Questions about A123 battery pack

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I have some general questions about A123 battery (& similar) configurations and wiring.

I'm thinking about hooking two 6s2p packs in series to give me 39.6v, 4500-4600mAh.

My first question is about balancing the 6s2p packs. What kind of balancing plug would the pack have? Someone tells me I should use a 6-way balance plug,
but there are 12 cells in the pack. How can you balance 12 cells with only 6 pins on the plug? If there is a suitable plug for this packs,
are they balanced in pairs? Or isn't that how they work?

If each pack actually needs two balancing plugs then that will mean four plugs in total, which would make the charging and balancing procedure rather cumbersome.

Second question, can 2 such packs actually be connected in series? And if they can, is there a way to do all the balancing on all the cells via one balancing plug?
Thanks in advance! Anyway the A123 is very good, I'm the regular customer !

Moderator edit: Removed spam link signature from spam post; left question post since answers provided may help real people.

it is 12 cells yes but only 6 need to be balanced because the pairing of the cells is permanent (to a degree) so their will be a 7 wire plug for the balance lead on each pack

eg

Untitled 1.gif

their will be 2 7 pin plugs needed to be used refer to my above diagram of each of the 2p6s packs
yes you can run the in serries without any problems provided you use proper gauged cabling and connectors
and yes you could use one large balance plug for the pack as a hole but it would be 13 connectors per plug and once again see above diagram

Back