Raised Bed Gardening - Cement Blocks > Greenhouse!

Cleaning up the garden, 4 nights of frost finished off most everything.
Pulled up dead plants and giving the soil a turn, planted a last seeding of radishes.

Transplanted (into high tunnel) Hot Peppers, Basil and Lettuce doing great.
Plan on clearing a couple more beds of the depleted Tomato plants and starting some more Lettuce, Radishes, Basil and Celantro

Have all the fixings to rig the cooling. Will be necessary to moderate Fall temperature fluctuations.
One thermostatically controlled fan will force cool air to mix with the hottest peak air, moderating and circulating.
2nd fan, at opposite end, will vent hottest air, allowing a direct cross flow.
#1 fan engaging when temp rises above 85(?) at head level, 2nd engaging towards 95(?) , subject to readjustment.

nicobie said:
It's been fun watching your garden mature over the years.

Good job!

Agreed! As a retired horticulturist, I too have really enjoyed following the progress. WELL DONE~

Tomato splitting!

Bane of last years Fall tomato harvest reappearing. (from inside High Tunnel)
Not due to watering! Watering is regular and consistent via timed daily application though soaker hoses.
I have been adding calcium and Epsom salts with supplemental watering.
Elimination of various possibilities seems to indicate temperature fluctuations as the probable culprit.
Temperatures fluctuate between >100 and <40-50.

DrkAngel said:
One thermostatically controlled fan will force cool air to mix with the hottest peak air, moderating and circulating.
2nd fan, at opposite end, will vent hottest air, allowing a direct cross flow.
#1 fan engaging when temp rises above 85(?) at head level, 2nd engaging towards 95(?) , subject to readjustment.

Into the Fall

Garden
Harvesting from 3 plantings of Radishes, Collard Greens and Swiss Chard producing steadily and replanting of smaller Onion bulbs is producing a nice little bed of Green Onions.

High Tunnel
Tomatoes producing about 50lb every week, about 25lb of Sweet Peppers and near 5lb of Hot Peppers. Buttercrunch Lettuce nearing harvest size, 2 plantings promising 2nd crop in November. Some varieties of Tomatoes not flowering and nearing end of life, will be removed, allowing additional Lettuce and Radish plantings.

Monarchs
#7 finally emerged, much later than I expected. Was given some healthy feedings of 20% honey-water mix before release into mild forecast weather. Final tally of 10 chrysali producing 4 females, 3 males and 3 ftl (failure to launch).

Further
Heating/cooling.
Exercise equipment and reading nook need updating.
Need clean out and composting of garden beds.
Fabric removal under block beds.
Prep and planting of new Garlic bed.
Recovery and storage of Pantry garden irrigation lines.
Recovery and placement of rescue Goldfish from water barrels to Winter homes.

In the midst of a Freeze, 25 degrees F as dawn nears.

Cleared about 2 HT beds of the lesser producing Tomato plants, freshed up the soil with well decomposed horse manure and transplanted in September plantings of Buttercrunch lettuce, Spinach, Beets, and Cilantro. Also transplanted in a lovely Nasturtium plant. Will post up pictures after seedlings recover from transplant shock. There is still a sampling of Cilantro, Beets, Lettuce, Spinach, Celery, Carrots, Dill, Swiss Chard, Collard Greens, Brussel Sprouts and Radishes in the garden, so I will be able to gauge frost/freeze durability.

Disconnected the outside irrigation hosing and will be draining rain barrels, just need to find Winter homes for the surviving goldfish.

End of Season
Time to clear beds and add mulch - 2019 leaves and compost. Warming back into the 50's next week ...
Emptied 4 rain barrels, rescued 3 beautiful goldfish ... found them a good Winter home (might have problems getting them back come Spring?).
Forecast is for low 20's this week, Will seal the roll up sides, of the High Tunnel, for the Winter. Powered ventilation installed and may complete thermostatic circuit today. Transitioning HT to frost resistant crops,, may be pulling more Tomato plants, "green" tomatoes saved in paper bags with hormone producing ripe apple and getting good results of continued ripening.

You can also wrap the tomatoes in newspaper, individually. It's more work, but bruising/rotting is less likely. I have stuffed what plants will fit into my little heated greenhouse, and will move the ones that survive that to the cellar to hibernate, later. It gives you a huge head start to begin with even barely alive mature plants in the Spring.

Posted up, earlier, for our Gardeneers ...
"70+ today through Tuesday.
Good time to clean up your garden beds and ... I just rototilled through the compost and processed up some fine mulch to add."

