Point Reyes Coastal Trail Survival Ride June **CANCELLED**

Green Machine

100 kW
Ok here is the next "green machine ride"...this is not just a fun ride...its a survival fun ride. This is not a race...but a endurance challenge of 60 miles. We will test the limits of reliability of todays electric bikes on a long...beautiful..hilly ride...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4508951

Scheduled for June 24th (a thursday so there are no hikers)....I will do a preliminary ride to scope out the course....es'ers are invited to join me on that ride as well which will happen spontaneously in the next few weeks.

This ride is no joke...lots of rugged terrain...and heavy climbs...you need reliable mountain bike....i think hub drives are ideal for this ride..or something like the optibike that is ultra reliable. I plan to ride my trusty 600w torque bmc bike tuned down to 25 amps for reliability. We will probably have to walk our bikes up some sections. If you do break down...you may have to walk your bike to road and someone will come get you later with van...but please dont break down...bring a reliable bike!

You will need atleast 30 amp hours at 48 volts.... i will bring hammock and camping supplies in case someone needs to spend night on mountain (happened to me once on this very ride)...but this should not be the case.

I am getting 10 48v 10ah batteries from china with bms in the next week that i can offer to a ride candidate at cost if it will help you complete the ride. Chinese cost of battery 400 bucks.

This is an epic ride participants are guaranteed to never forget...the beauty you will see on this ride along a deserted beach in point reyes you will never forget...ebikes are completely legal through the entirety of this ride. Nothing illegal about what we are doing here....but Physic's Monster MX bike is not allowed :shock: Seriously i did this ride with a few friends a few months back and we thought you couldnt even buy an experience like that...very unique thrill ride without risking breaking your ass...again this is safe and sane ride....just rigorous and long...marathon ebike ride.

Here is the plan...meet at sports basement parking lot at the foot of the golden gate bridge. Load the bikes on my 4 bike bike rack on the back of my minivan....cruise up to the top of mount vision...leave the van there...ride down mount vision onto the beach...ride 10 miles along the coastal trail across beautiful point reyes...have lunch in hippy town bolinas (if you bring charger you can get an hour or two worth of charge here)...ride up through the mount tam trails...ride back to the sports basement parking lot. This ride will be 90% on bike trails...no cars...the car roads we will be on will have minimal traffic...safe and sane. We will start in the morning and finish in the afternoon.

I will ride back the next day on my bike different route to pick up my van.

If more riders are interested i will get another truck together. We could take 8 bikes.

Is anyone interested?

I would love come along, 60 miles is not going make it for my 42v 10Ah and I am waiting save up some $$ for 100v 20Ah in couple month.

The ride sounds like a great idea. I have two problems in this particular case, one being that I don't have battery capacity yet to make it (though that can be fixed), but the other is that weekend and the few days before is a big Ham Radio event that has priority so I won't be able to do it this time. But I'm definitely interested in this type of event.

One thought is to plan some less difficult/lengthy but otherwise similar rides to get things started, and allow folks to sort out their systems. Then work up to the longer rides, and there will be more people ready and they will have more confidence in their systems and fewer breakdowns and problems to solve on the road.

Man you make me wish I lived where there was some ebikers. Keep the good events coming dude, you have a running start now after the hill climb to get a real nice group of riders together, who can go do different stuff each month.

Very cool.

Im with dogman on this one. I wish i could say im not gelous but then id be lying :twisted: Also i dont have the capacity to go 60 miles. Managed to hypermile my 10ah 36v pack to 40 miles on trails the other week but that was at 10-12mph cruising lol.

I dont think i live within 200 miles of another e-biker :( Ill just have to keep making do with what ever video footage i can scrape off the forum or youtube of all you guys having fun :) This one sounds pretty special though if you ask me.

I have both hiked and MT biked in Point Reyes Nation Seashore and, as such, can say that it's a "must see" destination. Anyone who can make it to EGM's ride event should seriously consider doing so.

Listen guys i know this ride is a tall order...

It is what i call an "epic" ride...this will be a mind bending experience for all who can join me. A truly incredible experience that money cant normally buy...think very possibly top 10 spectacular events in your life. Top 10 event is never easy..always an ordeal...that is one thing living life as a self proclaimed "adventurer" has taught me. When i first got my pilot license i took my cessna to vegas....over the sierras....literally day after getting license....it wasnt easy in fact it was a frightening ordeal but i will always remember it. This is that kind of event...heck this is a cake walk...a nice ride that will feel scarier than it actually is. You wont ever be more than 5 miles away from civilization.

