• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Recumbent Trike Mxus 6T reaching 30mph

Simonvtr

100 W
Hi I am new to this forum and would like to apologized if i am posting this in the wrong place.
I've looked over my build for a week now and I am unable to determine what is the issue with my setup burning thru fuses while testing with no load on the trike just the weight of the trike and battery.
Its a custom warrior trike plans from AtomicZombie with some modification to the rear axle.
The motor I order from monsterscooterparts.com

2fa7cad778.jpg

I converted from chain to belt drive with electricscooterparts.com 95 Tooth Drive Belt Cog for 5M-15 Belts attached to a 20" rear rim with tires its 23".
The motor has a 15 teeth pulley on it that I had order from ebay.
The belt is also from electricscooterparts Belt Size: 1100-5M-15 (1100-5M/15).

With this setup my 40 amp fuse will just pop when I touch the throttle.
Is it due to my pulley ratio?
I ran it thru some online site

Belt Length 43"
Ratio 1 : 5.56
RPM Small 2400 Large 432
Belt (Surface) Speed 706.9 ft / min
Pulley Gap 11~25/32"

4e6ef41cd3.jpg

16183bc059.jpg

So wanting to test it i ran it without the fuse and controller burned up.
with the monster controller i had 6S x4 lipo 24volt 5000mah 20c in parallel giving me 24v 20ah.

Thinking it was a controller issue I went and bought this controller from electricscooterparts.com

7bb7543a47.png

with it setup for 24v I am still popping fuse
even with it setup for 48v and this testing is done with no load on the trike just the weight of the trike and battery pack.
Also does anyone know anything about SPD-60100a controller?
It has a weird clogging sound but stops when you have the throttle wide open.
Also with this controller the motor is getting hot. But not with the 24volt controller I had from monster that came with the kit.

Thank you
Simon

It would help to get a wattmeter to find out what the amp draw is . What size wheel do you have? 400 RPM is not that fast, but if that is a 26" wheel that could be the reason for popping fuses. Amp draw could be too high on startup.

A larger rear pulley also might help but I'll bet they cost a lot.
Finally lower amps could be made using 48 volts instead of 24. That 24 volts is kind of low for most ebikes and trikes. It makes the amp requirement quite high for the motor..
otherDoc

I did have a watt meter installed and saw numbers between 30-60 amp but the watt meter was way off after I did the remote shunt mod.
So only used it as a battery meter. After the remote shunt mod it was showing 60-90 amp and would idle around 10-13 amp with no load. My watt meter did not come with the pots to calibrate it.

The rear wheel is 20" rim so 23" with tire.

After increasing the volt from 24 to 48 volts I notice a huge increase in torque and speed. after a few laps around the block my remote stunt caught on fire. When I took it apart the copper piece that made up the shunt was all black and melted. So I took out the watt meter and installed one of those alarm you plug into the balance lead to warn of low voltage. A few more laps and I notice my 10g wires from battery to controller getting hot. I use all deans plug in my setup. Then I heard a pop and a pissssss and the controller died.

I figured all the money I spent on trying to make it a cheap build would have added up to a decent price hub motor.
So I have order myself a Mxus 6T hub motor from kinaye-motorsport with a 12fet xie chang controller. Motor will be lace on a 17" moped rim and I also got a cycle analyst to monitor all that power.

While I wait for the motor to be laced I have stripped the trike and started sanding it for powered coating.

585777ad52.jpg

I will keep this post updated when I get the new hub motor in and start to run some test. I just hope we don't get any snow before that happens.

Thank you for your help
Simon

Trikes love snow! Look at DrBass pictures of his trike in winter.
otherDoc

I'm about 100 kilos and the trike with motor and batteries is about 40 kilos. I'm using a small motor (Cute 100H) in a 20" wheel with 48 volts (Multisport lipos). The trike works fine on level ground but bogs down on 5% hill. I can pedal strongly to help get it up those hills though. It could use a bit more power, like the motor you are talking about. My top speed is about 20mph.
otherDoc

Hi Simonvtr -

Nice trike build! I think you will be much happier with the hub motor. Most e-bike systems are designed to have the rider pedal a bit to get the bike rolling before cranking up the motor. Since you don't have that option the hub motors will start the bike from a dead stop much better than the belt drive solution did. If you had added a secondary step down on the belt drive system it may have survived but you probably still wouldn't have been happy with it. After you get the hub drive system running just be sure to start slow and don't go full throttle until you get up to 5 or 10 MPH and you should be fine.

