nine continents kit with 10 amp ping

barneys34

10 mW
will my new v2.5 48 volt 10 amp ping be ok to power the 9 continents kit it comes with a 20 amp esc so it should be ok i hope to get 25-30 mph and around 15 miles range is this realistic on a giant xtc light weight mtb with slick road tyres i weigh around 12 stone

Barney,

It will take right around 20 amps to get the speed range you are looking for.

Assuming you get a full 10ah out of the battery you'll get 30 minutes of run time at 20 amps. That will get you theoretically 12.5-15 miles range. Other factors such as Peukerts effect (drawing 2C out of a duct tape battery) and stop/go conditions will reduce the useable watt hours. IOW I don't think you'll get the range you're looking for AT THE SPEED you specified.

If you slow down to 20 mph you should make 15 miles easy with light pedaling. Marginal with no pedaling.

Regards,
Bill

just pedal for the first two miles then you'll be fine for the rest of the way...or move up to 48v 15ah

Yeah, you'll have to play with the speed to get the range. Maybe more like 18 mph to go that far on 10 ah.

The other day I rode as fast as I could with my Nine Continent motor and 36V/6Ah LiMn pack. I used 14.7Wh/mile or 4.75Ah and covered 11.8 miles. The terrain was 1-2% grades with some 3-4% hills and my average speed was 20.8 mph. I was only using a 15A controller which slowed me down on the hills otherwise I would have been a little faster. The power consumption figure is the most I've ever used. If I had a 48V/10Ah battery (planning on it) and used say 8Ah of it at that same average speed I could probably go 26 miles. At the speed you want to go, 25-30 mph, you would probably go half as far, that is assuming you could average that kind of speed. By comparison if I slow to an average trip speed of 16.5-17.0 mph and pedal moderately I use under 8.0Wh/mi with the 9C and could go 48 miles on that same 8Ah of a 48V/10Ah pack.

-R

i am torn between the 9 continents and the new aetoma 750 watt kit the 9 continents is very big and i would need to source a black version to match my bike the aetoma is good for over 25 mph on 48 volts and even comes with a bag to put the ping battery in and its a good bit cheaper i need help what do i go for bearing in mind i live in the uk i am going to pay big money for delivery

I can't say about the 9 cont, since I haven't tried it. Black spray paint is easy as pie, so don't let cosmetics rule your choice. I do like the Aotema though, the 2009 model is pretty nice, and I like the way the no halls controller works very much. Other pedal first controllers really mean that, people talk about getting to 10 mph first. The aotema controller has the reliability of no halls, and still can start itself, though I find it works a lot better to just roll an inch forward as you put on the throttle. Dfinitely don't roll backwards any as you put on throttle. Price on both is about the same, so it's a hard choice. The main difference is one is a halls motor and one is a no halls motor. Depending on the source, the 9 cont can be a rear hub, so that is also a major difference. The aotema is strictly front hub.

barneys34 said:
i am torn between the 9 continents and the new aetoma 750 watt kit the 9 continents is very big and i would need to source a black version to match my bike the aetoma is good for over 25 mph on 48 volts and even comes with a bag to put the ping battery in and its a good bit cheaper i need help what do i go for bearing in mind i live in the uk i am going to pay big money for delivery

I was torn between the two also, what decided it for me was I got a slightly used front 9C motor with a controller for cheap, otherwise I was leaning towards the Aetoma. The Aetoma kits do seem to have the best "pedal-first" implementation of the bunch and just the phase power connection at the motor makes it nice and simple. The only downside I see to the Aetoma is their use of a single-wall rim, the 9C kits generally use a double-wall with some good spokes and nipples. I believe the two are well matched for speed, I top out at around 23.5mph with a 36V LiMn battery charged to 41.3V using a 700C x 35mm tire. I could probably reach 30 mph with a 48V pack. The downside with the 9C kit is that as you say it is a big motor and does make some noise, which I'm getting used to now. I don't think you can go wrong with either selection so your choice may simply come down to what color you can get or which rim most closely matches your present wheels.

-R

Back