Part selection for my first board

vince086

1 mW
Hi guys, I'm thinking of building an electric skateboard. Done a bit of research (huge thanks to this forum) but as this is my first I could use some input/tips.

The board will be used on mostly flat city streets.
I'm going for a single motor 6S setup as it seems to be the most common. I'm not looking for something super powerful and fast, just mid range.

So these are the parts I'm looking at, if you have any suggestions/comments I'm happy to heat them.

Motor mount, belt and gears
From diyelectricskateboard.com
Single Motor Mechanical Electric Longboard Kit
Still need to choose the gear ratio.

Motor
After talking with somebody at diyelectricskateboard.com, I decided to go with the new sensored 50mm version.
More info on new motor
[strike]SK3 from hobbyking
Not sure exactly what motor to choose but from what I know it should be 63mm, not sure what KV would suit me better, maybe something around 200?
List of Hobbyking SK3 motors[/strike]

ESC
Again not too sure but seeing as this is being sold on the same website it should be good.
Single Motor 120A 6S ESC
I'd be happy with something from hobbyking since I will be ordering from there anyway.

Battery
Going with 2 3S 5000mAh Lipos wired in series
ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 3S1P 20C

Battery cover
I want the board to look clean/professional so I'm mounting the batteries underneath.
Found a cover that would fit but it is a bit pricey, didn't find any waterproof box on ebay that would fit the two batteries.
http://www.aliendrivesystems.com/store/p84/ABS_battery_cover-6s_5000mah.html

Controller
It will be a HK-GT2B 3CH 2.4GHz Transmitter and Receiver w/Rechargable Li-ion Battery, I'll 3D print a case to make it even smaller
Link to case mod:BadWolf GT2B Case mod v2

Deck
I like the look of longboard decks (the ones where it tapers at the end and you can see the wheels) but I'll need to carry the board on a tram so maybe something shorter but still wide. There aren't many skateboard shops in Ireland so might have to buy it online.

Here is a link to some miscellaneous parts that I will order as well: http://imgur.com/JQXvdYp

Link to a basic Excel sheet I set up to keep tack of prices and links: Link to Google docs

Any comments and help are welcome.

Edited on 24/07/2015
Cleaned up links and changed some info.
Changed motor choice.

Looks good. Only thing, you would probably want would be an on/off switch and/or connectors. Unless, you plan on using a loop key for your on/off switch.

You'll need an ESC Programming Card for the ESC if you purchase off my website.

torqueboards said:
Looks good. Only thing, you would probably want would be an on/off switch and/or connectors. Unless, you plan on using a loop key for your on/off switch.
You'll need an ESC Programming Card for the ESC if you purchase off my website.

I plan on using an XT90 anti spark connector as a loop key, the power switch on your site would be a nicer touch but I'll save that for the next version.
Yeah I have the programming card bookmarked as well.

I have a few of these covers on ebay that I make here in SoCal. Plenty of room to fit both of your batteries an ESC and your receiver. They just need to be trimmed to your liking and you'll need to cut the holes for your charge lead, motor wires and switch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171853003828?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

psychotiller said:
I have a few of these covers on ebay that I make here in SoCal. Plenty of room to fit both of your batteries an ESC and your receiver. They just need to be trimmed to your liking and you'll need to cut the holes for your charge lead, motor wires and switch.

Thanks but with international shipping and import taxes it comes to a fair bit more than the one from aliendrivesystems.

Hey Vince! Looks like a good list so far.

Torque didn't mention it so i will. Check out his new motor mounts coming out (soon?). Modular and able to fit different trucks (Caliber and Paris to start). I like the adjustable angle so if you have a bit of a drop deck you can move the motor to clear it.

If you are at all handy and have space/shop to do it - check out psychotiller's vacuum setup. Some great ideas to form your own enclosures!
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=70553

Looking at your Misc list - i don't see a charger?

I'd really suggest you get a decent charger and DC power supply for it. You can get one of the clones off Hobbyking or my preferred is one of the iChargers if you can swing it. Here's a good iCharger for 6s.

DC Power supply will be needed for it. You can go w/ a super stable server power supply off ebay like this. Or one of the *many* from HK... perhaps the $42 small 350w one that's 240v for Ireland.

HTH - GL!

vince086 said:
psychotiller said:

Thanks but with international shipping and import taxes it comes to a fair bit more than the one from aliendrivesystems.

