Re: London And England Rioting

Where will the local workers find jobs when local businesses are burned out and do not return? I understand the frustration of feeling your legitimate social concerns are not being discussed, but I've seen this before with my own eyes (in Compton 1964, and Los Angeles 1992), and it doesn't make things better. There will be no improvement in jobs, crime, or education.

Downtown Baghdad is safer than sections of Detroit...and also (ahem...*cough*)...Washington DC.

http://imgur.com/gallery/0VFZB

Talking with friends about the rioting, someone mentioned that one of the brighter notes is local people using Twitter to get together and help clear up the mess afterwards.

The police seem to be taking a softly, softly approach, trying to avoid further provocation or excuse for further rioting. It crossed my mind that social networking media could also be used by decent people to gather and face down these thugs en masse. I'm not sure how effective or likely that would be, but I'd be interested in others' thoughts?

Malcolm said:
It crossed my mind that social networking media could also be used by decent people to gather and face down these thugs en masse.
I think this has started to happen already. I remember seeing a report about a group of 100 that had gathered to protect their area.

Modern communications .. ( Radio, TV, mobile phones, Internet, etc ) ..are a wonderful thing and have advanced society enormously.
Unfortunately they also enable the rapid coordination of gang activity and copy cat actions across wide areas such as seen in the UK.
Its difficult to limit the mobile and internet effect, but mainstream media ..(TV etc) need to understand their impact on "receptive minds" when they advertise these activities live to a wide audience. I tends to incite the copy cat actions of other idle minds.
If i were in charge,.. there would be media blackouts, martial law, and live ammunition. !! :evil:

liveforphysics said:
....Every corrupt cop should be dragged into the street, splashed with gasoline and burned alive while their family watches. That makes a deterrent to corruption that works.
I will go for that ....providing we can do the same with all these dik heads who think its fun to loot and burn down other peoples property.

..You know it is really wrong, but there is the shaved monkey in you that comes out. That's my view anyway, I would just love to see a news story or current affairs analysis that had the interviewer ask some deep probing question of the Sociology professor, who responds with "Well, we believe that the major stimulus to this rioting, is that throwing empty bottles of bourbon at the police is lots of fun"

..and that is the fine line between a progressive civilised society and a regressive Mad Max society.
Pick one ! :roll:

Concider veiwing your news at rt.com . We find it a much less biased perspective. Keiser Report also good.

..You know it is really wrong, but there is the shaved monkey in you that comes out. That's my view anyway, I would just love to see a news story or current affairs analysis that had the interviewer ask some deep probing question of the Sociology professor, who responds with "Well, we believe that the major stimulus to this rioting, is that throwing empty bottles of bourbon at the police is lots of fun"

..and that is the fine line between a progressive civilised society and a regressive Mad Max society.
Pick one !

I think you missed my point, I wasn't saying that I think it is ok to riot and be destructive. I was making the point that it is fun to do- its also fun to steal stuff, that doesn't make it good or something I approve of. The point i was making is that people wring their hands, and wonder "What have we done wrong here? Why are these people rioting? What is the root cause?", and that annoys me, because the root cause is pretty simple.... it's fun to do it. That is all I was saying, can we not sit around having arguments about how this rioting is really our own fault because of social disadvantage bla bla bla. The two riots I mentioned that I had been in were amongst upper middle class spoilt turds (both cases). In both cases the riots occured when there was a) a large group of people in an excited state, who b) suddenly had the 100th monkey realisation that there was more of them than cops, and they could do what they want.

Do you think the halfwits who went nuts at the WTO rallies really gave two craps about third world debt? They smashed the windows because..... Smashing windows is fun.

I was just saying we are all shaved monkeys, and the minute we realise the Zoo keepers are outnumbered we love taking advantage of it. That is all.

Philistine said:
....I was just saying we are all shaved monkeys, and the minute we realise the Zoo keepers are outnumbered we love taking advantage of it. That is all.

I understood your point. Its just like hooning around at 200km/hr ..its a rush, adrenaline boost, etc
..BUT being civilised is understanding the implications and consequences , and NOT letting the monkey take control.
A "civilised man" knows that it would be fun, a rush, and even though he may well be able to "get away" with it....he controls his actions to what is socially acceptable.
Its something most people learn with age and increased social awareness.
Thats why most of the people involved are youths ..
So, yes its a natural instinct, (pack mentality)... but i suspect the root cause is poor parenting, lack of good role models , slack discipline, etc, that in most people shape the mind to control those instincts.

Bring back conscription !

There was very little trouble in London last night, though several other English cities were affected.

When people feel they have a genuine grievance against government it usually manifests itself as violence towards those representing authority. However, from what I've seen of previous nights activity the "rioters" had very little contact with the police, their sole intent was theft and destruction of property; these aren't the "deprived and disenfranchised" the social commentators bleat about, they're criminal scum who deserve nothing but contempt.

