Reid's Stealth Cruiser: Float your eBOAT? Ideas, anyone? p22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except i don't think anyone makes a Titanium bicycle chain... So, I guess you could leave it in a saltwater bath for 50 years, then pull it out, replace the chain, and be set to ride :)

Nope, there is full titanium bike chain. $700usd. Ouch. That would complete the fully water proof bike though.

there is a Anti rust chain from KMC, i will recommend the one http://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln=en&fn=bu_bicycle

Kmc chain. strength pull awesome tough is 1200kg !! so if i am going to get a new chain. My cyclone kit pull the crank is really strong i wonder how how much stress it can take it ? if getting the BMX chain is even more 1500kg. but it cannot use for 3 piece of crank kit. the price for that is affortable. USD10~ or alittle more. But i don't know the actual result if is really put into salt water. Salt thing will rust or corrode the aluminum parts in a very slowly, in time to come. it will break and crack.

kentlim

LUKE (LFP),

I raise this thread again, but not to report progress! I owe thanks to you thinkers.
Was there ever a Luke more circumspect and deep-thinking :p , than you? I
mean both in the biblical name feature of "Luke" and also in your Aqua-Man ingenuity.
You live for physics, indeed!

SPECIAL THANKS:
kentlim26 said:
there is a Anti rust chain from KMC, i will recommend the one http://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln=en&fn=bu_bicycle

Kmc chain. strength pull awesome tough is 1200kg !! so if i am going to get a new chain. My cyclone kit pull the crank is really strong i wonder how how much stress it can take it ? if getting the BMX chain is even more 1500kg. but it cannot use for 3 piece of crank kit. the price for that is affordable. USD10~ or a little more. But i don't know the actual result if is really put into salt water. Salt thing will rust or corrode the aluminum parts in a very slowly, in time to come. it will break and crack.

kentlim
Dear kentlim! To have your wisdom adding-in here, from all the way from distant, wonderful Singapore!
Thank you! We / I want MORE AND MORE people from the Far East to be on this forum. Your English is perfect, too, a lucky plus!.

I have read the KMC website. I have basic KMC black oxide =narrow= chain on the bike at present. Narrow (derailleur) chain fits single speed bike's cogs very well. KMC is probably the world's most progressive chain maker. ALL those types of chain, and some are very tasty looking, too! The KMC I'm using (I forget the model number, but it's just practically generic derailleur chain), would, indeed, rust. But, it's cheap, and I keep my bike washed and clean and instantly lube a chain after washing.

But what if I decide to go for the salt water rides (I dream aloud)? WHAT IF I elect to make this ebike an instant eboat (the pontoon additions). Well, for centuries, boats have done well with salt if they are maintained. Here I can elect to use KMC's rust resistant chain, OR... just wash, hose down, the bike after every sea water exposure (if I ever do that---it's hypothetical, this amphibike idea, at this time) Wash, flush, re-grease the bearings, and treat the chain.
I'd be replacing chain at intervals, anyway, even though I don't ride so very much.
Chain "stretch" occurs, always, and there's no point in hoping for or wanting a five thousand kilometer-life chain,
chain being so cheap and easy to replace at first sign of wear of the rollers on their pins.
ALSO, now, what about the salt, say, if this were a salted bike every other day, or that some salt remains? Good question!
I will let Mickey Mouse respond in answer, with perhaps the most perfect and original Spoonerism-with-pun,
complex, simple, just invented by this silly wordsmith :

Mickey: "Heh, you askin' me, Boss? WELL, everyone knows that walt soshes out in fresh water!"

~~~~

The Lord's Prayer, Marineland Style: Let us Float?
it is a beautiful, pro-quality video by the amazing Chuck Derer:
[youtube]wAm4MXt6chc[/youtube]
More of his work: SEE the 1911 steam tractor WORK

Steambike again, anybody? It was done before, you know?

Now, this bike will not look like a car nor like a boat.
Think: a pair of outboard-mounted pontoons that quickly zip tie or clamp to the frame, wide-spaced pontoons, perhaps?
DROP ON the pontoons, go boating (at a very slow walking speed, like Jesus on Drugs :twisted: ), then out of the water, salt or fresh,
and to home again. What a great stunt-idea, even more exciting than merely plowing through a flooded street.

Meanwhile, the yellow sub DO(o)M bike sets...whilst I play with Trek LIME (see the LIME thread).
~~
Very best thoughts and thanks to all who follow this thread, and give me such good ideas.
Look at what Chuck (the maker of the car-boat story above), look at what he does in 1911, too? Remarkable man!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOriginalWheelsTV
~~~
Think now, please, how best to pontoon-float the bike?
Think slowly. Act surely. That's my motto.

Your friend, with hope, always, that the batteries in our radio don't die.

Attachments

• Gilligan02.JPG
    Gilligan02.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 4,530
"Please to leave my house NOW!", says the ancient woman, in about 1905, to Georgie, that insufferable, young, rich, prevaricating snob,
whom she, the old lady, has just "found out" as being a fraud and pure evil.

"Please to leave my house NOW!", said with honest, righteous anger, in one of the finest movies ever made,
http://www.moviediva.com/MD_root/reviewpages/MDMagnificentAmbersons.htm
and they don't even mention this near-highlight of the whole film.

PLEASE TO LEAVE, NOW!

Ok. Logging off. E-dreams will have to wait.

r

as much as I love e-bikes, boats are still my first love. combining the two, well, you got me hook line & sinker.

I think that one very easy & reliable way to do this would be using frames from those indoor bike trainers:

Blackburnfluid.jpg

Mount pontoons on the bottom, or on the sides (that way you could roll your bike right into the trainer frame, screw the axle-holding mechanism shut, and roll right into the water - the lower center of gravity would also be useful in such a top-heavy device as a floating ebike). A second advantage is that you could leave the "Roller" on the frame but remove the fluid resistance mechanism and run a paddle wheel off the shaft from the roller.

