• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Regen on 72v 40a xlyte controller ???

I was under the impresion that the crystalyte brush less controllers did not have regen but according to cycle analyst there is a little

I have decided to do a daily log for a while to see variations with weather conditions and how much I pedal etc also I had an issue with a charger not fully charging my battery (or so I believe) so I have a second one sent to me from my dealer to test

Now that I have a Cycle Analyst I can get all the data needed for these tests and more

I dont know if it would be any benefit to have a section dedicated only to graphs like this where we can post data (for those with a CA or watts up etc)-just a thought

How can I get this graph to display on the page without a download link?? E-bike log.xls

Attachments

• E-bike log.xls
    34.5 KB · Views: 134
numberonekiwi said:
I was under the impresion that the crystalyte brush less controllers did not have regen but according to cycle analyst there is a little

My understanding: unless coasting downhill at a speed higher than the motor's no-load speed, the regen voltage is lower than the battery voltage, and so no current flows back into the battery (without extra regen circuitry).

With the main power relay on my battery turned off, while the non-regen brushless crystalyte controller remains on, if I pedal hard my voltmeter reads about 10-15 volts, and the analog ammeter reads a slight negative current.

I looked at your log entry. The regen AH's I don't think are making it back into your battery.

xyster said:
numberonekiwi said:

My understanding: unless coasting downhill at a speed higher than the motor's no-load speed, the regen voltage is lower than the battery voltage, and so no current flows back into the battery (without extra regen circuitry).

Would agree with xyster on matter of re-gen.

For your log, it shows that Max Speed of 42.1 (km/h ?) is higher than the no-load speed.
Quess that your no-load speed is about 38-40 km/h; and your speed on flat 32-34 km/h.
At speed of 42.1 km/h, there is an charging current of 6.39A.
The charging Ah is very small (0.0231 Ah) which is about 5% of 4.639 Ah used for the trip. Not much help in your case.

I was trying to do a lower speed regen circuit after finding out that power is always going back out of the controller but is most of the time lower than your battery's voltage. Check out my lame high loss circuit:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1676&highlight=regen

My tidalforce Io's have regen, and early on I spent some time trying to see how much current I could get to show up on the CycleAnalyst. I was suprised how little current I generated with a significant amount of effort. My personal conclusion is that regen just ain't worth it - I'd rather have a freely spinning wheel than regen (as on the Puma), I think I waste more watts overcoming motor drag than I could ever see in regen.

-JD

oatnet said:
...My personal conclusion is that regen just ain't worth it - I'd rather have a freely spinning wheel than regen (as on the Puma), I think I waste more watts overcoming motor drag than I could ever see in regen.

-JD

I agree. I tried regen on my scooter. I think regenerative braking makes more sense for large vehicles possessing much greater kinetic energy to recapture in typical stop-and-go driving.

Ypedal said:
to save on braking system of heavy weight vehicles.... but on an Ebike... not worth it imo.

I have regen on the Bionx system, & an indicator showing the amount of current flowing into the battery, via a clever bar graph. When you accelerate, and sucking energy, the bars illuminate from the right to left. With regen, the opposite side starts "filling-up" (the bars AND batteries :D ), very intuitive.

However, I agree with the majority that it's just not worth it :( .
The gentle slowing down effect on command, is a nice feature, but the extra hardware on the brake lever :x is a magnet glued to the stationary brake lever frame, and a wired coil, or pin of some sort that is attached to the moving lever, wiggles every pull of the brake lever, and missalignment can occur easily, and locks the wheel-up in permanent regen mode :shock: Not a dependable settup, especially when your bike mechanic doesn't install it properly to begin-with :x . But that's another story, he also forgot to tighten my BRAKE pads.

how about using the crappy crystalyte ebrake enabled brakes - well only one for the back brake that triggers the regen?

I am now running 72 volts and the only time I see neg amps is around 60 km/h or above and is is so small like -0.09 but not enough to register in the -A/H reading

Back