Recommend bike to bike communication method

MikeSSS

1 kW
Back in the day our riding group used FRS radios with VOX earpiece/boom mike. The radios and VOX stuff was Motorola and it worked pretty well.

Today my wife and I are riding and need to be able to talk to each other. We have Motorola newer generation FRS radios but no VOX earpiece/boom mike gizmos. Two earpiece/boom mikes would cost about $30. The FRS radios are sort of heavy and bulky and besides that it means carrying another thing. Foam around the boom mike can prevent some wind triggering.

I'm thinking that cell phones might be an option, but that means having the call going for an hour or two, around here calls get dropped sometimes, and that means trying to make a call while riding or having to stop to make it. My phone is an iPhone 6, hers is a 6S, these can use plug ins like Bose noise canceling headsets and can also do Bluetooth.

My phone connects via my hearing aids, the mike is in the phone but the phone can be in the shirt pocket so it would work. My wife could use something like Airpods, but they would have to be affordable and actual Airpods are not and would need foam for wind noise. Another option would be for her to use ear buds that plug into the phone and have the phone and its mike in her shirt pocket. We probably have plug in ear buds.

Anyway, what do you use and or recommend?

Thanks,

Mike S

PS: Strava works very well for keeping track of my riding, 274 miles this year so far.

The answer seems to be:

1 Get VOX earpiece/boom mikes for the existing Motorola FRS radios.

2 Get earbuds, probably have them somewhere, for wife's iPhone and use my iPhone with my hearing aids. Microphone is in iPhones, carry them in shirt pockets. Just use our unlimited talk plan. Tried this today, using wife's Bose noise canceling headset on her end and hearing aids on my end, it worked.

3 Bluetooth to Bluetooth intercom, price is reasonable to too damned much. Depends on what and where you buy.

Pizza with honor.

MikeSSS said:
The answer seems to be:

1 Get VOX earpiece/boom mikes for the existing Motorola FRS radios.

2 Get earbuds, probably have them somewhere, for wife's iPhone and use my iPhone with my hearing aids. Microphone is in iPhones, carry them in shirt pockets. Just use our unlimited talk plan. Tried this today, using wife's Bose noise canceling headset on her end and hearing aids on my end, it worked.

3 Bluetooth to Bluetooth intercom, price is reasonable to too damned much. Depends on what and where you buy.

Pizza with honor.

There's also a earpiece UHF option, similar to your FRS, but smaller. Not sure how the performance would compare.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8H9G8P/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07R8H9G8P&pd_rd_w=U9ld3&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=c90Br&pf_rd_r=FEG9P3NP5JMAZA1EY65X&pd_rd_r=26f9d9f2-868f-4014-a160-8762366acccf&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFEUThaUE1SV0YzQTEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3MDM2MzMzSU1XTVRaVEVTN0U4JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MTcxODYxU0k3OUVEMDRDSklUJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

"There's also a earpiece UHF option, similar to your FRS, but smaller. Not sure how the performance would compare.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8H9G8P/re ... s9dHJ1ZQ== "

Didn't know these existed, they are very interesting. Thanks for mentioning them.

MikeSSS,

What do the Motorcyclist's use ?

What they use is most likely your best option .

I do not know myself what they use , so you will have to go down to your local Motorcycle shops and do the research .

https://appadvice.com/app/apport/1140306404

Link from other thread is interesting.

I think there is a walkie-talkie app for phones that uses WiFi. I haven’t tried it but might be something to look into.

fechter said:
I think there is a walkie-talkie app for phones that uses WiFi. I haven’t tried it but might be something to look into.

What about using bluetooth?

I tried to find Aaport for android
Looks like it may be iPhone only.

Ok. Looks like a lot of voxxer type apps but the reviews are terrible. I think a fsr and headset might be easy and cheap.

Back