that has been a big obstacle in solving this problem.
His label isn't going to tell you exactly what your controller is, becuase even if they are from the same place, even the same "kit", the controllers may be different. Even if they look the same on the outside (even the inside) they may be programmed or setup differently, effectively making them different controllers, different behavior, etc.

gustbikes said:
Lastly, we did the test suggested and got incorrect values for voltage in the throttle cable. I've attached the troubleshooting guide that came with the kit, seriously :confused: . All test were OK, except for the step 4 Black and white measurement, which showed no voltage.

Which measurement?

The first is to see if the throttle is making a signal.

The second is to see if the throttle is getting power from the controller.

If the first test fails, it measn the throttle either isn't getting power, or it is defective, or a wire is broken between throttle and where you measure.

If the second test fails, it means the controller is dead (no 5v output), or a wire is broken between controller and throttle / where you measure.

If you measure across each pair of black and red wires in other connectors (PAS, motor halls, etc) and also get no voltage, then the controller is dead. If you get 5v on these, then the throttle 5v wires are just broken somewhere.

If the controller is dead, then something happened.

What specifically happened between the time it worked, and the time it did not?

If it got hot, where is it mounted?

If it is in a bag, like the one in the picture, that can kill a controller by overheating.

2) I looked for the label on the controller case and it seems to have been peeled off :(. I found that the kit is from AW / Yescom so I maybe be able to find some info about the controller. What information do you need about the controller?
To find a replacment with the same functions, you need to know what kind (brand/model) it is, especially if it has a display you want to keep (they're only compatible with the same controller, or at least series, generally).

At the least, to get the same behavior, you need to know what the controller's voltage range / LVC is, so it doesn't damage your battery, and what the controller's current limit is, so it won't damage your motor (or battery) if it's too high, or not be high enough and not accelerate / etc the way you expect.

If your system has PAS or other functions, you'd need to make sure the new controller also supports those, if you want to keep them.

gustbikes, my controller is 30 amps, 48v and four years old; doubt you would learn anything. Have you tried to contact YESCOM (or acesseries on ebay)?

Back