Yeah, I didn't know you lived in a much cooler place than I...You should just build you own! http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=70553

sl33py said:
Hey Vince! Looks like a good list so far.
Torque didn't mention it so i will. Check out his new motor mounts coming out (soon?). Modular and able to fit different trucks (Caliber and Paris to start). I like the adjustable angle so if you have a bit of a drop deck you can move the motor to clear it.

I saw that and it looked nice but the welded option is more attractive at the moment since it comes with wheels and trucks. I don't have a skateboard so getting everything in one place is more practical.

sl33py said:
If you are at all handy and have space/shop to do it - check out psychotiller's vacuum setup. Some great ideas to form your own enclosures!
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=70553

I'd love to do that but no space (apartment). Found some project boxes online for a few euro that should fit everything with some cutting, if not I could print a simple cover to protect the cells.

sl33py said:
Looking at your Misc list - i don't see a charger?
I'd really suggest you get a decent charger and DC power supply for it. You can get one of the clones off Hobbyking or my preferred is one of the iChargers if you can swing it. Here's a good iCharger for 6s.
DC Power supply will be needed for it. You can go w/ a super stable server power supply off ebay like this. Or one of the *many* from HK... perhaps the $42 small 350w one that's 240v for Ireland.
HTH - GL!

Good eye. I have an Accucel 6 with a modified PC power supply, not the best but it does the job.

I'll update my post in a bit as I might go with the new sensored motor from diyelectricskateboard, bit smaller motor but for what I'll use it, it should do fine.

Vince - nice that you have a decent charger already! A good para board is nice to have and picking a single connector type moving forward will save you a ton of time later!

Let us know about the sensored motor if you try it. I'm still really impressed w/ my buddies boosted dual+ board. Super smooth acceleration from a stop and easy/consistent throttle feel. Smaller motors than mine but doesn't feel underpowered.

I hope to eventually at least test/try sensored on my dual setup. Likely using the e0 designs add-on board. But the VESC is pretty awesome without sensors... I don't mind a little push to start (and it is *very* minor push before it starts) - almost no cogging and i'm not a small guy. It would be even better on my GF's single motor board as it would make the start that much easier for her. Will definitely keep an eye out for Torque's motors and feedback on them!

psychotiller said:
Yeah, I didn't know you lived in a much cooler place than I...You should just build you own! http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=70553
Don't know about cool but definitely isn't a bad place to live.
I'd love to but don't have the space for it. I do have a 3d printer so could print a battery holder/case if I can't find something that fits.

sl33py said:
Vince - nice that you have a decent charger already! A good para board is nice to have and picking a single connector type moving forward will save you a ton of time later!

Well since I'm going with a 6S setup I plan on connecting the two 3S batteries in series and forgetting about it. I plan on using this: Twin pack charge lead (2 x 3S)6S w/ XT60 It will be used purely to charge the batteries. If I decide to add more cells in the future then yeah a parallel board will be essential.

sl33py said:
Let us know about the sensored motor if you try it. I'm still really impressed w/ my buddies boosted dual+ board. Super smooth acceleration from a stop and easy/consistent throttle feel. Smaller motors than mine but doesn't feel underpowered.
I hope to eventually at least test/try sensored on my dual setup. Likely using the e0 designs add-on board. But the VESC is pretty awesome without sensors... I don't mind a little push to start (and it is *very* minor push before it starts) - almost no cogging and i'm not a small guy. It would be even better on my GF's single motor board as it would make the start that much easier for her. Will definitely keep an eye out for Torque's motors and feedback on them!

Will do but as this is my first time messing with brushless systems I won't have anything to compare with. I'll be doing a lot of starting and stopping so it should come in handy at least.
That's a nice little add-on board, have to remember that for future use. For 15$ its worth the upgrade.

Did some calculations on what speeds should I expect using the excel file from here. According to that I could reach 22 km/h using the 16 teeth pulley and 17 km/h using the 12 teeth pulley.
Took the bicycle out and 22 seems like plenty.
Since the shopping list is set, I'll start ordering parts this week.

Hi guys, one last question, about the deck.
I want something portable, longboard decks are a bit big so I was wondering if putting the parts on a regular skateboard deck would be okay? (might need risers)
Ideally I'd like somewhere around 25 inches.

Back