Prepped the new Garlic bed!
4' x 20'.
Removed all weeds.
Added a 2" layer of composted leaves and veggie matter and 1" of well seasoned horse manure.
Dug deep with a heavy fork and turned it in ... looked beautifully rich.
Left for lunch ...
Returned, ready to place the prepped garlic cloves into the wondrous soil, some "helpful" volunteer deprived me of the joy!
Some "selfish" person stole that honor for herself!
Further "salt in the wound", she smoothly mulched with some bright wood shavings ... leaving me with only the mundane task of wetting down the shavings to keep them from blowing away ... :cry:

Well ... guess I did assign her the task of prepping the bulbs into cloves ... and took a pretty long lunch ... and missed her text saying she was coming to plant ...

Next year! Vigilance !

I was going to turn the compost into my raised beds this week, but...painting. My housemate did remove the dead plants - and one live lettuce that bolted a while back, and managed to survive several hard freezes - in preparation. I'm still harvesting tomatoes and peppers and scallion greens from the greenhouse and the cellar, and indoor lettuce, and expect to be doing so until roughly Christmas. We'll probably also get a couple more smallish Japanese eggplants. Just for the hell of it I tried planting more scallion seeds in a pot in the cellar.

I allowed some Dill plant to grow in the Cucumber bed, went to seed, and now have a 6" high full carpet of Dill plants. Survived the frosts and freezes so will move some into the greenhouse. Still harvesting Radishes, Green Onions, Swiss Chard and Collard Greens from outside.

Had horrible luck with Romaine Lettuce this year, went to Buttercrunch and have 3 crops growing in the HT, sweet and tender!

1 bed of Spinach left in the garden, for transplant inside.

Pantry garden being scheduled for conversion from wood to blocks, come Spring. Will likely build as 2 block high 16" beds.

Most outside beds, will likely just top with compost and manure, weather till Spring then turn in, except cuke and squash beds,ill turn them up to help kill cucumber beetle eggs-larva, then compost come Spring..

Winter Therapy
Basil suffering from the cold nights! Was thinking about moving some cuttings into the "grow tower" ...
Might as well add some Rosemary and Thyme for aromatic "rejuvenation".
Rosemary cuttings are notoriously slow to reroot, so might start with Parsley\Basil\Cilantro trays. Get them started now for Christmas. Maybe Rosemary\Basil\Thyme ready for deep Winter-Spring fever.
Add small SAD Led (6500K) lighting as additional therapy and growth.

Have Basil plants under grow light in the basement, will take cuttings and begin repopulating spare pots as Spring rejuvenation therapy items.

Some old onions started growing, so stuck on top of water filled glasses and have enjoyed continuous fresh green onions in my salads and sandwiches. Most had multiple shafts, cut one at a time for steady crop, yes, they regrow.

Beginning plans for indoor starting some Peppers, Eggplants, Celery, Onions, Beets etc. Especially want to give Hot Peppers a good early start. Will probably ramp up the lumens in the Grow tower and possibly add oscillating fan to strengthen seedlings.

The weather turns Monday. Small steps towards the new growing year.
Will reconnect rainwater accumulation pipes for the rain and 50 degree weather.

Hoping the warm spell will thaw out the compost pile for bed application, still working on horse manure acquisition.

Trying to rejuvenate #1 50Ah SLA ... again. Used for irrigation pump and #1 ventilation fan. It suffered a fault or failure late last year. Have acquired some LIFE alternative and 2 solar Lithium chargers, just in case.

Early started Basil, Parsley and Cilantro and trying to quick start various Peppers with H2O & HO wetted paper towel in zip lock bags.

With Covid, I'm unsure as to hosting a planting party ...
Plenty of interest, and most of us old volunteers have been vaccinated but the kids and the "fresh blood" seem the most enthusiastic, hate to leave them out!

BONUS: Just got the offer of a donor cat to house in the High Tunnel as Chipmunk control officer.

Planting party?
Planning for this coming weekend, Sunday after noon (March 21)? Got a selection of seeds and soil and will set up in the high tunnel, if not too hot.

Got the solar power fixed and rainwater pumping again. Cilantro is doing great, Radishes recovering, Beets still growing ... just needed water.

Waiting for the compost pile to melt so we can refresh the beds. Will likely repopulate some HT beds with some cold weather crops, Beets, Carrots, Onions, Cilantro, Lettuce, Parsley, Radishes etc.

Good news!
Peppers are normally slow to germinate, usually takes 3-4 weeks.
Tried a method of slightly wetting paper towel with 50% water\hydrogen peroxide, folding around seeds, placing in ziplock bag and letting set in 70°F for 1 week ... success! 7 types of Peppers all with a high percentage germinated, ready to plant in pots. Just need to be gentle with fragile "stems".

Bonus: Boy Scouts seeking approval for converting Pantry beds from wood to cement blocks, they may also raise Family beds to 2 blocks high!

