OpenBafangTool - New Open-Source Bafang Configuration Tool

AndreyPr

1 mW
Hello.
I'm happy to introduce my new open source project - OpenBafangTool.
Currently it has functions like Stefan Penoff's Bafang Configuration Tool and is in alpha phase, but I'm planning to add more supported devices (currently I'm working on support of Yamaha, so it will be available later). Now it supports all bafang motors with UART interface. The main goal of project to make modern cross-platform alternative to Penoff's tool with updates, new features and different supported devices.
You can download executables for windows and linux (AppImage) and the manual here, source code is available here.
Currently this project in early alpha phase, so please use it carefully.
I'm looking forward for your feedback!

I created account here just to say thanks for Your work :). I actually start my adventure with bafang and this looks very nice.

I created account here just to say thanks for Your work :). I actually start my adventure with bafang and this looks very nice.
Glad to hear that.

Also, new release with support of systems with CAN bus will be available until end of month

you mean m400 m500 m600 motors ?
Nearly yes - usually motors of this models (as well as other new models) equipped with CAN controllers. You can recognize them by display connector. If it looks like on this photo its CANdisplej-stredoveho-motoru-bafang-mx-c18-1.jpg

forgive my ignorance but where can I get this cable for bafang m600 ? will this work with any firmware?

€89.99 original bafang cable ? so you only want to replace besst software but this horribly overpriced cable remains ? will this have advantage over dpc245 v3 with bluetooth and bafang go+ ?

€89.99 original bafang cable ? so you only want to replace besst software but this horribly overpriced cable remains ?
In the future release I'll replace in with cheap Canable Pro (12$). Price for original besst tool is not a biggest problem, the main problem of original solution is that original besst desktop program requires official login or piracy, and even with usual dealer-level login it hides many interesting things from user

Thanks for helping bafang users liberate their systems from unnecessary restrictions :)

In the future release I'll replace in with cheap Canable Pro (12$). Price for original besst tool is not a biggest problem, the main problem of original solution is that original besst desktop program requires official login or piracy, and even with usual dealer-level login it hides many interesting things from user
okay . what about second part of the question?

when considering piracy...bafang might see this software of yours as a piracy actually...on the other hand consumers these days pay for products that are stripped from let's say half features and later they propose to unlock these but for the hefty price of course...so anyways I'm on your side

when considering piracy...bafang might see this software of yours as a piracy actually...on the other hand consumers these days pay for products that are stripped from let's say half features and later they propose to unlock these but for the hefty price of course...so anyways I'm on your side
My software is not pirated since it contains no code written by bafang. All code is written by me or taken from libraries with permissive license (MIT, etc)

I'm with you . just want to emphasize that nowadays companies try to commercialize ideas...bafang could provide simple usb cable for programming m series motors but they choose to force users to buy expensive besst tool moreover restricting access with some logins...on top of that they made their cranks incompatible with industry standards so you have to pay them even more

I'm with you . just want to emphasize that nowadays companies try to commercialize ideas...bafang could provide simple usb cable for programming m series motors but they choose to force users to buy expensive besst tool moreover restricting access with some logins...on top of that they made their cranks incompatible with industry standards so you have to pay them even more
Normally besst tool is device not for users, but for dealers. For dealer firm 100$ is nothing. As user you just can not obtain legal account for besst software at all. In best case very limited one

I downloaded the app and connected to the M500 motor via the Best tool. But I didn't manage to change anything. Am I making a mistake somewhere?

I downloaded the app and connected to the M500 motor via the Best tool. But I didn't manage to change anything. Am I making a mistake somewhere?
In current version most of available parameters only for diagnostics (except wheel size). This version is just MVP. I am already working on next version with access to configuration

Back