No future for charging networks ?

Punx0r said:
raylo32 said:
When I travel from here to Florida I can get in my car in the morning and drive the 1050 miles straight through in about 14 hours, including 2 fuel stops. With a Tesla that would simply be impossible. You'd need at least 4 extra hours to charge which pretty much means another day. To me that is impractical. Maybe not to you.

Congratulations on your strong bladder. Your usage represents about 0.000001% of car journeys. If an EV doesn't work for you then so be it.

Yup. Peeing in a jug while driving is not my idea of fun. But knock yourself out.

We just did an 1153 mile round trip to New York in the Bolt...Rochester, and Ithaca. We took two days up, and one back. The two days up was pleasant. We only did the one day back because we knew we would be sleeping in our own bed. Doing that in one day is my idea of torture.

Warren said:
We just did an 1153 mile round trip to New York in the Bolt...Rochester, and Ithaca. We took two days up, and one back. The two days up was pleasant. We only did the one day back because we knew we would be sleeping in our own bed. Doing that in one day is my idea of torture.
So, 575 miles one way in “one day”...
..but how many hours between depart and arrive ?
How many hours traveling ?...
How many hours charging ?..

Hillhater said:
Warren said:
So, 575 miles one way in “one day”...
..but how many hours between depart and arrive ?
How many hours traveling ?...
How many hours charging ?..

It was 550 to Rochester, and 505 back from Ithaca. Each time we left with a 100% charge, and did two partial charges along the way...about an hour and a half total charging each way. We ran three miles over the speed limit, in cruise control. Our first charge stop each way was also a sit down lunch. The late afternoon stop was coffee, snacks, and a stroll to stretch our legs and wake up.

On the return leg, we stumbled on the Antique Wireless Museum. We spent two hours there...an amazing place. It is open two days a week, and we happened by on one of them!

Antique Wireless Museum.jpg

I feel people make a big deal about range for no good reason. Sure until batteries make a big jump in energy density an EV can't match the maximum distance you can travel in a day, but it's really not a sacrifice. Instead of driving straight through, just make small changes in how you travel and plan some long stops to both recharge and do something nice, fun, relaxing...whatever your cup of tea is, to make the trip itself enjoyable.

If traveling the maximum distance in a day is so important, then flying or taking a train slaughters what you can do in a car anyway, so compare the range of their precious smoke spewers to planes and trains.

Back