60 and sunny for my long weekend (Sat, Sun, Mon), getting set up for Sunday planting party. Got plenty of trays, soil, and seeds and announcement is spreading.
Will be prepping and planting some HT beds but will require some manual watering.
Cilantro especially seems to like cooler Spring weather. Will also mass seed a bed with Beets for later transplant and tray of Lettuce.

Food pantry got several bags of wilted green onions. I will cut greens, leaving 1½" of stem with the ½" of roots, and try regrowing ... can't get onion sets yet! Outside planting will be a few weeks, ground is still frozen, but much can be started in HT, left over Garlic etc popping up in several spots.

Pepper, in pots, have sprouted up, Basil, Cilantro and Parsley started nicely but screwed up marking them, don't know Parsley from Cilantro and may be weeks before I can smell them apart.

Planting party went well, about 8 attendees with something productive for everyone to do. Almost filled the grow tower ... with additional pottings of cold resistant crops in the high tunnel.

Prepped the Southern 5 HT beds with seasoned compost and partially planted with Beets, Radishes, Cilantro, Parsley, Oregano and, taking a big chance, Basil.

Primed the 250 gallon rain tank with city water and Vitamin C, moistened up the bone dry beds. Tuned up the water system and enabled the Southern irrigation system, manual mode at present..

Still need to enable the powered ventilation, will start with the one thermostatically controlled peak intake fan, mixes cool outside air with hot peak air and circulates. Will enable #2 peak exhaust as Summer approaches for direct crossflow of hottest peak air. Fans are reversible, if necessary to force dual peak exhaust.

Week -7 ( 2021 Growing Season)

Composted 4 more Ht beds and planted Peas along the North wall-fence, Sugar Peas (tasty pods) surrounding the High Tunnel Beds. Early snacking crop that fixes Nitrogen into the soil.

Finally pulled last Falls White Radishes, top halves turned pithy ... planted replacement seeds, for harvest before Tomato planting time. Nothing from the planting party growing yet, but my quick germination Peppers are nicely started, some with 1st true leaves showing, (growing at home under LED lights), Basil, Parsley And Cilantro doing good as well. May need to move Cilantro outside ... it seems to do best in cooler environs.

Added compost to several Family bed, my double and abandoned beds that I adopted for Pantry last year. Just spread compost on top, will turn in after it weathers and smothers growing Spring weeds.

Oops, forgot, rescued green onions surviving and showing evidence of growth! Some were left whole while others had most of the greens cut off. Planted some outside and some in HT, so will have opportunity to compare.

Debating, with myself, on starting Carrots ... not too early, but then I would feel obligated to also plant Potatoes (later) which seems to always be a waste of space (Pantry gets massive quantities cheap!). Though I do often plant some Potatoes, late season, just for the small babies to pop whole into my rice cooker meals.

Just received more seeds, more Nasturtiums and deep red Morning Glories! 😎 👩‍🌾

Week -6

1 week since planting party:
Radishes, Beets, Tomatoes and, thanks to a seed pre-soak, even Peppers are popping out of the soil. There is some fear that we planted too early and might outgrow the Grow Tower. Fortunately we can move some to harden in the protection of the HT, to acclimatize to full sun and occasional breezes.
Been prepping several Family Beds, pulled landscape fabric from beneath another long row of beds, which piled the soil, disrupting Onions and Garlic, that I separated and replanted but otherwise left some beds in need of proper tending ... *****.
I will be planting Spinach, Parsley, Carrots, Beets, Peas soon. Can't find bulk Onion sets yet. Transplanted some Cilantro from the HT, I fear it will bolt from the warmth!
Problem is:
been waiting on our delivery of seasoned horse manure for prepping Family beds;
Boys Scouts are rebuilding Pantry beds with cement blocks .. in May, so not available yet;
want to limit early HT crops to early harvest, or for transplant!

Update - Getting anxious to be gardening! Road trip, 40 miles, heard reports of Onion sets in neighboring town, got about 5lbs of reds and whites. Also found giant pots at their Dollar Tree, each about 5 gallon but 18" wide. Will try growing Ginger in some. Maybe Hot Peppers into the winter.

Week -5

Week 2, since seed starting party.
Yes, seedlings will be thinned, some were old seeds and over planted to insure pots fully populated.
Trending towards larger pots to ensure unrestricted growth.

Tomatoes & Nasturtiums
210404_01.jpg

Peppers
210404_02.jpg

More Peppers
210404_03.jpg

Basil, Peppers, Morning Glories etc.