You could either use 1 frame each for the front & rear wheels, or just use 1 on the rear with a riser block or some other suitable depression for your front wheel, just like training inside. I think this e-bike pontoon boat may prove simpler than it initially appears.

I wish I had the time to outline the picture I have in my head of this project, but I'm sure whatever you come up with will be better than what I could imagine anyway :D

On the chain rust issue, a few threads up theres a belt drive.. I'm sure it'd run less than a Ti chain. Myself, I'd go with a dozen $5 chains and just replace as needed.

The poor bike project has been on "hold" for some months now,
ever since I did a bone-headed header at twenty mph (see thread, semi-related at:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10295

That set me back, health and morale-wise, a bit!

BUT, now, "me so happy", because one of the bike's docu-videos is now honoured by the YT folks
as a "featured video" (big whoop; nice of them. why'd they do that? :roll: )

The YT folks provided the music, free!
[youtube]NeKgmCdiEbQ[/youtube]
The Submarine Bike WILL be finished...but I am in LIME mode for now.

You'll see more... someday, some FUN video and pictures,

body and... glub-glub, bike, willing!

:wink:

"the reid" is a little devil.
"the reid" is a "figure-it-outer".

Have just realized that YT assigns "Featured Video" status on a points/view-count ratio system.

SO, what that means is, a little viddy like this, with six or so five star ratings, though it has only gotten about 1k views,
CAN COMPETE and be on the top of the featured page, along with those 32 million view, 666 five-stared videos!

"LEAVE BRITTANY ALONE NOWWWWww"

(this video can possibly get "way up there" and make funny waves of water)

Need help from my Puckish friends here.
GLORY for Endless Sphere! Not me, oh no!

Give it twenty, thirty, forty, five stars.

As our friend, Subfightr says, "Love your Chan".

Well, I am JACKIE CHAN today.
I'm in comedy mode.
MAKE your BLING go BLAM!

RATE the video above today?
I will thank you all by mailing out free PING PACKS to all raters/gators. :twisted:
(not really, I lie: your gift will be an empty hardpack of KOOL cigarettes)

So, please to rate* the PING video often as you can. It's good for our dear friend LI PING,

seeeeee?

Have a very good day in... Canberra or Kankakee or BEIJING, or wherever you are,
you CHAN-ish people! :lol: :lol: :lol:

*I like that quaint, old lady polite-ism, that I first heard in Welles' "The magnificent ambersons" of 1940.
She,the old lady is bellowing, incensed, to eject hapless, amoral, found-out young Georgie from her abode.
She SHOUTS so loudly..."Please....PLEASE TO LEAVE MY HOUSE, NOWwwwww!" And poor, stupid, Georgie,
his cupidity found-out, can say nothing in reply, but only backs out, hat in hand, BEATEN flat by an eighty year old lady! ha ha!

PLEASE TO RATE MY VIDEO NOWwwwwwwww?

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Reid Welch said:
The poor bike project has been on "hold" for some months now,
. . .
The Submarine Bike WILL be finished...but I am in LIME mode for now. . . .
YAY!

I swear Reid, when I get broadband it won't be for the grrlz gone wild stuff but primarily to view your pool plunge.
IMO, the Internet is television for people who would rather be reading.
I dream in text.

Yay for you, Zoot, and Kim.

I am a procrastinator, supreme!

I lay here in this Lafuma 20 of the 24,
and write bad things and time-wasting things,

and I have your email addy, and WILL get that DB in the mail to you
THIS WEEK. I have SPOKEN: the great and powerful Whizzer of Odds! and Ends!

Bevare! Bevare! :lol: :lol: :lol: Both of you, Beeee-vare!

[youtube]L7Dw60SVXQ4[/youtube]
BE CAREFUL, KiM-Ed-Wood-ZOOT!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

----
PS: it's a medium sized YELLOW dragon, and a very small, blue brain,
so that KiM need not drain his own, limited grey matter, in ex-success. :twisted:

Reid Welch said:
and I have your email addy, and WILL get that DB in the mail to you
THIS WEEK. I have SPOKEN: the great and powerful Whizzer of Odds! and Ends!

EXCELLENT Reidy you is a champ son! Don't want to get too much off topic in your
thread but i have started a new worklog if you haven't already seenz it Reid? twill
be the new home of your Drain Brain!!

KiM

EDIT: :: sitz back and patiently waits for "okanui Reid" to take the plunge ;-P

Okanui_Reid_bike_shark.jpg

Reid

How is the Ezee doing in oil?

Still good?

If so, I'm going to do the same to my MAC Shanghai with one steel planet.

It's really not good running steel gears dry.....at 4x the rated power...

Is the Tri Flow Teflon Oil your final recommendation?

Mark_A_W said:
Reid

How is the Ezee doing in oil?

I don't think the e-bike has ever gone after the first minor prang Reid had, last word was he wasn't riding any bikes anymore...
OH and pretty sure hes also banned from ES

KiM

Crap

Thanks Kim.

Wow, wow, wow! so much cool information; from SLE, the thud buster n reveresed stem, waterproof e-bike, and the e-geek bright yellow. I love the crank forward adaption. I was looking at the Rans crank forwards bikes for a around town. Hmmm. I will probably just use the recumbent that has been sitting in the garage. Its geeky and gets noticed (hopefully not in the taking kind of way). Anyway, saying hello. Need to go get my ezee kit set up.

Thanks for all the info.

spi :D

OMG, that's a lot of work! It probably took at least twice as long to document the progress and load it up here for us. Thanks Reid. I read the last dozen pages or so and man that's a lot of work! What's the status now? Sorry to hear about your injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back