Noob help request - derestricting road legal kit.

Jeremy Harris said:
You need the sensorless version of this controller, or use this one and add a sensorless module (I have a spare sensorless module for one of these, it's a tiny add-on board that fits inside the controller case). Ed Lyen here sells sensorless, uprated, versions of this same controller, but they are more expensive: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19587

You could email Keywin Ge (a.k.a e-crazyman, the ebay seller mentioned previously) and ask if he has a sensorless version available (I'm pretty sure he will have, as he supplies controllers to a fair few people directly, including Ed Lyen, I believe). The snag with contacting Keywin right now is that it's Chinese New Year tomorrow, with a ten day public holiday in China. This means you're not likely to get a response from any Chinese vendor for a couple of weeks.

Jeremy

Thanks for the reply Jeremy, I thought as much. I have looked at Ed Lyen's controllers but I’m not very technical with controllers so to me it looks quite complicated with all the programming and stuff and I’m not sure i want to pull 20A from the battery (think battery is rated for maximum discharge of 20A and rated at 10A continuous) as i believe it comes set for 20A and I wouldn’t know how to change it anyway.

I think ill email Crazyman and see if he can supply a sensorless version of the controller as I’m sure 15A would be sufficient for kit I have now. I’m not in a great rush as I still have an operational kit, albeit a slow one so I’m looking for something that’s more plug and play for now I think. feel free to correct me if I’m wrong on my assumption of Lyens controller though as I’m sure the added functionality would serve me well down the line but for the minute I wouldn’t know where to start with programming it.

If you're not in a hurry and only need modest power, then I'd go with something from Keywin Ge (e-crazyman) as it'll be the same basic controller as the one from Ed Lyen, without the upgraded components. These controllers are all programmable, via a serial port, using a bit of free software, but you could stick with the default settings and it'd work fine.

Jeremy

hosepipe said:
I used to have a 260rpm 250w tongxin that happily got me to 22 mph. Poor hillclimbing on it's own but between my legs and it's power it would fly up 10% hills at 17mph. Admittedly a lot of my legs but still, I got to the top much faster and less tired than otherwise.

I'd be totally happy with that speed if I could get my mine to do that and to be honest, the hills are not too scary round here (apart from one 17% 1.5mile one which is my nemesis) so I'm not looking for a pikes peak hillclimber just something that will send me along on the flats and give me a little assistance on the hills. Im sure ill get there once i find the right controller for the job.

Jeremy Harris said:
If you're not in a hurry and only need modest power, then I'd go with something from Keywin Ge (e-crazyman) as it'll be the same basic controller as the one from Ed Lyen, without the upgraded components. These controllers are all programmable, via a serial port, using a bit of free software, but you could stick with the default settings and it'd work fine.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, your advice is greatly appreciated.

I don't know where you are based but If you want to try out my bike to get a feel for how much assistance a small motor actually gives you are welcome to. I'm in london. I'm on a 190rpm now so it's not quite the same but makes little noticeable difference in terms of how much effort you need to put in to go uphill.

I ride uphill like I was on my own power, as in I pedal hard, then enjoy the feeling of shooting UPhill at high speed. But 250watts and no pedalling on a high rom motor isn't gonna happen on a hill.

Now on the flat I often didn't pedal at all as I couldn't keep up, so then you can kick back and enjoy.

hosepipe said:
I don't know where you are based but If you want to try out my bike to get a feel for how much assistance a small motor actually gives you are welcome to. I'm in london. I'm on a 190rpm now so it's not quite the same but makes little noticeable difference in terms of how much effort you need to put in to go uphill.

I ride uphill like I was on my own power, as in I pedal hard, then enjoy the feeling of shooting UPhill at high speed. But 250watts and no pedalling on a high rom motor isn't gonna happen on a hill.

Now on the flat I often didn't pedal at all as I couldn't keep up, so then you can kick back and enjoy.

Well im in West Yorkshire so would be a 500 mile round trip to test the bike out but thanks for the offer :) I really dont mind pedalling in general and i didnt want to get a kit that would take me up the hills on throttle only. The ONLY problem i have with my kit is the 14mph limit. as this limit is making the motor all but useless on the flats so i either take the kit off or make it go faster i think, but hopefully that wont be a problem much longer as im ordering a new controller from crazyman. If i can get 18-20mph with the new controller and still manage to get 15-20 miles form the battery (currently im on about 40% DOD when i get home after a 17 mile run) then ill be happy... well that is until such time as the desease moves on to stage 2 and i get that crazy itch.

Heres hoping ill be able to kick back and enjoy the flats soon :)

Well just thought id post a little update on here as its been a while and might answer some questions for anyone else that has or is thinking of getting this kit. I got the new controller from E-crazyman, im not quite sure how he did it but i got the controller 4 days after placing my order from china... thats fast turnaround. the controller is excellent, really braught the bike to life up inclines and when speeding up but sadly still struggles to reach a desirable speed on the flats (not a fault of the controller this is the motor limit at 36v by the looks of it), although i now get about 17mph on a fresh battery rather than 14 but that slowly deminishes as the battery looses voltage.

did a 20miles run the other week and used 7.3ah (the most i have ever used) and that was WOT for at least 80% of it although i cant help pedaling and did include 2 or 3 NASTY hills of 20%+grade which the little motor just takes in its stride now with my help and is barely warm at the top.(wish i could say the same for my legs).

At least now i know what the weak part is in this kit, and thats the battery, the stock controller was really bad but thats not costly to upgrade. The battery is totally gutless as well and mine can only burst 19 amps which equates to just over 700watts output (tested with a Watts up meter)and soon bogs down with a 5+v drop at that amperage, basically anything over 10amps draw is really spanking the battery so im not expecting it to last any great length of time... at my 2-3 cycles per week im guessing ill get about 12 months out of it if im lucky.

As a last note i must say thank you to all of you who contribute to this forum not only for the information that you all are so willing to kindly provide to us but also thanks for making sure the desease spreads. I have to report that im already moving onto the 2nd stage and have that itch that some of you have talked about... i must say those 9c kits from ebikes.ca with the cycle analyst are looking mighty tasty to me right now, not to mention 4 zippy flightmax 8000mah 6s lipo's from hobbycity. just deciding what winding to choose when i do make the plunge 05, 06, or 07. Im thinking about going down the middle but im still reading up on the pros and cons about all this stuff, any oppinions with respect to this is greatly appreciated ;)

Glad to hear that worked out.
Sounds like you're torturing that poor battery now, lol..

Back