Overvolting a Heinzmann...

dermot

100 W
I have an old Heinzmann 400W 163rpm front hub motor (DC brushed) and a 36V Heinzmann 36V 25A controller (left over from when my Trek was stolen, which had a larger battery and external controller).

In a 26" wheel, the Heinzmann will only deliver something like 12mph, which is a bit anaemic, but running it on 36V would a) make it run at a reasonable speed and b) use up some otherwise wasted components.

Obviously such treatment will reduce the life of the motor generally and the brushes in particular (and how much of a job is it to change the brushes, anyway?) but are we talking about failure in weeks, months or years?

My old 36V 500W Heinzmann lasted for many years without any problems, before being stolen, so I'd like to think that even overvolted a bit I might still see a reasonable life - especially since I only want it for a spare bike in any case.

dermot

As soon as I finish new rim I plan to run my Heinzmann 400W24V brushed at 500W36V. I don't think that is too much of an over power. But i will let you know.

36 volts is fine with a 20 amp controller... I run mine back and forth to work, 8 miles one way... speed is around 19 to 20 on the flats. Its an amp hour hungry motor and really sings loud at that speed, but it will not harm the motor.... of course your next question is "what will 48 volts do????" I can tell you that 48 volts will strip the press fit gear on the motor. So will plus 20 amps at any voltage... I know.. search for repairing a heinzmann here on the forum...

bob in phx.

i know, but i have so much JB Weld and bearing retainer on the gear that i think it is stronger than originally. in the end i thought the gear which spun should have been installed on a splined shaft. but i think the bearing retainer will hold it, gotta try. well maybe i don't.

From what i have read about Heinzmann, the stock controller ramps up power to avoid sudden strain on the motor.

If you plan to overvolt the Heinzmann please use the thermal sensor as a controller cutout. This is safe. 20A limit is also pretty safe. The 24V motor was rated to 17A steady state and 25A surge.

I didn't listen to Gman, and my 24v motor lasted 30 minuites during a "test ride" on a 35 amp controller with 36v. You really do need the sensor if you ride full throttle. 20 amps would be safer, of course, overvolting AND overamping was my bad.

Back