re-drilling a 9C hub

davec

1 kW
1. so i got my templates

View attachment 1

templa2.png

2. stay tuned

my next step is to use a transfer punch to mark the new holes
than use a laser guided press drill to push 2.4mm holes into the flange to support my new 13/14GA butted spokes

the construction of these hubs is all wrong. the exsisting holes are 3mm which is wrong, normal spokes are 2mm to 2.3mm and possibly 2.6mm if you're using 12g , that is alot of wiggle room. Sometimes the spokes actually dig into the flange and stretch it.... I don't see this on normal bicycle hub even, for 14ga spokes the hub are drilled properly for 2.1mm - even if you check bionix hubs they are drilled correctly
a temporary solution would be to get spoke washers, but i'd rather get it done right and fix my 9c so it will last
update: my alex dm24 is in the mail, along with my 13/14 butted sapim spokes

Why Spokes Break
There are two main reasons that spokes break:
- Play between the hub flange and the spoke head.
- And low or uneven spoke tension.
Since a spoke is constantly being loaded and unloaded, even the slightest amount of play between the spoke and
the hub flange will cause the spoke to jerk back and forth in the flange, which widens the spoke hole (continually
exacerbating the problem) and causing the spoke to fatigue and become brittle.

I like your style. Lately we have been drilling hubs with more appropriate insertion angles to the rim. Like making them .75 cross for 26" or .25 cross for BMX rims. I'll choose hub mods over rim mods any day.

Hi John,

do you countersunk your spoke holes?

i'm guessing this decision will be based on the material the hub flange is made.
it's interesting to see how every hub vendor has a different pattern - some have both sides of every spoke hole countersunk - some only one side, etc....

the main reason for the counstersunk is to support the elbow so it dosn't rough up against the sharp edge.
If the bend sits against a square unchamfered edge of a drilled hole, the sharp square edge will work against the spoke and create a nick or fatigue point, which is usually where the spoke will break. The spoke head itself should sit on a flat surface not a countersunk hole.

i plan to do a 1c lace- with spoke heads facing the outside of the flange... putting countersinks on the inside of the flange will be tricky so i think i will avoid doing them. softening up the edges a bit on the inside could help but it's hard to get in there- i imagine for steel you would use a countersink drink and smooth the edges,but Aluminum flanges are softer than spokes, so the edges of non-countersunk holes will easily conform (shape) to the shape of the spoke

according to Roger_Musson from "The Professional Guide to Wheel Building"

"spoke holes will usually be countersunk to accomodate the elbow of the spoke
countersinking is not important consideration on aluminum flanges since the spokes will
bed themselves into the softer material regardless."

Edit: well looks like to drill the holes properly, i'll need a center punch, than a spotting drill bit,
i can get by with just the center punch as the indent made by it will be enough to avoid the 3/32 drill bit from walking- but i want this as accurate as possible. no one sells spot drill bits around here so ill have to waite again.

while im waiting on parts
heck might as well upgrade the bearings

since my 2807 is a disc version looks like ill need
6002 – for Disc-Side of the FH
6202 – for Blank-side of FH

skf seems to have everything i need- and for 10 bucks a pop/pretty cheap
6202-2ZNR & 6002-2Z or 6202-rsh/ 6002-rsh
everyone on here seems to go for sealed vs shielded which makes sence in environments with tons of moisture, but the double shielded has better performance and since the bearing is in a hub it's more protected.

Feb 3/2014 Update:
attempt to re-drill this hub with a 2.4mm hole was a fail
after drilling the new hole- i poked a spoke through it and it could not bend
the 3mm hole gives enough wiggle room to poke the spoke through-

13g require 2.5mm spokes holes- i will try to drill 2.5mm and see if i can get the spoke to bend

but i think i will just use spoke washers
dt swiss makes brass washers in 2.2mm & 2.5mm
sapim also has washers for 13g spokes with 2.55mm ID

feb15
the 3/32 hole - 2.3mm seems good enough for 14g spokes- i could get the 14g spokes to bend but not the 13g so my guess is if i make the hole 2.5mm the 13g spokes should bend as well

Back