Programming Kelly KBS Controller

derb

10 mW
Hello,
I have a question about the KBS72181E Kelly Controller.
Is it absolutely necessary to remove the motor, phases and throttle cables every time to program the controller?
I would like to install the controller hidden and then no longer the possibility to disconnect the cables ... (only the battery cable I can remove)

Thank you very much and greetings

The kelly manual indicates that you must disconnect them before programming.

*Just speculation* *Dont do this* I imagine that the phase leads could be left connected, since the controller shouldn't be trying to pass any current through the motor when the there is no throttle signal.
Considering the price of a kelly controller though( and a computer) , no way I would ever risk it.

Interesting they tell you to do that. Most other controllers don't care if the motor and parts are attached. Perhaps it's a safety thing in case it goes crazy after programming. It might be worth contacting Kelly tech support and ask them why this needs to be done.

Here is the quick answer from the support:

As long as you can make sure the motor will not run,you can connect the controller to user program.
So it is not necessary to disconnect all of these cables.
Please just connect the controller to user program when the motor stops.

Thanks,
Fany

I am happy that I do not have to remove all cables every time I program it :D

That makes more sense. I think something was lost in translation. For sure you want to make sure the motor won't run while programming.

Now i have the first time tried to program the new controller but the program always says that it can not connect with the controller.

Cable is self-made:
SMP-4P / RS232
Pin 4 -V / Pin 5 GMD
Pin 3 Rx / Pin 2 Rx
Pin 2 Tx / Pin 3 Tx
Pin 1 + V / Not Connect

On the controller I put on pin 7 22V and ground on pin 20

The PC is an old Dell laptop with RS232 port and Windows 7 32 bit

What surprises me is that I click on the Kelly website on KBS-E and get the software for the KBS-X. It is version 4.6.1

Someone has an idea what I can still try?

I have never programmed a Kelly, but in their software should be a setting for the COM port. Make sure it matches the serial port number on the computer. Also the baud rate, parity, etc. has to be set correctly.

Thank you fechter,
I'm a bit closer to the solution.
Fany (Kelly controller) wrote to me that I need a converter:

Http://kellycontroller.com/sm-4a-to-db9rs232-converter-p-1403.html

It is also written as the last item under Configuration in the manual:
Only KBS-E requires Kelly RS232 to support the communication.

I suspect that a Max232 level converter is in the converter inside.

The programming works with a TTL to RS232 converter (Max232).
There is a circuit diagram for this on the first page of the data sheet of the Max232.

You can get a built cable for cheap on eBay. I have one I use with other controllers. You can generally make the software work with a USB converter.

Here's an example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PL2303TA-USB-TTL-to-RS232-Converter-Serial-Cable-for-Windows-XP-7-8-8-1-NL-/142204925288?var=&hash=item211c12f568:m:mMfa7GlKvucRTtdx-kfvtWw

Anyone able to offer any hints?

I'm not able to get the software to connect to the controller, the software that downloads from their website on the link for the KBS-E links to KBS-X. My controller is Kelly KBS 7218EW and I've used https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PL2303TA-USB-to-TTL-RS232-Upgrade-Serial-Port-Download-Service-Cable-Data-Line/302680556160?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 is the cable. I don't get chance to select the COM port in the software before it tells me it cannot find the controller.

I've tried with and without my 20S pack connected and I've tried with and without the controller powered on.

I have programed kelly controllers but its been a few years. My memory is that the com port selection is important and definitely the controller needs to be powered. I cant remember if key on must be connected too but try that if you havent already.

Ive prog two kbs and two kls with zero problems. All the instructions/manuals ive read say just not to try to operate the motor while prog not that it cannot be connected. I leave my motors connected 100% of the time while prog. but obviously the safe thing to do is keep the rear wheel off the ground using some sort of center motorcycle stand just incase...

When using auto identification this is a must since it will spin the motor to find the correct phase combo.

Any yes the controller needs battery input power before you plug in usb rs232 cable so it has power to recognize and initiate hand shake with pc

Back