IT is worth buying, borrowing, or stealing amp hours to do this ride. Batteries are expensive but they arent that expensive. I will post later prices for lipo batteries i am getting direct from china..i will sale at my cost to participants in this ride. Not having amp hours or $$$ to buy them is an easy problem to fix...we have a month! Also having to work...take a day off! Play hookie! OR just quit job and figure out a way to live without a 9to5 :D no just kidding dont quit your job for survival ride!

I have attempted the ride before but never made it all the way back over the golden gate bridge...i am shamed. SHoot..we are going to do the ride 2x...once as a preliminary to scope out the perfect ebike path..and a second time just for enjoyment on the date above....hopefully as a group ride...but im perfectly fine doing the ride with just 2 if no one wants to join us.

In terms of breaking down...we will have tire repair kits, tow straps etc...the rule is if someone breaks down we will help you get to the car road....and from there you are pedaling on the 1 highway..this ride can be real short if you just take the roads and go direct....or you can call a cab or a ride....or get a hotel and wait for the van on its return trip to get you the next day. You are riding in a literal paradise in summer time...believe me we will survive. And no one is crashing on this ride. :p

And if you think about it 60 miles is not that tall of an order...there are groups of amateur road bikers who do 100 mile pedal rides every weekend! We have motors and batteries! WHy cant we? Shoot we are on motorbikes...actually we should be doing rides like this every weekend! We live in ebike paradise after all! We need to evolve into a serious riders club....like the sunday ride guys on their rice rockets...like the roadbikers...like the mountain bike gang....they are out riding every weekend and so should we. It is time to push our limits and see what these bikes and batteries are capable of!

You betcha. The best thing I ever did in ebikes was buying a second ping, which put me into the 70 mile range category. Not every day I ride like that, but for those epic days, well worth it. And the 2nd battery can power that 2nd bike most of the time. It's just all good to keep buying more batteries. :mrgreen:

It'd be worth the trip if you had to push the damn bike.

I'm telling you that this place, imo, surpasses Big Sur, the "Lost Coast", and the Coast Hwy when it comes to CA coastal scenic destinations.

Here's what I remember from PR:

Killer Whales just yards off the beach.

What appeared to be large sharks or porpoises leaping out of the water far off shore (some even appeared to be doing "somersaults"). These creatures were later said to be Great White sharks (according to a Ranger).

Tiny (gold and black spotted) baby Sea Lions sunning themselves on the beach (while, no doubt, avoiding the above mentioned Killer Whales and sharks).

Offshore "multiple storied" rock outcroppings with 50+ foot glass smooth "slides" created through the eons by Sea Lions sliding down into the water.

Tide pools with every type of smaller oceanic life you can think of including, very small octopuses (don't try to touch these).

Rare glass (fishing net floats) laying around on some of the more secluded beaches.

Smaller remnants of what appeared to be "turn of the (last) century wooden ships stuck high upon some of the more jagged cliffs (some even had traces of their original and colorful paint and/or elaborate carvings on them).

This is not to mention the abundance of various birds and other land based wildlife that can be seen from the trails of PR.

My bike is in no shape right now to join, but all your talk about batteries makes it interesting. Let me know what you come up with. This type of ride is exactly what I'm hoping to build a bike for. I'm just not sure I'll be able to build it by this event. But your talk of cheap Ah's makes me think twice. I'd like enough power to make this trip with my 30lb son in tow.

I generally do about 45wh/mile.

I would need around 2.7kw-hr.

Fortunately, with LiPo, that's pretty easy to do.

2812 in a 20" wheel with 24s 15AH lipo (already own that) looks like it would do the job, but top speed is 23mph. Hill climbing is a non issue though, 10% grade you'll be going 17mph without pedaling. Dunno if a 20" wheel would give you the ground clearance needed.

20 inch wheel would be fine...

There is some rugged areas in this trail...but not that rugged. Really rugged areas you can just hike the bike over. I did this trail and there was stuff like fallen trees over trail...

it was really magical...like a forest scene in lord of the rings or something...and it gets real isolated...especially on weekdays and miles from the closest road....really magical.

No way to tow a kids trailer ryan if thats what your thinking...that would be tough. It would be way to bumpy and rugged.

Top speed isnt really a factor as long as you can go 20....hill climbing ability is more important than top speed on this ride.

Ok so battery packs are on the plane to me in SF DHL from china...should be here in 4 days....exactly within 2 days of receiving packs i am off on a scouting trip exploring these point reyes trails...

I will cut the path with a machete!

