60v electric scooter turns on but won't charge

iridie

1 mW
Hello all I have an Amazon e scooter that worked fine until the other day. The 60v 5a charger no longer turns on when plugged in. I don't know what happened exactly as I'm not the one that unplugged it last. Thanks friend that will remain nameless. He has unplugged it for me several times and as he has experience with his own electric scooter he knows proper charger etiquette. He didn't make any mention of an arc or burning smell or anything so I have no proper starting point for this issue. The scooter still runs as I took it for a spin when I got home and according to the I only ran it down 25%.

So as it is now the scooter is at 75% according to both the ey3 and the iride display. I rode it to the corner store 4 days ago with no issues. In the 5 days since the issue appeared I've tried a total of 3 chargers. 2 60v 5a chargers came defective as both the red and green lights were on when plugged into the outlet and never changed when plugged into the scooter. The 3rd is a 67v 2a charger that shows green when plugged into the outlet but stays green when plugged into the scooter.

How do I go about troubleshooting this issue so I can get the scooter charging again. I am hoping that there is no issue with the battery since the scooter runs. Is this a correct way of looking at this issue? I am planning on taking the deck off in the morning and examining the charger port. I do have a multimeter that I will be learning to use tomorrow. What steps would you take to troubleshoot this particular issue?

Measure the voltage on the charger output plug, while it's ohter plug is connected to a known-working wall outlet (that say, a lamp lights up when plugged into).

If the charger has the correct full voltage as marked on it's label, then it's likely there's something wrong with the connector on the battery or scooter that the charger plugs into, or something wrong wiht the battery itself that is preventing charge.

Depending on the BMS design and pack wiring, you could have various problems that prevent charging that still allow discharging.

In the 5 days since the issue appeared I've tried a total of 3 chargers. 2 60v 5a chargers came defective as both the red and green lights were on when plugged into the outlet and never changed when plugged into the scooter.
Where did these two come from?

The 60v 5a charger no longer turns on when plugged in.
Is this one of the two above, or a third one of the same type, or something different?

By "no longer turns on", what specifically do you mean? No voltage output, or no lights, or no fan noises, or...?

Is this only when plugged into the wall, or only when plugged into both wall and battery?

The 3rd is a 67v 2a charger that shows green when plugged into the outlet but stays green when plugged into the scooter.

You don't want to use a charger that is higher voltage than your battery is meant to charge to. If you do, and the battery's BMS fails to turn the output off for any reason, it could be overcharged, which can cause damage to the cells that can lead to a fire then, or at any moment in the future (even after you drain it back down).

Unless the scooter has an overvoltage protection / HVC that prevents it from operating with the higher voltage charge, you probably won't even know that this overcharging event has occured, unless you are measuring cell and battery voltages on every charge yourself (for instance by opening it up and checking pack and cell voltages), so you can end up with a damaged battery that just suddenly has a catastrophic failure for no apparent reason, at some random point in the future.

So as it is now the scooter is at 75% according to both the ey3 and the iride display.

What is an "ey3"?

1. Those 2 came from Amazon
2. That is the original charger that came with the charger
3. Ey3 minimotors type throttle

Back