Programming the Bafang Middrive BBS01+BBS02

Until I’m able to program the 9-FET controller, I’d at least like to know what my settings are, particularly the PAS current and speed limits. I got mine from EM3ev, and maybe Paul programmed it with similar settings as the 750 W units with the old controller, except for the current limit.

So, anyone here who (a) Has a 750 W unit with the old controller from EM3ev, and (b) downloaded and saved their stock config before changing the settings?

If so, could you post screen shots and/or the .el file?

Hi

I bought this TTL cable on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PL2303TA-USB-To-TTL-RS232-Converter-Serial-Adapter-Cable-for-win-XP-7-8-8-1-/271504950657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f36f4c581

This works perfectly on Windows 8.1 and there are no problems connecting against my BBS01.

Increasing the level of pedal assist and increase support is necessary to change this value

Attachments

• 8fun moje original2.jpg
    8fun moje original2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,713
For many situations I would prefer no pas power at all on at least one of the higher power settings. PAS interferes with throttle and just changing feet position will kick power on when you don't want it. You have to ride with the brake levers pulled slightly to stop it from happening which is a pain when hopping or climbing over technical stuff. Plus it messes with the throttle response making a poor throttle response much worse. I would give a pas only system a failing grade for technical off road use. Hopefully, I can get to a happy setting somewhere in the programming. For road or light trail use it works fine.

The only issue i'd like solved is how the throttle cuts out the PAS for a second.

Oh yeah, and how you can't use throttle at PAS 0

speedmd said:
...Plus it messes with the throttle response making a poor throttle response much worse. I would give a pas only system a failing grade for technical off road use....

Which is, frankly, the main reason I pulled my BBS02 kit off my mountain bike and moved it to my townie/grocery-getter. Now that I've started messing with the programming, maybe this can be remedied - we'll see.

pexio said:
speedmd said:
...Plus it messes with the throttle response making a poor throttle response much worse. I would give a pas only system a failing grade for technical off road use....

Which is, frankly, the main reason I pulled my BBS02 kit off my mountain bike and moved it to my townie/grocery-getter. Now that I've started messing with the programming, maybe this can be remedied - we'll see.

It's a great commuter kit. The relatively nice Mtn bike mine is on now will not keep it long. The wife expressed interest in it also and it will make a perfect townie when I can find her a suitable size bike at the right price. My modded GNG or something like a Lightningrods type kit will be much more powerful /exiting to ride on a off road bike. Maybe I will just save up for one of those Plattenburg /Joby class motors and start with a fresh design / build if time/ finances allow.

speedmd said:
It's a great commuter kit. SNIP The wife expressed interest in it also and it will make a perfect townie when I can find her a suitable size bike at the right price. SNIP

I mounted two kits on two townie style bikes. Fantastic rides. I found KHS Manhattans for $400. 4 or 5 sizes to choose from. Perfect chainline. 18-20MPH all day around town with a BBS01 350W. 13.8Ah cell_man battery gets 20 miles nearly 100% throttle. Perfect fit.

Electric Junk said:
The only issue i'd like solved is how the throttle cuts out the PAS for a second.
That is not an "issue" It provides for a handy way to cut power when changing gears.
Electric Junk said:
Oh yeah, and how you can't use throttle at PAS 0
This is already possible.

Electric Junk said:
how can you use throttle with 0 PAS?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=885839#p885839

pjgold said:
Kepler said:
In regards to have 100% hand throttle without effecting PAS seems to outside of the parameters we have available to us with this software. Perhaps it can be done but I can't see how it can be done at this stage.
On the Throttle tab set the Designated Assist to 9 and the Speed Limited to By Display's Command, this will give 100% assist (level 9) no matter what the display is set to and cut off at 50kph (max for the display unit)

This should give you 100% throttle in all PAS modes.

Fantomas said:
Electric Junk said:
how can you use throttle with 0 PAS?

Try and write 0 to the line. according Image

No.

Keep current is the parameter that decides how the pedal assistance decays with speed. For best performance set this set to 100% so that pedal assistance does not decay with speed.

Tom L said:
That is not an "issue" It provides for a handy way to cut power when changing gears.
Modern derailleur systems are designed to change gear under power, so that's what I do - even at PAS 9 and/or full throttle. I like quick shifts - no exploding chains so far. :)
The throttle lag is an annoyance to me. Is it my imagination or is the throttle lag only while the bike is moving? There does not seem to be any lag when applying the throttle when the bike is stopped (I've programmed 100% throttle in all PAS levels).

