Question for Kelly KLS controller

pinkskies

1 µW
I have just purchased a Kelly KLS7245H Controller as well as a QS Motor 273 50H. I have mounted the motor but I downloaded the program to modify parameters and I see there is only an option for windows 7 or windows XP has anyone has success working with these controllers on a windows 10 computer? Additionally, I found these steps on the form to get it spinning

"The first thing you'll have to do is to make the self learning test, where the controller will determine the hall sensors orientation. The manual is quite confusing and the app is also quite weird, but basically you just do the followings:
-Switch off your brain, just follow the steps
-Click on "vehicle" at the very bottom of the window
-Locate the line "Identification angle"
-There should be a number in it, probably 85
-Change this number to 170. Don't ask me why 170, it doesn't make any sense but apparently that's the magic number to get this whole process starting.
-Click on write and then do not touch anything
-I forgot if I had to restart the controller or not at this point, so if nothing happens after ten seconds, then restart the controller
-wait for another ten seconds, if I remember correctly the motor will make some weird click noises, move slightly a few times, then the controller will beep once finished.
-Restart the controller again
-Now it should display 85 again at the line "identification angle""

Does anyone else have advice for setting up one of these controllers. The motor/controller took so long to arrive from China I am terrified of screwing anything up!

pinkskies said:
I have mounted the motor but I downloaded the program to modify parameters and I see there is only an option for windows 7 or windows XP has anyone has success working with these controllers on a windows 10 computer?
I don't know yet. I have a (probably broken) kelly on the way that I can test this with, to see if it works on my win10 laptop.

Does anyone else have advice for setting up one of these controllers. The motor/controller took so long to arrive from China I am terrified of screwing anything up!
The only warning I have is that with some kellys (don't know if yours is one of them) there is a big warning in the manual not to "spin the motor" when it is connected to the programmer/etc, or it can (will) brick the controller, forcing you to send it back to Kelly for repair. I have no direct expereince with this, but it has happened to some people. So if this warning is in your manual...don't do what it says not to do. ;)

I have purchased this BMS -- "10S ~ 24S Smart ANT BMS Bluetooth Lifepo4 Li-ion LTO Battery Protection Board"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10S-24S-Smart-ANT-BMS-Bluetooth-Lifepo4-Li-ion-LTO-Battery-Protection-Board-/313014455885

I have everything wired in no problem and it all looks good I can connect to the app and the screen shows everything. I am stuck however trying to figure out to get the speed from my controller I have a KLS7245H. If anyone has done this please help.

Does the BMS have a speedometer input wire? If not, there isnt' any way to get a speed sensor reading into it that I can think of (since it can't communicate with the controller via BT--even if the controller also has BT, there is no way to pair them).

If it has a speedo input wire, then you would use one of the hall signal "echo" wires from the kelly. (meant to pass the signal from the motor to a dashboard). If the hall output from the controller/motor is typical, then it will be around 1v-4v; if the speedo input wire directly takes a signal from around 1v to around 4v, then it shoudlnt need any buffer or modification of the signal. If the voltage ranges are not compatible then you'd need to build a buffer of some type between them (perhaps as simple as a voltage divider, perhaps as complex as an opamp or logic-level translation circuit).

ANT bms has hall effect sensor input under the LCD screen. Information is in the manual, you need to solder the wire there by yourself :)

Attachments

• BMS_LCD_Hall.jpg
    BMS_LCD_Hall.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 348
Hi, all Will Jones from the Cannonball Sun team here. Currently, we are about 760 miles into our cross-country trek. For those that don't know, we are three college students who have built a solar car to complete the Cannonball Run a drive from New York City to Los Angeles California. As we were loading our car into our trailer tonight we accidentally fried our motor controller and need a new motor controller ASAP. The model is a Kelly Controller KLS7245H but we can make just about anything work. We can pay whatever it takes we just need it ASAP. Please help, the motor is a QS273 50H.

Here is a link to our website

https://www.thecannonballsun.com/

Back