Portable 5-8 amp charger

Biggsy

100 mW
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on an inexpensive but lightweight 5amp charger for the EM3EV 52v battery.
I have the charger supplied and its great, but if I want to carry the charger on a ride its a bit to heavy and bulky.

I love and respect the battery, so don't want to take any risks, but wondered if there is a simple and powerfull charger that I can carry for occasional use.I know that the grin satiator would be perfect, but its well out of my price range for now.

Any suggestions welcome.

Grin Satiator

Fully adjustable for great flexibility and future proofing.

Can be stacked as needed

Mean Well HLG-600H-54 , also adjustable both V&A

double the charge rate @ 10A

no automatic cutoff though

HLG-240H-54A
240W model means 4A, I have a shit-ton of these, add your own connectors at both ends, will sell for $40 each shipped in CONUS, discount for qty.

john61ct said:

240 model at 4A, I have a shit-ton of these, add your own connectors at both ends, will sell for $40 each shipped in CONUS, discount for qty.

They max out at 60v right?

Newark = Element14, Mouser, Digikey

eBay, Ali

Voltage range is 45.9 ~ 56.7V MUST have "A" suffix for adjustability

so 14S gets 4.05Vpc, perfect for longevity, not actually sacrificing any range.

datasheet
https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/HLG-600H/HLG-600H-SPEC.PDF

Will send my used HLG-240H-54A units to EU but buyer pays $40 + actual shipping cost.

Ive seen them online in IP65 version and IP67 version. I guess one of them is potted / outdoors proof. Wich one to get? Pictures are the same...

The adjustabilty controls reduces the IP rating.

I would think for charging adjustability is essential, unless supplying a front-end DC-DC charger.

I have this 4A charger for my 52V batteries, it works well. You can choose among plenty of different plugs, and even ask for custom voltage.
When I need to charge fast my 14s6p battery, I use 2 chargers in //.
Yzpower builts also 6-8A charger, heavier of course.

https://m.fr.aliexpress.com/item/32787931972.html?pid=808_0002_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32787931972&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=5897amp-qPQuMQV1rOeQEeV2gnxCng1570293611479

john61ct said:
Grantmac said:
I was asking about the max voltage, not specifying my requirements.
Sorry, just confused, trying to understand the latter

No worries, it seems the one I need is the 36A. Too bad since your price is fantastic.
I do wish these had more voltage adjustment range. My cheap China charger will do 42-78v with a twist of the pot. I'm just not sure it's going to last as long and clearly has zero IP rating.

Grantmac said:
No worries, it seems the one I need is the 36A. Too bad since your price is fantastic.

I do wish these had more voltage adjustment range. My cheap China charger will do 42-78v with a twist of the pot. I'm just not sure it's going to last as long and clearly has zero IP rating.
600W is the biggest HLG line, so 36A is down around 12V nominal range ?

Link to your cheap Chinese?

Yes reliable longevity and small form factor are often really worth paying more for.

But that often means buying multiple units for your different voltage packs.

Of course at home a Sorenson 0-150V lab supply works great :cool:

So again, what voltages do you actually need?

Sometimes one PSU (rectifier) works well to get from mains AC to DC, also as max-rate bulk charger at your highest DC voltage needed.

then use one or more DC-DC buck converters or hobby chargers to get to the other voltages.

I mean the model -36a which is their 36v adjustable version of the 240w.

I'm charging 9s packs to 4.1v, currently with two in series using my 75v charger which I've dropped to 73.8v
My plan is to charge in parallel (this works fine with their BMS) instead.

john61ct said:

HLG-240H-54A
240W model means 4A, I have a shit-ton of these, add your own connectors at both ends, will sell for $40 each shipped in CONUS, discount for qty.

They sound awesome! So I could set the charging to the max 8a as recommended by EM3EV?
Do you have the dimensions and the weight of the unit?

Thanks a lot.

The HLG-600H-54A datasheet I linked to above should have all you need.

Max is 10A or so, and yes can be dialed down

Note again, these units, including the 4+A / 240W units I have too many of,

can be "stacked" either serial or in parallel, gives lots of modular flexibility.

Thanks John61ct,

Those chargers do look nice and powerfull, but a little bulky and heavy.
Still very good for the price and I am interested to get one to keep at work.
I can enquire about postage to Pau France. Do you have a preferred courier option?

I ordered this charger about a year ago online and haven't been game to try it.
Its tiny and lightweight, but I am not sure I trust it based on the fact that the seller was able to set the charging at my chosen setting from 1 to 10 amps. Maybe its a silly newbie question, but does anybody have any tips on how to test it, or what to check for if I chose to use it? Would my EM3EV smart BMS protect the battery without consequence if the setting is unreliable?

cheap 5A charger 2.jpg

cheap 5A charger.jpg
Thanks a lot!

Biggsy said:
Those chargers do look nice and powerfull, but a little bulky and heavy.
If you mean the HLG-600H-54A, at 10+ amps, I am not selling those.

The 4A HLG-240H-54A dimensions are 244.2mm long, then very slim 68mm x 38.8mm, under 3lbs.

If you know of smaller AC-DC units designed for outdoor use, please let me know.

And PM me about buying some if you want, FedEx, UPS or DHL are fine.

Biggsy said:
I ordered this charger about a year ago online and haven't been game to try it.
Its tiny and lightweight, but I am not sure I trust it based on the fact that the seller was able to set the charging at my chosen setting from 1 to 10 amps.
That is no reason to not trust it.

You need a DMM and ideally a DC ammeter to test.

Test voltage disconnected. Deplete your battery by 50% and start charging, measuring both V & A.

Watch the process as V climb, hit your setpoint and stay there (transition from Cc Bulk to CV Absorb), then as current falls you are reaching Full, charger should automatically stop.

The PSUs like MeanWell act just the same, but you need to stop at Full or before, helps longevity to avoid Absorb.

Greater precision about SoC, testing battery capacity etc requires more gear.

Maybe its a silly newbie question, but does anybody have any tips on how to test it, or what to check for if I chose to use it? Would my EM3EV smart BMS protect the battery without consequence if the setting is unreliable?

Back