The HI-Lebowski: a Lebowski SMD brain running a zombified Honda IMA Inverter: *a HOW-TO guide*

This may be a really noobish question, but what is the max voltage that this zombie inverter can handle at what current?

I have a 20s scooter for now, but in the future i may reuse it for another 36s scooter while salvaging many of the first elements and components

Edit: after more research than i initially did, i think they are rated at 144v for a total output of around 20kw according to this post : https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/honda-ima.163650/post-683089

Molten-Core said:
This may be a really noobish question, but what is the max voltage that this zombie inverter can handle at what current?

I have a 20s scooter for now, but in the future i may reuse it for another 36s scooter while salvaging many of the first elements and components

Edit: after more research than i initially did, i think they are rated at 144v for a total output of around 20kw according to this post : https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/honda-ima.163650/post-683089

I have run the IMA on 48S lipo ~ 200V hot off the charger. The second gen Civic hybrids use a 158V pack and the IMA inverter used here is from a gen2 hybrid.

kiwifiat said:
Molten-Core said:

I have run the IMA on 48S lipo ~ 200V hot off the charger. The second gen Civic hybrids use a 158V pack and the IMA inverter used here is from a gen2 hybrid.

Thanks for sharing that!

SO, while waiting for my brainboard to arrive i tried to desolder the reset pin and do the mod, but i didnt expect things to turn this sour:
J0llQZc.jpg

Do you guys think if i cut the whole ship out it would still work? I could just dremel out all the pins and clean this traces carrefully, i tried with solder wick and couldn't manage to do anything good

Edit:Is it important to twist the wires?

You can easily clean that up. Decent soldering iron, solder braid, flux... It'll come off no problem.

mxlemming said:
You can easily clean that up. Decent soldering iron, solder braid, flux... It'll come off no problem.

Just tried again, but my hands are way too shaky, i just broke a pin not far from the reset, isn't it possible to just cut the whole chip out?

Molten-Core said:
mxlemming said:

Just tried again, but my hands are way too shaky, i just broke a pin not far from the reset, isn't it possible to just cut the whole chip out?
Hypothetically asserting reset on the chip tristates all the outputs so yes, chopping the chip or should have the same effect.

But who knows :roll: I can say for sure it would work for an stm32 but for that renesas thing...

Find something to rest your wrist / hand on. Helps to move your fingers instead of trying to move your whole arm or from your elbow.
Bringing the whole thing up near shoulder height helps too. Don't arch your back, bring the piece up.
Use a thin / sharp tip in the soldering iron and "split" the solder on the pins. You could push the desolder braid in this way too.

Molten-Core said:

Yes you can cut the chip out but you will still need to clean up the pcb pads to ensure there are no shorts.

Attachments

• IMA_CPU_REMOVAL.PNG
    IMA_CPU_REMOVAL.PNG
    188.9 KB · Views: 837
The topic is gone?
How did it end ?
What is the maximum battery and motor current that can be obtained with this inverter? I want to use them with the openinvertor version 3 brain to control the rear engines of the alphard. Capacitors at 600 volts, does this mean that you can try a 400 volt battery?

YTW200 said:
The topic is gone?
How did it end ?
What is the maximum battery and motor current that can be obtained with this inverter? I want to use them with the openinvertor version 3 brain to control the rear engines of the alphard. Capacitors at 600 volts, does this mean that you can try a 400 volt battery?

No This inverter will work with max 200Vdc. Any more and EMI will prevent you from having good control.
https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/honda-ima.163650/

arber333 said:
No This inverter will work with max 200Vdc. Any more and EMI will prevent you from having good control.
https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/honda-ima.163650/

Thanks for the reply. And how many amperes can the maximum battery and motor still be?

This is just brilliant for a high-voltage "midrange" option!
Also awesome the the Lebowski went open source. I had a through hole board (and 2 chips) but blew up TO247 power stages and went "commercial" when the DCDC blew as well...
I'm going to give this a try - is anyone selling the SMD boards? I'll only mess them up...

See my build/instructions thread as well.
That is here:
in case anyone goes looking for it. :)

Back