Oregon Manifest: Designing the ultimate modern utility bike

Lock

100 MW
http://www.core77.com/oregonmanifest/2011/07/oregon-manifest-july-diary-ideo-x-rock-lobster.asp
From the IDEO x Rock Lobster team | 13 Jul 2011
The mere thought of building an electric bike for the Oregon Manifest sparked immediate debate and disagreement between all members of our team. While some debated whether an e-bike's extra speed might be unfair, others resented the additional weight and doubted the utility—and more than one of us was convinced that electric bikes were simply destined to be hopelessly lame. We attempted to settle the matter by making a trip to a local retailer of electric bikes, where we test rode close to a dozen different commercial e-bikes. The result was disappointing—not a single bike felt like something we'd ever hope to own. The takeaway seemed to be that commercial electric bikes are split between either monstrously heavy, over-powered mini-motorcycles, or flimsy folding models more akin to a folding scooter than an actual bicycle.
We found common flaws to be a baffling array of unnecessary instrumentation strapped to the handlebars, clumsily executed fist-fulls of wire, confusing controls, oversized, boxy batteries and bargain-basement components (despite the $1000+ price tags on most of these bikes). Shortcomings aside, though, there's something undeniably fun about the feeling of riding a bicycle with a motor. Going fast is fun—especially when it's half the work. Just check out the grin on the face of Kyle Doerksen (top right picture), electric vehicle wizard and the newest member of IDEO's Oregon Manifest team.
At the brink of despair over the prospects for a well-executed e-bike, Purin lifted our spirits when he brought in his latest project bike, nothing more than a clean, simple, small electric motor fitted to a nicely built vintage single speed.
05_IDEO.jpg

Full article in the link...
tks
Lock

With that attitude pedalists will quickly get left behind as ebikes go mainstream. I do however question the utility of typical ebikes though. To me electric cargo type bikes are drastically more useful vehicles, whether the extra space is for cargo or passengers.

seems like they are echoing what many have said on this forum,
being turned off by the lack of quality of the current mainstream ebikes
and a quest for a lightweight quality e-bike (ie kepler)
having a bike that you can't easily lift turns off both serious cyclists and casual riders alike.

remember, half of that design team is IDEO, not a bike company...

Meanwhile, from the far corners of the Interbike trade show, from the cheesy tourist tours over the Golden Gate Bridge and from the spirited debates on tech forums in esoteric corners of the internet, electric bicycles consistently and emphatically captured our attention.

Low-cost, high-efficiency hub motors and advanced new battery technologies borrowed from the electric vehicle industry offer exciting new possibilities to electrify bicycles with a minimum of compromise on weight and handling. Yet, with a few notable exceptions, the majority of e-bikes—certainly almost all of those commercially available—are painfully heavy, over-instrumented, poorly spec'ed designs that fall short of the performance of a motorcycle, while wringing the fun out of riding a bike.

We believe that in the marriage of the vintage trade bike and the "modern" electric bike lays a harmony that captures the best possibilities of each architecture in a design ideally suited to the diverse needs of the San Francisco—or Portland—rider. From those two inspirational starting points, our team has decided on a vision for our bike that we're extremely excited about... and we'll share it here:

http://oregonmanifest.com/challenge/

The Oregon Manifest
Constructor’s Design Challenge,
September 23/24, 2011
We’re looking for the ultimate utility bike for modern living!

The Oregon Manifest Constructor’s Design Challenge is a one-of-a-kind design/build competition, in which some of the country’s best custom bike craftsman and select student teams vie to create the ultimate modern utility bike.
Our mission is threefold

FIRST, to inspire and foster real design innovation around a bike that recognizes the needs of modern living. SECOND, to celebrate and champion the resurgence of American craft—bicycle craft in particular. THIRD, to show riders and enthusiasts that a well-crafted bicycle isn’t just for sport and recreation, but can also be a tool integrating seamlessly into everyday life.
Why a utility bike?

The two-wheeled revolution won’t come on the saddle of a race bike or a specialty bike. The utility bike is the transportation mode of the future for millions of Americans who want to live healthier, more sustainable lives, but don’t think of themselves as “cyclists.” The key to realizing this future is thoughtful, innovative bike design that fills multiple needs and fits into their lives.

sk8norcal said:
seems like they are echoing what many have said on this forum,
being turned off by the lack of quality of the current mainstream ebikes
and a quest for a lightweight quality e-bike (ie kepler)
having a bike that you can't easily lift turns off both serious cyclists and casual riders alike.

Amen, brother! :)

Looks like a very fun bike. But where's the utility, when you still have to ride with that 12 pack tucked under your arm?

I have to agree though, that both of my utility rides weigh too much. With one battery and a kit of tools, spare tube, pump etc, my commuter weighs 80 pounds, and my longtail 120.

But both have utility, with full panniers and 20-35 mile range. Both feel light to my feet at least, with 1000 watts. Niether will handle like a bike that is sub 30 pounds, such as my vintage roadbike.

Both are a thousand percent better than any 250 watt premade bike, or any 1000 watt scooter style ebike.

Isn't it amazing that there are millions of ebikes and kits made a year, but NO ONE has started to make quality throttles and brakes? If the big guys want to charge $1k+ for an ebike, they should at least have the decency to have their factories throw some hall sensors in a decent set of brake levers. Not all of us live in China and can get replacement parts at a shop down the road for $1.

auraslip said:
Isn't it amazing that there are millions of ebikes and kits made a year, but NO ONE has started to make quality throttles and brakes? If the big guys want to charge $1k+ for an ebike, they should at least have the decency to have their factories throw some hall sensors in a decent set of brake levers. Not all of us live in China and can get replacement parts at a shop down the road for $1.