Lower shelf warmed with 60w halogen bulb, just added 60w equivalent LED "daylight" bulb for enhanced growth.
210404_04.jpg

Herb's new place
210404_05.jpg

Radishes & Herbs
210404_06.jpg

Radishes & Beets surrounded by Candy Cane Beets
210404_07.jpg

East view
210404_08.jpg

Onions & Lettuce
210404_09.jpg

Cilantro, going to seed = Coriander
210404_10.jpg

Beets
210404_11.jpg

Radishes
210404_12.jpg

Peas
210404_13.jpg

Family Gardens - prepped several beds with compost layer, will allow to weather a bit before turning in.
210404_14.jpg

Pantry Gardens,
Nearest beds are Garlic, remainder of wooden beds scheduled for May rebuild with cement blocks
210404_15.jpg

Ventilation fans tested manually, with voltage-speed regulation, 90w radiator fans will otherwise overwhelm 100w solar panels capability. Waiting on solder delivery to install thermostat circuits.

Evaluating my acquisition of LiFePO4 cells for possible 4s solar storage build, requires removal from soldered & glued circuit boards.

nicobie said:
Garden looks good! Nice start on the season.

We planted strawberries yesterday even though we got lucky and last years have survived and we're still getting fruit on them (it hasn't froze yet this year).

Upstate NY has some rougher weather.
Mid May is usually safe, after last frost. I start Tomatoes 5-6 weeks ahead, Peppers 6+ weeks. Not pictured are my quick started Peppers in large peet pots, already started on their 2nd set of true leaves growing under 6500K LED strips. Got some really dense Basil, growing close to a 5w LED lamp.

Normally I would be planting cold resistant crops outside, but Pantry Garden rebuild is holding me up and Family Gardens are still waiting on seasoned Horse manure. Weather's too nice, will likely prep and plant small sections of beds with Radishes, Beets, Carrots Cilantro, Parsley, Spinach etc. ... just to see stuff growing?

PS Strawberries and Rhubarb are starting nicely! Garlic is about 4" through the wood shavings.

DrkAngel said:
Not pictured are my quick started Peppers in large peet pots, already started on their 2nd set of true leaves growing under 6500K LED strips. Got some really dense Basil, growing close to a 5w LED lamp.
Early starters:

Basil
Very dense, stunted from small pots, or compact from close LED lamp? LED of unknown color temperature, should have used flash for true healthy color.
Basil.jpg

Parsley n Basil
Healthy growth under 6500K LED light strips. 12V transformer.

Parsley n Basil.jpg

Peppers
Strong 6500K LED strip producing thick, robust plants. Must try to transplant extra seedlings when thinning.
Peppers.jpg

2021 -4 weeks
A few Family Beds still available! Call *** to confirm your use.
Plan on rototilling Family beds near 1st of May ... so, clean up and compost your beds before then.

Tomatoes doing well. Forecast is for some warm overcast days, so moved some trays to High Tunnel for "hardening".
01.jpg

Peppers
Most doing well, but 1 Hot Pepper tray suffering poor germination.
02.jpg

More Peppers
03.jpg

Morning Glories etc, Nasturtiums getting too big
04.jpg

Herbs doing well
05.jpg

Herbs, & 2 planting of Radishes
06.jpg

Green Onions from old green onions. Trays of Lettuce and Onions from seeds..
07.jpg

East View
Will harvest most everything from interior beds by, or before, May 1
08.jpg

1st planting of Radishes and Beets
Last years Celery survived the Winter, decided to rip them out, but found that they spawned separate plants. So, replanted several well started new Celery in nice fresh soil.
09.jpg

Cilantro, going Coriander ... fast. Hope some pollinators show up.
10.jpg

2021 -3 week

01.jpg

Tomatoes surging.
02.jpg

Peppers!
03.jpg

04.jpg

East end
05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Harvested a lb of largest green onions, for Tuna fish sandwiches etc.
08.jpg

Radishes, about 2 weeks from harvest, border of Garlic is questionable of good harvest, tends to prefer cooler climate.
09.jpg

Beets progressing well, Radishes nearing harvest size, 1-2 weeks?
10.jpg

Cilantro, sorry ... Coriander, flowering.
11.jpg

Oregano, bursting at the seams
12.jpg

Weather forecast looks great. Tuesday looks optimal for moving seedlings from Grow Tower into High Tunnel. Several overcast days, gradually turning to partly sunny should help seedling hardiness. Opening only 1 side of HT will supply wind movement without the harshness of crossflow.

Do need to thin some and will try to transplant into HT, rather than cut some seedlings. Plan on 1 bed each for Tomatoes and Peppers. Definitely need to plant 1 Scarlet Morning Glory, it already is climbing and tangling onto the LED lights in the GT.

Low 20's the other night did do some damage, inside HT, to Nasturtiums and possibly some Coriander, but hopeful of possible recovery.

Weather forecast looks so nice ... may rototill some of the Family beds, the prepped ones.

Back