Possible to hang a battery from triangle suspension spring?

bumper

10 W
I would like to get your opinions on hanging a battery bag from a suspension spring in the triangle of a FS bike. I don't have a picture, but I drew the following crude drawing. I think it would be ok since those thick springs don't compress that much (at least that has been my experience). Obviously the worry would be that there would be too much compression that they would wear down the hanging straps that would hold the battery bag. Thanks.

I think you'd be okay with something strong. They don't really move all that much.

You'll be putting a side load on the damper, not good.....if it has a damper inside the spring.

Mark_A_W said:
You'll be putting a side load on the damper, not good.....if it has a damper inside the spring.

What if I would suspend it from the bottom springs? Avoiding the damper.

It seems likely that it's safe, (hanging the battery from the spring) provided you regularly (like, every ride, at first) check the straps you use to hang it from the spring.

Good call on avoiding side load on damper, Mark.

bumper said:
Mark_A_W said:

What if I would suspend it from the bottom springs? Avoiding the damper.

if you put weight on the spring, its putting that weight on the damper. Specificly a side load of the shaft against the seals, and internaly the plunger against the side wall.
But if you can put the straps around the bolt ends, or hang the battery from the shock mounts, you should be fine.

cerewa said:
It seems likely that it's safe, (hanging the battery from the spring) provided you regularly (like, every ride, at first) check the straps you use to hang it from the spring.

Good call on avoiding side load on damper, Mark.

What Drunkskunk said.

Putting any weight on the springs, above/below the mount points, will put a side load on the damper (if it has one) and the seals will fail.

I think this is a very bad idea. Mount the battery to the frame.

Back