Razor Ecosmart question.

Karl Gant

1 µW
Hey Everybody...1st post. Had a question(s) regarding some mods I've recently done to my Ecosmart. It started out as a regular Ecosmart that I intended to do some upgrades to(front suspension fork, front brake addition, 48V conversion, etc.), but instead, I modified it to AWD by swapping in a Razor DXT Electric Drift Trike front fork assembly, to the existing Ecosmart head tube. The Drift Trike assembly has a 36v 500w motor(same as Ecosmart), disc brake set-up, and has the same diameter wheel/tire set-up as the Ecosmart, and was a fairly straightforward swap. Had to get some different hardware(bolts/washers/spacers/bearings for headtube), but all-in-all, no real surprises.

Since I knew I was running TWO motors off ONE 36v SLA battery pack, I went with the 36v 15ah pack, to replace the Ecosmart OEM, 36v 7ah pack. I also got a 2nd Razor 36v controller, a 2nd On/Off switch, and enough wire and connectors to make a "splitter" harness to power each controller separately from the main, single battery "power out" connector.

I hooked everything up. I've got the 2 separate switches to turn power on or off to each motor. I retained the separate throttles, so that I can accelerate each motor independently(although, you have to flip one of the throttles 180 degrees on the handlebar to have a throttle on each side...1 twists rearward like a normal throttle, the other side twists forward. It works.). It's pretty quick and fast. Fun. My problem is the following: the existing harness on the battery pack has an in-line 30amp fuse. Obviously, this battery pack is meant to run thru one controller to power one motor. With 2 controllers/2 throttles/2 motors the 30 amp fuse blows pretty easily. How do I fix this situation? Separate fuses at each controller? Please advise, and THANKS!

Karl in Tempe

As long as the wiring and connectors are big enough to handle the load, you could just use a higher rated fuse.

Also, left handed throttles are available.

dustNbone said:
As long as the wiring and connectors are big enough to handle the load, you could just use a higher rated fuse.

Also, left handed throttles are available.

Thanks for that...I saw some of those l/h thumb type throttles, but I just decided to stay as simple(but not necessarily pretty)as possible...all the connections were pretty idiot proof that way.

As far as wire size...I'm pretty sure the battery harness was 12 gauge, and I know the splitter harness I made was 12 gauge. Guess I'll trial and error various greater than 30 amp fuses until they don't blow any more when I mash both throttles at once. I'll keep a fire extinguisher close by. :bigthumb: :flame:

Thanks!

Back