• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Overvolting

Hi,
If I overvolt my scooter from 60V to 72V, assuming the controller can take the higher voltage, is there any other part/component in the scooter that I also need to upgrade? Will lights, horn and other electrical parts be able to deal with the higher voltage? Thanks!

Marcelo1969 said:
Hi,
If I overvolt my scooter from 60V to 72V, assuming the controller can take the higher voltage, is there any other part/component in the scooter that I also need to upgrade? Will lights, horn and other electrical parts be able to deal with the higher voltage? Thanks!

Why do you want to over volt it?
Open the controller up and see what the capacitors are rated for.
If you over volt, and your battery does not have a BMS to cut off power, then your battery will not live long.

Depends on how they set it up to begin with. If they're running all of the ancillary stuff at pack voltage you'll need to make sure all of the components are rated to handle the higher voltage. However if they use a dc to dc converter to change pack voltage into 12v then you'll likely just need to ensure that the DC to DC converter is rated to handle the higher voltage.

Stuff like power buttons or ignition switches, possibly the display, etc may also potentially see full pack voltage as well. Without knowing a whole lot more about the scooter it's impossible to say.

You can start metering lights and ignition switches and stuff to see what voltage it's running at now. If 12v, find what's handling dc conversion and examine it. If pack voltage be sure the component itself can handle the increase. Generally meaning open it up and examine capacitors, fets, etc to ensure they are appropriately rated.

Throttles, brake switches, USB ports, and anything else that typically runs at 5v should be unaffected either way if it's getting that 5v from the controller. Assuming the controller itself is properly rated for the input voltage of course.

Thank you HK12K. Before disassembling the whole bike (too many plastic parts that may easily break), I was wondering if there is any previous experience that I can leverage on.
My scooter is a Taotao806, please see photo attached. If any of you guys have overvolted this scooter I would be interested in learning how you did it and whether major changes are required.
Thanks a lot!

HK12K said:
Depends on how they set it up to begin with. If they're running all of the ancillary stuff at pack voltage you'll need to make sure all of the components are rated to handle the higher voltage. However if they use a dc to dc converter to change pack voltage into 12v then you'll likely just need to ensure that the DC to DC converter is rated to handle the higher voltage.

Stuff like power buttons or ignition switches, possibly the display, etc may also potentially see full pack voltage as well. Without knowing a whole lot more about the scooter it's impossible to say.

You can start metering lights and ignition switches and stuff to see what voltage it's running at now. If 12v, find what's handling dc conversion and examine it. If pack voltage be sure the component itself can handle the increase. Generally meaning open it up and examine capacitors, fets, etc to ensure they are appropriately rated.

Throttles, brake switches, USB ports, and anything else that typically runs at 5v should be unaffected either way if it's getting that 5v from the controller. Assuming the controller itself is properly rated for the input voltage of course.

Attachments

• taotao 806.jpg
    taotao 806.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 315
Back