Problem with Sabvoton SVMC 96120

DotScott

1 W
Hey guys,

My controller (Sabvoton SVMC 96120) has been in use for only 2 months and all of a sudden, the motor started making a screaming noise and wouldn't go anymore. It's due to the controller I believe. The motor is still fine.

The controller will no longer stay connected to the computer application or the smartphone/bluetooth application. It seems to connect for just a second but displays all wrong information. The battery, motor, throttle, ebrakes, etc. are just fine. Just the controller is acting up.

I was only running 60 battery amps max when the controller failed so I was not pushing it hard (can handle 120 battery amps). Had been running fine for 2 months until this point.

The green LED on the controller does not light up - it indicates no fault. Just the red LED lights up and stays lit up as if it was normal operation. If I pull the throttle while on, the motor violently shakes - as if the Halls got misaligned. I can't do a Hall test though because the controller will not connect to the computer or bluetooth app. I also tried the second set of Halls on the motor: same issue.

System specs:
Battery nominal voltage: 86v.
Battery max charge: 96v
Battery low: 72v.
Max amps: 60
Motor: QS205 50H V3

Everything was working just fine but it suddenly just stopped when I gave it a tiny bit of throttle from an almost full stop.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? I've reached out to Sabvoton and QS Motors multiple times but I never get a response from them.

Still can't seem to figure this out :( Still no response from QS motor or Sabvoton.

Hey guys,

My controller (Sabvoton SVMC 96120) has been in use for only 2 months and all of a sudden, the motor started making a screaming noise and wouldn't go anymore. It's due to the controller I believe. The motor is still fine.

The controller will no longer stay connected to the computer application or the smartphone/bluetooth application. It seems to connect for just a second but displays all wrong information. The battery, motor, throttle, ebrakes, etc. are just fine. Just the controller is acting up.

I was only running 60 battery amps max when the controller failed so I was not pushing it hard (can handle 120 battery amps). Had been running fine for 2 months until this point.

The green LED on the controller does not light up - it indicates no fault. Just the red LED lights up and stays lit up as if it was normal operation. If I pull the throttle while on, the motor violently shakes - as if the Halls got misaligned. I can't do a Hall test though because the controller will not connect to the computer or bluetooth app. I also tried the second set of Halls on the motor: same issue.

System specs:
Battery nominal voltage: 86v.
Battery max charge: 96v
Battery low: 72v.
Max amps that I was using: 60
Motor: QS205 50H V3

Everything was working just fine but it suddenly just stopped when I gave it a tiny bit of throttle from an almost full stop.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? QSMotors and Sabvoton will ONLY respond to emails if they're about to make a sale, but once you tell them you're having an issue with one of their products, they just stop responding completely and will no longer respond to any email from that email account after that. It's like they block you once you tell them you're having an issue.

First test the motor wiring with a multimeter, controller unplugged.

You may have a problem in the wiring. Test for a short first, continuity test between each phase and the axle. Then impedance test phases against each other.

Test the hall wires. The red and black continuity against the axle and against each other. Then supply low voltage (4 to 15v) to the red and test between each hall color wire and black while rotating the wheel.

You need to be sure of the motor wiring and operation before putting the fault on the controller. Then check carefully for connection faults, each connector inside housings. Only after all wiring faults are excluded, you can start to diagnose the controller.

I’ve had this problem with the sabvoton 96120, and I’d you have checked motor and that’s ok. Then the controller will be the issue. I’ve had this with 2 of those controllers but each time it wasn’t the controllers fault. 1 I had a battery internal short and damaged the controller. And the other was rubbed through phase wires. Unfortunately the controllers don’t have a great protective circuit against short circuits.

Back