Norco scene for donor bike, motor options?

Bikegirl

10 W
Hi guys, I'm looking at getting a second hand norco scene.

Just wondering if I go with a front or rear Mac motor or tsdz2 mid drive, and pros and cons of each. Prefer pas control and 52v so I can pair it with existing battery.

It will be for commuting primarily, reliability over top speed.

It has 135mm rear dropouts, with 9sp cassette and 1x up front. Disc brakes front and back. 650b wheels.
970b3e2cf1754bcfa5d59cd19542a181.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The "TS" hangs down like a cow's udder in the best of circumstances, and on that bike looks like it would be exacerbated and the ground clearance would be limited severely. Rear hub would seem like the best choice (to me).

2old said:
The "TS" hangs down like a cow's udder in the best of circumstances, and on that bike looks like it would be exacerbated and the ground clearance would be limited severely. Rear hub would seem like the best choice (to me).

lets see how this ages

A typical rear hub motor would be ideal, but most come in 7 speed screw on freewheel. This is a bit of a pain, you would need a 7 speed shifter too. Losing a few gears is not a problem while riding, because you don't need gears so close in ratios for motor riding. Many use only one or two highest gears when you motor. There are some cassette motors out there now.

But no particular reason not to go with a front hub either. Only if you ride dirt roads a lot would a rear hub be a must have thing. Its a bit funny at first having such a heavy front wheel, but really it only makes it hard to curb hop. Otherwise rides fine, and you get used to the motor pulling very quick.

Hi guys,

If I go with a rear hub motor what would be the best way of adding torque sensing bb control?

Just thinking of non-ebike ppl who will be using my bike to keep up with us.

While torque sensing is very very nice, the main thing you need to look for is a setup that allows you to self reprogram the rotational pedal sensor system. Many are just set too perky, and result in a fun and powerful take off preferred by many, but which is totally uncomfortable to a new rider. Get one that allows some choices, so you can set it off to take off more mellow, and after close to a full rotation of the pedals. This way you don't have such a weird ride, or have to learn to use the throttle.

There are many places for this, but one I know of for sure is my former employer, E-bikekit.com. Mostly just a matter of getting a more sophisticated pedal assist kit, vs the cheapest possible option on e bay. So if they offer a range of displays, get the more expensive one.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I am thinking I would like to keep this bike fairly stealth and go with a rear hub motor.

Options are either the ezee or bafang 310 or similar performance hub motor.

I really like how the rtr kits from grin slide the controller under the battery and one connector between battery/controller and motor. However I really don't want a big display in the CA.

I would really like to use an eggrider v2 for display but prefer the performance of the ezee. Has anyone seen other display options for the ezee? Or hacked the eggrider for compatibility with grin baserunner?

I'm probably trying to push uphill but just want to flesh out my options before I get my money out.

Hi guys, I just looked into shopping for my order. INSANE. any idea how people from Australia split between grin and Em3ev to get a good deal?

Maybe battery from Em3ev whilst getting the baserunner from grin? Are the bms compatible?

If you're in Australia you should definitely not get a battery from Grin, Why ship something all the way from China to BC and then back to Aus? I would absolutely reccomend a grin controller and other parts, they really know their stuff and stand behind their products. The systems don't really care what battery they're looking at, as long as you get a controller that can handle the battery voltage you choose.

Thanks, if I get a shark battery from Em3ev it won't fit on the bracket though will it? As it uses a full length bracket.

Any recommendations for trusted sellers for this style battery in 36-52v 17-19ah range?

Back