Recommend me a controller

HrKlev

1 kW
Guys, I could need some recommendations for a controller. It is about a vehicle that is already converted, and it is almost doing what it should do.... Here's the short version:
Old Polaris 6x6 converted with a QS 138 3kW mid motor. I have kept the original driveline and gearbox, so in the "Low" gear, it has a max speed of 20kmh at 4300rpm. BMS is capable of 400A, battery 600A. Quite often I find myself out in the terrain, and/or pulling heavy things. In the Low gear, it has enough power to spin all 6 tires. I have never had any overheating problems, the low gearing lets the motor spin at a efficient range and acceptable load.

Now, to the issue I have. I had to fight the Votol controller to even be able to function OK. With the PC software where all the parameters suddenly did not do what the chinglish manual said after a FW update, etc. I finally got it running OK, but it is losing sync above 4300rpm now, so I have to limit its rpm (I have another vehicle with same motor/controller setup, but older FW, which spins 6000rpm++ easily, and was no problem to set up). I am no longer able to connect to it, and frankly I am so tired of the guesswork of this controller.... The biggest issue I am having is it seems like it is lacking a bit of power from 0rpm. It is a bit problematic when hauling heavy stuff and/or in difficult terrain. Once the vehicle is moving ever so slightly, it has more than enough grunt to pull itself out of pretty much anything I throw at it.

So, I think I am looking at a new controller. If I can get it to spin 6000rpm, I can gear it down, or maybe it is just the controller that is not delivering enough punch at 0rpm.
How much phase amps can the QS 138 3kw motor handle in this situation?
I was looking at the new Fardriver/Siaecosys 72180, which has a low price and 660A phase amps, but I am a little hesistant at the programming. The old/new Votol was both hit and miss, so I consider a controller from the same company 50% success rate. The interface seems a bit better than the Votol, and also with bluetooth, but I dont know... Is there something else I should look at? How much phase amps is too much for this motor?

Siaecosys is afaict a sales / marketing / distribution umbrella for lots and lots of factories

rather than a single design / manufacturing company

The controller should have at least 500 phase amps to utilise the max torque just going by the numbers. I’ve used this motor at 600A phase setting and never gotten it hot so i guess 800 would be about right to get some margin, and less controller heating - i would go bigger than the 72180.
I would also go for a fardriver controller, it’s a different company designing and making these, no connection to Votol. It’s a bit of a risk to take the plunge as not so many have tried them yet though.

Back