Programming the Bafang Middrive BBS01+BBS02

Thanks teslanv ! Important to know....

Is the green connector on the engine side ? With how many poles ?

All other is the same on both ?

The Green Connector is towards the top end of the harness at the Display unit.

The easier way to tell is to ask what the manufacture date of the unit is. Anything after July 2014 will be the New 9FET controller and newest connector. Anything From November 2013 through June of 2014 will be the New connector, but a 6FET controller.

Oh, i ordered in the change time.... hope I get the 9FET Controller...
Do you think the difference is graet ?

Btw: 9FET means what ? Is it a better AD converter resulution ?

Rider2000 said:
Oh, i ordered in the change time.... hope I get the 9FET Controller...
Do you think the difference is graet ?

9FET means less heat than the 6FET. And it's less likely to die on you. Both are limited to 25A current. The 9FET just handles it better. That's basically the difference.

I've been riding my November 2013 motor (6FET) at 25A for almost a year without issue. But I have a spare 9FET controller as a back-up in case the 6FET dies. 8)

If you have yours in hand, look at the bottom and tell us the serial number. We can deduce from that the manufacture date and whether it has the 6FET of 9FET controller.

Yes, the serial number is on the bottom of the motor. The first several numbers indicate the Month and year of the motor.

Rider2000 said:
I did not get my Bafang BBS01 engine yet, hope it arrive soon :) So I have time to think...

Thanks !

BBS01

Thanks for the warnings.
My USB converter looks like the one bgt used on page 20. Does that mean I need to connect white to green and green to white?
Joe

Oh , yes BBS01. Is it the similar Story for this one ?

This is the printing on the rear:
1306270031 , 36V 18A , 25km/h

Rider2000 said:
Oh , yes BBS01. Is it the similar Story for this one ?

This is the printing on the rear:
1306270031 , 36V 18A , 25km/h
No. No reported controller problems that I've read.

Now that we know how to program the BBS0X the next question is what works. Cellman's experience is the. stock setting are good. I was hoping to improve PAS. Get a little more assist out of PAS to discourage going to the throttle. Maybe even remove the throttle is it work good enough.Does anyone feel like they've found the magic combo? I'm fairly happy with the stock programming, but feel like it could be improved. Has this information been compiled somewhere other than this page
Thanks
Joe

Rider2000 said:
The 3 poles in the motor use 3x2Fets=6 Fets. Where do they use the other 3 for? I presume the bafang uses 3 poles(in star) for the brushless sytem.

bgt said:
The 3 poles in the motor use 3x2Fets=6 Fets. Where do they use the other 3 for? I presume the bafang uses 3 poles(in star) for the brushless sytem.

I asked this question in a different thread, and here's the reply, FWIW:

During partial throttle, one bank of the high side FETs is switching on/off at the PWM frequency, which is typically 10-20kHz. When the high side turns off, the collapsing magnetic field will try to circulate current through the body diode of the opposing low side FET. Since the voltage drop of the body diode is much greater than the voltage drop across a FET that's turned on, it will generate more heat. By using 2 parallel FETs on the low side, the heat dissipation will be a little more even.

Thanx, that explains a lot. They use only N powermosfets so there is an unbalanced situation. Because the low side has the drain connected to the coil you get problems. With a proper P powermosfet it would have been easier to control the reverse current. But proper high power P power mosfets will be expensive. So thats the cheap solution compromise. I wonder how Bosch will do it? Its Always about economics :roll:

Postby jpo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:07 am

Now that we know how to program the BBS0X the next question is what works. Cellman's experience is the. stock setting are good. I was hoping to improve PAS. Get a little more assist out of PAS to discourage going to the throttle. Maybe even remove the throttle is it work good enough.Does anyone feel like they've found the magic combo? I'm fairly happy with the stock programming, but feel like it could be improved. Has this information been compiled somewhere other than this page
Thanks
Joe
jpo
100 mW
100 mW

I've played around with the PAS settings a fair bit and have come to the conclusion that although some improvements (for individual personal preferences) can be made, I don't think there is any magic combo.

I guess I'm stating the obvious, but the problem is that for easy consistent peddling the assist level required is constantly on the change, depending on incline, headwind, surface, etc. In the absence of torque sensing the Bafang can't really respond to this so, like most people, I find myself either adjusting assist level on the fly or just adding in a bit of throttle when needed, a bit of a fudge I suppose but it does the job.

Hopefully in future models Bafang will include some torque sensing for better PAS operation, I'm guessing however that this may require new software to operate it so I'm thinking it won't be a retrospective upgrade. In the meantime what we've got works reasonably well as long as you accept its limitations.

geofft said:
as long as you accept its limitations.
That is so true. I hope they will make a torque sensor one also in future. But maybe for this type of housing it is impossible????

geofft said:
Hopefully in future models Bafang will include some torque sensing for better PAS operation, I'm guessing however that this may require new software to operate it so I'm thinking it won't be a retrospective upgrade. In the meantime what we've got works reasonably well as long as you accept its limitations.
I read constantly and try and follow, but due to a stroke lose track. However I'm certain I read Bafang has done just that. I'm trying to find the link...

EDIT

http://www.energiecycles.com/#!news/c12oa
"Bafang just showcased the newest mid-drive system with a combined torque and speed sensor that is in pre-production. The prototype at the show gave everyone a glimpse. The challenge is that it requires the similar bottom bracket mount change found on the majority of other mids such as the Bosch system."

tomjasz said:
geofft said:
I read constantly and try and follow, but due to a stroke lose track. However I'm certain I read Bafang has done just that. I'm trying to find the link...EDIThttp://www.energiecycles.com/#!news/c12oa"Bafang just showcased the newest mid-drive system with a combined torque and speed sensor that is in pre-production. The prototype at the show gave everyone a glimpse. The challenge is that it requires the similar bottom bracket mount change found on the majority of other mids such as the Bosch system."
Yes, but thats for Bosch like frames, not the standard bikes where you replace the crancks with the BBS-0X midmotors.

I was certain I also saw a bit on a recent model similar to ours with a sensor.... still looking....

jpo said:
Thanks
Joe
The programming that Kepler provided works great. I use it and don't have a throttle. I have almost 500 commute miles on the bike.

I though that I 'd read and seen the good works of Kepler, but have not been able to relocated the settings he uses.
I will research.

Another question. One of the drives has the older plug. I'm thinking of splicing the other half of my green plug in parallel. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if they wire colors are the same in the old plug as they are in the new. Or better yet a source of the old style plug.

Back