Miles said:
Malcolm said:
It crossed my mind that social networking media could also be used by decent people to gather and face down these thugs en masse.
I think this has started to happen already. I remember seeing a report about a group of 100 that had gathered to protect their area.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-14471405

the root cause is poor parenting, lack of good role models , slack discipline, etc, that in most people shape the mind to control those instincts.

The only reason I am even responding to your point, is that I still feel you have missed the point I felt was novel enough to convey. Maybe if I can rephrase my point in another context. You often hear a catch cry that says "Rape's not about sex, rape is about power!". When I hear that, my mind boggles at the illogical stupidity of what the person has just said. That makes as much sense to me as saying "Easter eggs are not popular because they are made of chocolate, they are popular because they are sweet and delicious!". What is sex if its not an expression of power? As PJ Orourke once put it, "People often call Republicans Nazis, I am OK with that, because when was the last time people had a sexual fantasy about being tied up and whipped by a liberal?" (without being wanky, his comedic point arguably turns on the confronting insight, that sex is inherently an analogue of the Hegelian master/slave dialectic - ie, liberals are about formal equality, Republicans are about individuality).

Bringing it back to rioting, people sit and say "these people are not rioting because they are filthy criminals, they are just frustrated at years of oppression and social disadvantage, and mistreatment by the police", which reminds me of the Young Ones quote, where they flash to the First Fleet of convicts coming out to Australia (and I know I am getting the quote wrong here, but it is along these lines): "Tis for nothing but my social class, and the circumstances in which I was born that I am on this ship today..." *Beat* other guy chimes in "...And for all them murders you done".....

Me and you are in agreement that rioting is a result of a lack of impulse control (you think it impulse control is environmentally learnt, personally I couldn't disagree with you more strongly, I think it is almost all genetic and biological - but that is another whole thread). I was just trying to make the point that as far as "crimes" go, rioting requires very little lack of impulse control to engage in (its fun to most people) - whereas I would argue - for example - rape shows quite a serious lack of impulse control (I don't know many people who think that is fun - I certainly don't - but I do know some).

And for the record, the only reason I continued with my dialogue with you, was because you inserted the "Eye Rolling" emoticon on your first response to me. I consider that the most offensive thing to post about a person (ie, my comment is so f(cking stupid, that you must roll your eyes at me). If you rolled your eyes at me in a pub, before your eyes finished rolling, I would punch your nose into the back of your skull. But that is because I have a substance abuse problem, because I lack impulse control.....

Miles said:
Miles said:
Malcolm said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-14471405

That's a real sickener.

I was thinking more of a mass gatherings in thousands, rather than smaller groups protecting individual properties. I think that's the only way it would be effective. Obviously it would be difficult to bring a large number of people together at once, and prevent infiltration by more troublemakers. The only other option seems to be for the police to go in mob-handed, which it looks like they're preparing to do now.

If they only attacked police stations and government buildings, then they might be able to claim they were rioting because of the corruption of police, otherwise it's just complete bullshit.

Good thing all the kids in America are obese and lazy, keeps them from going out and doing this crap. :lol:

Philistine said:
You often hear a catch cry that says "Rape's not about sex, rape is about power!". When I hear that, my mind boggles at the illogical stupidity of what the person has just said. That makes as much sense to me as saying "Easter eggs are not popular because they are made of chocolate, they are popular because they are sweet and delicious!".

While not fully true it is mostly true that power is the underlying factor for at least two of the four four categories of rape. Anger and rage are forms of impotence and power-based rape doesn't need explanation. I would argue that sadism is another form of impotence but there is a dearth of freely available research into this mainly because it is no longer classified as a disorder for political reasons.

As for the cause of the rioting, that is a highly complex problem and the solution is even harder to deal with due in part to the nature of politics. France has got the exact same problems as the UK so its not unique either.

I will remember the eye rolling emoticon for future reference. :mrgreen:

Philistine said:
... I was just trying to make the point that as far as "crimes" go, rioting requires very little lack of impulse control to engage in (its fun to most people) - whereas I would argue - for example - rape shows quite a serious lack of impulse control (I don't know many people who think that is fun - I certainly don't - but I do know some)......

I suspect the difference in impulse control for rioting vs rape is that rioting is a "group" activity so the "pack" mentality effect comes into play ( safety in numbers) and the reduced chance of being recognised.
Rape is mostly an individual act hence demanding more individual decisions and the knowing there is a witness able to identify you.
I am sure rape victims dont enjoy the experience , but many of the rape perp's often seem to claim it was just a bit of fun.

It will be interesting to see if there are any instances of rape associated with these UK riots.

Back