What about linear hall sensors that clamp directly to a cable, so that you could use any existing high-quality brake as an e-brake or front changer as a throttle?

dogman said:
Looks like a very fun bike. But where's the utility, when you still have to ride with that 12 pack tucked under your arm?

My thoughts too.

However, that aside, this is what will get 1000X more people interested in ebikes. Simple cheap and practical. I know it's not really exciting for our crowd per-se, but there are exponentially more ordinary hardcore cyclists, that would love this stuff.

Whats the hub btw? EZ?

dogman said:

That's not their competition entry, just a project bike that persuaded them that ebikes did not have to be slow motorbikes or tacky folders.

The full design critera can be found here and include:

Functionality: The Field Test
The Constructor’s Design Challenge calls for functional design solutions. A bike’s ability to 
perform well on and be equipped for the varying terrain of the Field Test is essential. The Field Test route could include urban scenes, dirt roads, asphalt, gravel, hills, and stairs.

Anti-Theft System: System should prove to be secure and easy to use.
Lighting System: System should aid vision and create visibility on the road.
Load-Carrying System: Entries must carry a variety of loads through a variety of conditions on-course. System should accommodate a small bag of groceries, an oversized postal box, poster tube, and/or a six-pack of beverage containers.
Freestanding Under Load System: Bike must freestand under a variety of loads on a variety of surfaces.
Fender System: Fender system must keep bike and rider clean.
Post-ride Condition: Bikes should complete the Field Test with no resulting loose, inoperable, or broken elements. All mandatory features should emerge in excellent condition and bike should be rattle-free.

Some interesting participants - I'm looking forward to the results.

I like this idea. It's a bit like the "Competition for Touring Bikes" organized by the Touring Club de France in 1902. That was organised to encourage the design of bicycles specifically for touring.

Yeah, good on em to even think about a decent design for an ebike. I think the bike in the pic is great, I just got a laugh about it being called utiliy, without so much as a fender or cargo rack on it.

I still haven't had a lightish road bike with a 300 watt motor and 5 lb battery. Bet I'd love one. But this is my utility bike.P7150004.JPG

Ahhhh nice dogman. That turned great.

I too want to build a stealth hub motor 5lb battery road bike. At least that way I can go on group rides with out everyone noticing I'm "cheating."
Speaking of group rides.... 167 confirmed for the summer booze & cruize tonight and 300 maybes. Gonna be a fun night for denton cops trying to track down a huge bicycle "wolf pack" roaming from house party to house party.

http://bikeportland.org/2011/09/23/best-e-bike-ever-the-ideorock-lobster-oregon-manifest-entry-59542
What happens when you combine one of the most esteemed product design and "innovation consultant" firms in the world, a highly respected custom bike builder, and the latest battery technology and then tell them to build the ultimate utility bike?

Introducing the Faraday, the Oregon Manifest Constructor's Design Challenge Entry from the San Francisco-based IDEO/Rock Lobster team...
6175617639_d9748ede4a.jpg

The throttle to power the bike was custom fabricated and the color ties in to the Faraday's color scheme...
6175619111_472957bf76.jpg

They call them lights but I call them laser beams. These things not only look cool, they are blindingly bright.
6176146756_5a355b8393.jpg

Full story and more pics in the link

l0cK

Slick design. I've been anticipating the fixed-to-the-frame front cargo shelf with full size front wheel. Batteries in the tubes and hidden wiring is very slick. That front tire seems undersized, though. Let's face it, you're going to slam into some road irregularities when you cant see what's in front of your contact patch.

utility trikes ftwtwins.jpg

that, my friend, was a lol-bump
but also off-topic:

in my experience the words "utility" and "bicycle" are polar-opposites to one another until one adds the word "trailer"
:lol:

Yes, but you are thinking of REAL cargo... the Faraday Poseur is for FAUX cargo...
:lol:
Backers

$38,113
pledged of $100,000 goal

days to go

:)

real utility bike errr trike.jpg
:mrgreen:

Yes, but these are REAL MENS cargo bikes... is that a reflector on the back of the seat?!!! Awesome :D

Looking fwd now to your polished presentation on Kickstarter.com...

Meanwhile, Poseur bike rocketing up the charts
Backers

$39,008
pledged of $100,000 goal

days to go

Interesting, first 46 pledges averaged $336 each, next 61 pledges have averaged $386, so for these two "slices" average pledges have increased 15%

Lock said:
Yes, but these are REAL MENS cargo bikes... is that a reflector on the back of the seat?!!! Awesome :D
That, my friend is A REAL old MEN super-duper comfort exercise machine where I gets to go places. Do laundry. Forage for sustenance etc etc...
The big red dot is actually a folding stool with a florescent red seat. Very useful when fixing flats and doubles as a reflector.
The pink hat was recently added to my "ways of avoiding drivers focused on their cell phones" and has so far provided astounding and amazing results... although I ain't never gonna lower my guard while pedaling any bike/trike.

Lock said:
Looking fwd now to your polished presentation on Kickstarter.com...
lol

It's obvious that faraday is doing something right and has a design that the public not only wants but is willing to pay $3500 for.

Faraday has pre sold a bunch of bicycles in only a week.

I guess performance isnt everything after all.

http://www.electricbike.com/faraday/

Back