Phaserunner / Baserunner Tuning tips and tricks ?

ypedal2

1 mW
Hey everyone !!

Been a while, i still check in from time to time but have been super busy with life and all that jazz.... you know. .. ( Being self employed and a one-man-band gets complicated.. )

So, after years and generations of motors and controllers.... seems we are now in the age of FOC ( Field Oriented Control ) and things are now a lot more smooth and/but more complicated than they used to be !.. rip Grinfineon ...

For the most part, if you get both motor and controller from Grin, you can load a default profile and get going. .. If using a 3rd party motor the Autotune makes life a heck of a lot more convenient ( if you ever played wire-bingo in the past... yeah boy.. ) . But once you get everything functional, then comes the " Tuning " stage......

I see a lot of help threads asking for solutions to problems but not much in terms of discussions on how to optimize your rig.

Last couple years i've mostly been pairing Baserunner with Grin's SX motors, the angled gears run quiet and it's reliable at 1000w peak... good power to weight combo.

Today, i'm mixing a Gmac motor with Phaserunner v6, Ca V3, erider torque sensing PAS , and intend to use back-pedal regen on it. 52v 20ah battery.

Jamis Gmac 52v Brett Kiney.jpg
*( a post is always better with a picture ! )

Awesome bike, and i'm not looking for a mild ride, i want this to go as much as possible on a fist full of throttle.

First thing i had to adjust was in Speed Limits.. the SLim->DSGain was defaulted to 600, this was causing the power to drop in mid rip and surge... dropped that down to 100, way better.

Next is the Output Torque Ramping, on the Phaserunner side, default to 200ms.. set to 100.. about to down to 50 ms

Now the issue i'm having is that on occasion, not always.. i get the phaserunner to error outo 2-2 " Instantaneous Phase Overcurrent " .. and this usually means having to mess with the " Feedback Bandwidth Tuning " .. and a bunch of stuff i don't understand... I'm all for throwing a number in a box and having things work but can anyone explain this to me in average joe terms ?

In the latest version of the Phaserunner Suite ( 1.8 at time of this writing ) the KP and KI values grey out when you use " Current Regulator Bandwidth " .. so one negates the other ?... PLL numbers, what's a rad ?.. lol..

Unfortunately I don't have a direct answer to the FOC tuning questions, but since VESC has similar functionality, you might look at those threads for the tuning info people have used there--it should indirectly apply to the PR's FOC as well (if not the actual numbers, their relative values to the ranges within the VESC setup vs the PR setup). There are also some other FOC controller tuning discussions in other brands (I think in one of the open-source threads, probably for the Lishui).

( Being self employed and a one-man-band gets complicated.. )

You make music now, too? What kind?

Good idea.. i found a bunch of cool vids explaining FOC on youtube, a lot were RC related.

Just figured out a thing about PAS sensors.... .. 1 wire sense PAS will not allow back pedal regen .. you need a 2 wire sense PAS for this,. ( The Erider T9 has 4 pins going to the CA.. 5v, Gnd, S1 and T1 .. ) only 1 sense wire.. and 1 torque wire.. not 2 sense wires. .. so will still need the ebrake trip wire thing.

V1 Phaserunner not synching with Bafang G310

I have V1 Phaserunner and a new Bafang G310 fast wind motor. When pairing the two, the motor will not spin properly with throttle. Instead the motor is "chunky". It rattles and spins slowly, like it is out of sync with the phaserunner and cannot acheive any rotation speed. Here is a video of the movement... G310 Motor Setup

I was able to download the most current Phaserunner Suite and set the default parameters for the G310 fast wind with 88 pole pairs and the V1 Phaserunner, but I can't find the reason the motor won't synch up. When I perform autotune, it works as it should by turning the wheel at a smooth and high rotation speed. The autotune completes successfully, but when I then try the throttle, the wheel moves Chunky, Slow, Rough and it Rattles when moving. I have simple setup...no CA from the equation, but s simple working throttle.

1699202568236.png
The only thing that I can think of is that the V1Phaserunner is not compatible with the most current phaserunner suite software and that somehow some parameters are being loaded to the phase runner that needs to be tweaked. My first thought is to get an earlier version of phaserunner suite that is compatible with the V1Phaserunner.

Any ideas out there from the community?

During the autotune, does it correctly detect the halls, with no errors?

After doing the autotune/etc, are you clicking the Save Parameters button?

After doing that, and turning the whole system off and back on, then reconnecting the Phaserunner Suite to the controller, does clicking Read Parameters button correctly load all the same settings you just saved?

If it doesn't reload them all correctly, then something isn't saving to the PR for some reason.

If it does reload them correctly, then the difference is in how the test is done by the PRSuite vs what is being done via the throttle. The throttle simply modulates the current to the motor; the test is not doing this the same way.

Is the throttle test also unloaded (off ground)?

Is it just a tiny bit of throttle, or full, or something else?

what's a rad
If it has to do with a rotation angle, it's probably short for radian. This is an angle of measurement such that pi radians complete a full revolution.

Back