Warren

I hope I can hit maybe around 30mph.
The setup I had before was doing 25 on flat ground and when you are 7" off the ground it feels soo much faster.
So I'll be happy if I can sustain 30mph and tackle some of the hills around my area.

Thank you very much for the tip about starting slow.

Frame got dropped off today to get powder coated.
So in a few days I will have pictures to update.

Barent said it will take 3-4 weeks to get the motor laced.

Simon

Painted a few things while waiting for frame to be powder coated.

foot rest
c005798249.jpg

Handlebar
4204130afd.jpg

Weld a nut to a washer then placed the washer inside the handlebar tube and weld it so I can screw on my mirrors.
c9f9c33b24.jpg

Made my seat from some wood panels and covered it with sleeping/camping foam pads.
81cac7ced6.jpg

326aaecc4a.jpg

Wrapped the foam with a laundry bag (green) that I had laying around.
b3890aa5b5.jpg

Ordered some ABS plastic sheets to make spoke guards.
Will post pictures once I start on them.

Simon

Nice build!
Should be real nice with that upcoming MXUS 6T.

Had to smile when I saw the picture of your daughter in your wheelchair as memory came back of my own daughter at that age always "borrowing" my wheelchair when I wasn't in it. Even now at the age of 13 she often rides around in my wheelchair in the house when I'm on the couch. A little annoying when I need to go to the toilet and she took the chair to the kitchen stood up to take something out of a cupboard and has walked away forgetting to take the chair back to me... :shock:

But you have to love them as they are cute (most of the times...)

Just got a reply back from Kinaye Motor and the guy wont be back till end of next week and on top of that I'm 2nd on his priority list.
:cry: Looking to test run the trike maybe by Christmas from the look of it.
Kinda wish I knew about the guy who does the lacing being on a 4 week vacation before I placed the order. Would have gone a different route if I knew before hand. Waiting this long making me rethink what I want out of this build.

My daughter is all daddy everything daddy daddy daddy.
Daddy mommy wont let me, Daddy mommy wont buy this for me...
But when I am away from her for a day I really missed those words.
She gets on it whenever I'm not looking. :)

Thank you for your kind words.
I feel like my build is a 5yr kid trying to make a replica of the golden gate bridge with popsicle stick.
Maybe it will come together once I get all the parts in.

Simon

A 6t muxus is heavy I have a 5t and will climb almost anything. A 6t is interesting and may need a throttle tamer for all the low speed torque at lowest speed. Curious of the speed with monster torque.
Slow ride nice setup.

What Speed do you get on your setup 999zip999?
Tire size?
And what voltage do you run at?
Do you have a video of your setup?

You think I'll have that much torque?
After watching this video I can not determine the torque value.
I hear them saying OMG but that doesn't mean much to me. I was saying OMG with my 900 watt scooter motor going 25mph :D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgaBVrD7lPw

He has it on a bicycle and my trike is made of steel square tubing so I thought I would need the torque to push a heavier object.
Would I be able to setup my throttle thru the CAv3?
I have a 3 wire throttle.
Do you think I would need a throttle tamer from Zombiess?

Thanks
Simon

New update nothing major.

Still waiting on the frame to be powder coated.
And still waiting on the motor :(

I've always loved the look of spoke guards.
Loved them on my wheelchair when I used to play pro wheelchair basketball.

So instead of spending 50$ each I got some 1/16 sheet of abs plastic and made my own wheel guard.

First the jig.
The original dermal hole cutter was to short so I made one.
8303eab5bc.jpg

219cda0bc3.jpg

Ran the dermal at 20k rpm and cut the sheets.
3d5410f89e.jpg

Did not have any abs glue but I tested using pvc pipe glue and it worked.
1ebb4e42ca.jpg

Drilled holes to mount using zip ties.
482ca7d1e0.jpg

Here its mounted on my 20" rim with 3m reflective tape covering the area where I had to join them to make the cone.
6a2a9d1fd3.jpg

Interesting. Looking forward to seeing how the cranks attach.

Would be interesting to run a triangluated link from the rear of the swingarm up to the seat top.

Samd said:
Interesting. Looking forward to seeing how the cranks attach.

Would be interesting to run a triangluated link from the rear of the swingarm up to the seat top.

Hi Samd

There won't be any crank due to my disability.
You can see my daughter setting on my wheelchair earlier in the post.
I would love to build me a arm pedal trike one day.

Something like this
fa279a3aae.jpg

I see you paid 900usd not itemized ?
My 5t does 38mph 80v 40amp 3200watt ina 26 in. Fast as I should have at my disposal. W.O.T. Can't help it.

Back