Primer on Wiring Lights into an Ebike System?

jmiller75

1 µW
Hey there, I have built up two electric bikes (Bafang mid-drive and direct drive hub motor with PAS through CA). I am okay at working through the technical jargon but I am no expert! I can usually find what I want around the internet. But I cannot find out how to wire lights into my Bafang BBS02 48v system. I have the C965 display and I have read that this CAN do it. I just can't find the steps nicely spelled out anywhere. I can likely have my local bike mechanic do it, but I feel like I should be able to handle this if I could just find a good resource. Does anyone know if this kind of thing might exist out there? It does not have to be for my exact system, just something to get me started.

Thanks!!

Some of the displays have a "light" output, but they're not meant ot drive much current, so you can't run much of a lighting system directly from it, and would have to use it's output to turn relays on and off, where the relays actually hanlde the power to the lights.

There's several threads about using displays / LCDs to run lights, if you want to go that way...but I think they all directly run a tiny headlight off of it, rather than something really useful to see and be seen with.

If you don't have to have the controller / display itself run the lights, then there are a number of good threads about such systems, starting with this one:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75171&hilit=brake+light%2A

The information there can be used to setup *any* kind of lighting you want.

The cycle analyst (v.3 at least, I haven't used earlier versions) has a DC power output that exposes full battery voltage and 1 amp. You can plug ebike style lights that accept a wide range of voltage directly into that (ebikes.ca sells these) or plug in a DC to DC converter and then the lights if you want to use 12v or whatever lights.

jmiller75 said:
Hey there, I have built up two electric bikes (Bafang mid-drive and direct drive hub motor with PAS through CA). I am okay at working through the technical jargon but I am no expert! I can usually find what I want around the internet. But I cannot find out how to wire lights into my Bafang BBS02 48v system. I have the C965 display and I have read that this CAN do it. I just can't find the steps nicely spelled out anywhere. I can likely have my local bike mechanic do it, but I feel like I should be able to handle this if I could just find a good resource. Does anyone know if this kind of thing might exist out there? It does not have to be for my exact system, just something to get me started.

Thanks!!

Ihttps://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/wiring/andersontap.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 3.39.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 3.39.33 PM.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 230
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 3.40.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 3.40.38 PM.png
    55 KB · Views: 230
Back