Quick question on rim size preference

markz

100 TW
I bought a 20" Alex rim from ebay, I realize now its to small.
I should have bought a 24" rim, now I am thinking maybe just stay with the 26" rim for my mxus 3000w v2 motor.

http://www.alexrims.com/product_detail.asp?sc=1&cat=19&cat2=21&pid=73
I can buy this rim from a local national retailer, Alex Ace‑18 Rim 26" 36 Hole CSW for $32. Double wall, made for XC and mountain riding.
Sheldon Browns website says I can put a 2.3" tire on a 559x17 clincher rim.

I am probably just over analyzing this
All I think I know is - That larger diameter = more speed/less torque, smaller diameter = less speed/more torque.

I kind of want the more torque/less speed, but also after doing a bit of reading I realize that I also loose some footprint on the ground for the 24", also it puts my stock pedal arms closer to the ground. Also I have read that holes, bumps are not good for smaller rims. I might just stay at 26" rim afterall.

So is there that much of a difference in torque between the 24" and the 26" rims, and with that how much extra diameter does a knobby tire add?

The issue is heat. We all know that a larger wheel rides better. I accepted the compromise to ride on 24 X 3.0, for the ride quality is close to a 26, with better reliability. 20 is good only on smooth surface, but the safest when it comes to motor heat. I still have a bike that rides on 26 (28.5 OD with a 3.0 tire) for the very bad trails, but it has a heavy slow motor (X 5404) to limit the heat.

The faster the motor, the more advantage it has to be in a smaller wheel.

markz said:
I bought a 20" Alex rim from ebay, I realize now its to small.
I should have bought a 24" rim, now I am thinking maybe just stay with the 26" rim for my mxus 3000w v2 motor.

http://www.alexrims.com/product_detail.asp?sc=1&cat=19&cat2=21&pid=73
I can buy this rim from a local national retailer, Alex Ace‑18 Rim 26" 36 Hole CSW for $32. Double wall, made for XC and mountain riding.
Sheldon Browns website says I can put a 2.3" tire on a 559x17 clincher rim.

I am probably just over analyzing this
All I think I know is - That larger diameter = more speed/less torque, smaller diameter = less speed/more torque.

I kind of want the more torque/less speed, but also after doing a bit of reading I realize that I also loose some footprint on the ground for the 24", also it puts my stock pedal arms closer to the ground. Also I have read that holes, bumps are not good for smaller rims. I might just stay at 26" rim afterall.

So is there that much of a difference in torque between the 24" and the 26" rims, and with that how much extra diameter does a knobby tire add?
Why would you go to the trouble to replace a rim and use a pizza-cutter. Sure, I can lever a 2.4 tire on a 22 rim, but they work much better on a 32. I don't think Sheldon Brown did much trail riding.
If you can "flat-foot" your bike with the 26 incher's stay with them. If you go with 24's, start looking for a new crank-set with shorter crank-arms.
Also, there is a much better selection with 26" tires.

Get the DX32 if you are going to use1.95 or wider tires.
http://www.alexrims.com/product_detail.asp?sc=0&cat=22&pid=82

Back