Possible over heated battery

Dumsterdave

100 W
So, i decided to build a battery box for my triangle battery. I used wood to make the triangle and then plexiglass for the sides and everything is wrapped with vinyl. Now I'm just wondering if the battery is going to get too hot. I haven't made any breather holes (just two holes for cables). I live in Denmark and it rarely gets over 25 degrees, but I'm worried the battery might get too hot. Should i make some holes for cooling, or will it be fine). It's a 14s9p pack made from mj1 cells and i rarely pull over 30A. The reason I currently haven't put any sort holes in it is because it rains a lot here and i wanted to keep it dry in there. Am i over thinking this or do i need to cool it?

It's going to depend a lot on how much power your motor pulls and the capacity of the battery. If the battery is sourcing less than about 1C, it should not generate that much heat.

Dumsterdave said:
I live in Denmark and it rarely gets over 25 degrees, but I'm worried the battery might get too hot.
It's a 14s9p pack made from mj1 cells and i rarely pull over 30A.

30A from 9P is 1/3 of the continuous rating for those cells, so doesn't seem like heat would be a concern. If your plexiglass is black, that might create more heat in the enclosure on a sunny day than the cells inside.

Lets put it this way, if your battery is in need of vents to cool it, its about to burn your house down too.

A bms though, should have a way to breathe a bit, or heat sink on its fets.

Back