Basically we are talking compact 6.5 pound lipo packs with built in bms....10ah 48volts 50amp packs. Also i got basic 3amp chargers coming.

Also i have one 36 volt 20ah pack i no longer need (got it for optibike)

And one 24v 20ah pack.

If amp hours are all you need just a few $$$ will make the ride of a lifetime accessible.

Those that want to go with higher discharge with no bms should get on hobby king website now...summer will be here and gone in no time....

Lets do some endurance rides!!!

Ok so got lipo battery packs in today.....bunch of big boxes came in....

These batteries are actually pretty good..on first impression better than the batteryspace packs i used previously.

This is a 48 volt 10 ah pack with complete bms...

After testing i can confirm they can handle 50amps with no noticable voltage lag....in comparison the battery space packs sag down to 35 amp hours....

Have not run one down to 0 yet but will do so tomorrow to see if they have the capacity they are claiming.....this pack is 20 percent smaller than the battery space pack....

It is a well constructed tight pack....6.5 pounds...

$450 with 3amp charger is my price from china....if anyone needs one to join the ride i will sale at my cost. i seriously wont sell one unless you are going on ride.

I am doing the marin point reyes coastal trail this next week now that i am loaded with amp hours...

Will soon upload pictures of "scouting ride"....

Attachments

• battery.JPG
    battery.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,476
Posting from Smiley's in Bolinas....aborted mission didnt make it back to city...i will absoltely be back im not quitting..charging up now to ride back in the morning to get van and broken down rider.

Amazing ride...most amazing ride ever....it felt like an electric baptism to put it short...an epiphany or something like that.

But a long story short this trip is cancelled...

Sand bikes only can make this route as originally planned....i need to go back and plan this more before inviting you guys....

Because we didnt have all sand bikes...we all had to head inland. We went way off the grid what was planned..it became downright race with the sun to get back to civilization..so we were flying down highway I as the sun set....it was ridiculous. It was fantastic. You guys wouldnt be into this type of ride.

But this was not suppose to be a road bike ride at all..how did this happen?

We had to abort mission and take the roads into bolinas....30 miles of twisty road carving...we wasted all our batteries and all our day light trying to carve out the "coastal trail". Banged our heads against the locals...asked a lot of directions.. Met a lot of enchanted hippies along the way. Oh oh did i mention...our new crystallite ht35 build broke down.......that guy is still camped out on the beach in point reyes somewhere.

...a lot went wrong..definately became a survival mission...but made the drinks and hotel scene here in bolina's feel all the more merrier.

I plan to return next week with 2 sand bikes...and really conquer this point reyes to bolinas back to city thing via coastal trail....but right now it seems you need a sand bike with fat tires for this trip...and amp hours...

Nothing like a good death march to make your day. I had thought, " wow, late start for a ride like that." But look at my post times, I'm a worm catcher. If I get er done, it's done by noon.

A good sand bike is a good thing. I will never run less than a 2.5 inch rear tire on my dirt bikes. Front, I like about 2.3" .

Yeah we ended up not leaving on bikes at the top of mount vision (where we left the van) until around 4pm....

So you can imagine...

We were in race with the sun the whole time.

The ride from the top of the mountain to the beach was rugged but magical...it was really a nice place. In 10 miles of riding we saw one hiker the entire time.

The park service had built all these bridges, benches etc. crossing streams etc...5 miles into the trailhead...pretty amazing.

Once we got to the beach we saw that the coastal trail was mostly soft sand....the bikes were weighed down with amp hours so all but the sand bike (4 inch wide tires) just sunk in the sand.

We were in this position to where it was close to getting dark and we either had to find a trail cutting across the beach around 10 miles into bolinas where we knew there was civilization...

Or riding all the way over the ridge on a paved trail, and back down and onto the 1 highway.

According to local mountain bikers they had not figured out a way to take the coastal trail on bikes...but thought one with tires like mine might be able to do it.

We made the hard decision to take the pavement...but man that part of the ride ended up being really nice.

The crystalite ht35 busted 5 miles into the ride...we figure fried controller.

The 2 bikes that made it the 46 mile duration ride were 2 600t bmc's.

We are building a 2nd sandbike and going back...just sandbikes this time..maybe as early as next week.

Sounds like a blast!

Funny, I saw this thread back when it started, and I had no power equipment....I skipped it.

Today I read it again, and was drooling that I just might be with you on it!! but as I came to the end I see that it wasnt meant to be - for now!!!

Next time though......

Thank you for thinking/planning/prepping for it. I would hope to be on that next trip (if you are keeping a list of locals). I will work on building up the AH's.

Ryan

Back