Also, I think I'm going to drop Keep Current down from 100% which it is now - but not down to the factory 20%. I find that once up to speed on a long flat or slight downhill, the PAS is too high. Gonna try 80% or 60%.

pexio said:
Tom L said:
Modern derailleur systems are designed to change gear under power, so that's what I do -

I'd dispute that claim. Even if true it would be human power not human plus electric power.

pexio said:
The throttle lag is an annoyance to me. Is it my imagination or is the throttle lag only while the bike is moving? There does not seem to be any lag when applying the throttle when the bike is stopped (I've programmed 100% throttle in all PAS levels).

That is my experience as well.

Andrew

I was playing around with the throttle settings this morning. I found that by simply changing the throttle "Mode:" from "Speed" to "Current", ALL throttle lag was eliminated. In every PAS level, applying the throttle gave instantaneous response whether pedaling, coasting, or stopped.

I also changed the "Start Voltage" from 11 to 9 and the "End Voltage" from 35 to 50 to try to broaden the throttle's effective motion range which seems to have worked. Your mileage may vary, but dropping Start Voltage below 9 generated an Error 4 for me. You can't go above 50 because the software errors out when it tries to write out to the controller.

All this assumes that you already have "Designated Assist" set to 9. Here is what my throttle settings look like:

surlythrottle (Custom).jpg

Tom L said:
pexio said:
Tom L said:
Modern derailleur systems are designed to change gear under power, so that's what I do -

I'd dispute that claim. Even if true it would be human power not human plus electric power.

It is true. Google "derailleur shifting under load" for hundreds of references or read just this one from St. Sheldon: "The rear derailer can usually shift under full load, but it is better for the chain to ease up a bit during the shift." I certainly agree that "easing up" is "better for the chain" but I like quick shifts and modern chains are strong and cheap. As a service to our community, I will continue my experiment of not easing up when I shift and report back when and if my chain breaks. You're welcome! :wink:

Just finished installing my BBS02 V2 and gave it a quick 5 mile test around the local cycle paths - yep, these things are good.

Just the slightest audible whine from the motor and scaled my local 'test hill' without breaking a sweat, very impressive, I can't see it ever needing any more than 12s lipo for my purposes.

Inevitably noticed a few little oddities, mainly a noticeable pulsing of the PAS assist at low speeds and assist levels, all no doubt tweakable in the software, so I join the ever growing list of people waiting for the V2 software to be..(cough)..released, lets hope it surfaces soon.

Geoff.

speedmd said:
My LBS shop owner is convinced that the new electric shift systems would be the best bet for loaded shifting. New is Too expensive for my blood just to mess with, but I do have first dibs on his used stuff when it's time for him to ride the latest version.

My Road bike has DI2 electronic shifting and I agree that it would be a great system to have on a mid drive. It is very quick and precise however its more than just that. The way D!2 carries out the perfect shift is that it when shifting up or down, it actually overshoots the next gear for a split second to ensure that gear picks up crisply. It then re centres the chain to the perfect position on the cog. One of the other neat feature of the DI2 system (although not relevant with our mid drives) is that it actively adjusts the front derailleur in conjunction with the rear derailleur so that the chain is never rubbing on the front shifter mech.

Only problem for now though is I think DI2 is only available for tight ratio road cluster setups. I beleive 28 tooth is the largest gear you can currently use.

Thanks Kepler, Now I can go that route with some confidence knowing you also think it would be suitable. I run mostly 10 and 9 speed setups and will not go back to soft chains and cogs of the older systems. Would be great if the electric shift systems could be hacked into or allow you to set program to work with either campy or shimano spaced cogs or even freewheels. "Compatibility mode". They would then be taken some advantage of some of the more advanced potential. Narrow chain runs on most any system so you could more easily swap out/ use rear wheels of any system that way.

If the electric shift system radio beacon can be captured by the mid drive controller somehow one could program a momentary "throttle back" to ease the shock on higher powered setups. Much like a modern auto tranny on the car. Or as the nice old farmer down the road say's, "Kid, If we keep this up we could put a man on the moon some day". :lol:

Back