Reid's Stealth Cruiser: Float your eBOAT? Ideas, anyone? p22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good too hear these joins are waterproofed to, i see the one taped in the pictures above and was
worried only taped haha..The children liked the bike i think, maybe if you have parts
spared you can build a small BMXer type of bike for the children to try, be good way
to get them interested and spread word of electric bicycle you think?

Lucky_Hoodlum said:
Good too hear these joins are waterproofed to, i see the one taped in the pictures above and was
worried only taped haha..The children liked the bike i think, maybe if you have parts
spared you can build a small BMXer type of bike for the children to try, be good way
to get them interested and spread word of electric bicycle you think?
Yes, those are nice kids whose parents are all well-to-do nice people.
That street, Matheson Avenue, is quiet and wealthy, but all the people who live there are very nice folks;
I've known them casually for ten years.
Mrs. Huggett, a widow now, lives at the end of the street.
It was her vacant lot, across the street from her home, that I trespassed the other day in video 31A.
By chance, the next day I saw her driving into her driveway. I had not seen her for ten years or so,
since Bill was living (he had chest pains one day, alone at home, drove to the hospital, where the doctors
dosed him with clot busting drugs, which caused a cerebral hemorrage, and he died due to medical incompetence,
and left behind a beautiful wife, and two fine, young sons, who are now fourteen and fifteen.
I knew them when they were toddlers. Mrs. H invited me inside and we traded telephone numbers.
She likes my bike and she likes that I was friendly with Bill: a social activist attorney who championed for poor people
scalded to death in a Carnival Cruise line's ship's boiler explosion.
"Do you still have Bill's 1930 Model A pickup truck?" (It was his favorite toy).
"Yes, and I drained the gas from the carburetor and put it on blocks; it's here in the garage;
and you used to drive that old Model T...and the boys are bright and interested in mechanics...
could you tutor them to learn to drive and maintain their late father's car?"

Yes, I can and I will. And if any of those boys want a bmx bike motorized: I'll tutor them to get the right parts
and show 'em how to wrench the simple components together, parents permitting, which is likely: if we make their bike
a low speed affair, there can hardly be much worry-objection to the idea,

and so, seeds for the future are planted. Kids are malleable in good ways, and these kids you met in the video
are very nice human beings already: they have no attitudes, no rudenesses, just raised right. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
extremely important correction!!!!: Mrs. Huggett is nor has sued nor resented ANYONE.
The "medical incompetence" charge is purely my own working, saying, thinking and indictment.
I am fuming about doctors in general. Mrs. Hugget is an angel, beautiful, accepting, smart, and insists
to live on, in the same house, raising to intrepid teenaged sons, coninuity, determination, and complete lack of anything like unpleasant resentments. Bill should be alive today, to see his sons, his wife! My words. My oaths. I am sorry that I implied that she may have held resentment. She holds only open arms for a total stranger. She loves and she trusts me.

Reid Welch said:
these kids you met in the video
are very nice human beings already: they have no attitudes, no rudenesses, just raised right. :)

Unfortunately too few kids are like this, when i was their age we would get a clip behind the ears if we did the wrong thing (do this today your kids sue you :-| ) we respected our elders, many kids have little respect for themselves and others in this time. I watched your model 'T' YouTube video also, Henry Ford offered this car in any colour you choose as long as its black haha.. will be like times when you were young working on the widows late husbands car i think while learning her sons mechanics also. Todays cars are much different, plug to computer to diagnose problems not like days of old haha.

Lucky_Hoodlum said:
Unfortunately too few kids are like this, when i was their age we would get a clip behind the ears if we did the wrong thing (do this today your kids sue you :-| ) we respected our elders, many kids have little respect for themselves and others in this time. I watched your model 'T' YouTube video also, Henry Ford offered this car in any colour you choose as long as its black haha.. will be like times when you were young working on the widows late husbands car i think while learning her sons mechanics also. Today's cars are much different, plug to computer to diagnose problems not like days of old haha.
Back in my Model T days, that five year period when I drove nothing else but the T,
my favorite use of the car was to show and share; not show off, but share. I took it to the poorest, most dangerous neighborhoods in town, in particular.
People would gather round, especially the children. They were always polite and fascinated. I did this hundreds of times,
giving rides to poor people, kids too, if parents or guardians were present and allowed. The car started by turning the hand crank in front. This requires technique.
I recall a 13 year old black boy with his posse. He was SURE he could crank that car. I showed him the method.
He gave the crank a mighty, upward yank. He beamed as the car sputtered to life, turned to his doubtful comrades and exclaimed,
"SEE, I can do anything!"

But I digress, can't help it. The new ebike will bring similar adventures as was this,
penned by yrs. unruly, a period-correct comic verse.
In fact, though, my steed was as reliable as any new car today.

Oh, my Ford!
How it shakes and it shivers;

It rides still rough on smoothest roads
Because its front wheels quiver.

I do not mind the shakes it makes
So long as naught falls off or breaks.

Oh, my Ford!
How it shakes and shivers;

The ride is rough yet the exercise
Is very good for livers!

-----
Myself in 2000; in 1922 too
mein2000inthe22T.jpg

PS: it's funny to consider that this car was rear wheel braked only...just like the ebike I'm making here today.
I never rear ended anyone! Honest! Not unless they like that sort of sport. :twisted:

Many model T Fords sold but not many left in this condition today haha...Most i see
now look like below picture.

ModelT.jpg

I would think this would stop and start a bit quicker than your Model T but not as economical haha.

OK. Herman Munster is dead. Back to topic.

The battery must be truly waterproof. Its conformational coating is about fully dry.

Let's get it all wet again in order to make an illuminating test.
Upcoming is a photo of a red bucket (photos yet to be taken).

Other photos of this test procedure will follow later today.

The pictures to come will tell the story of the first test of this submarine-capable bike's components.

tbc...

Stevil_Knevil said:
Well done, brotherman! How many meters do you figure this pack is good for?
Thanks for the undeserved props, Stevil.
How many meters do you figure this pack is good for?
I'm still stuck with knowing my feet. Water pressure increases on the order of about one PSI per foot of depth. Really, it would be "how hard can poptarts be squeezed without damaage?" They are basically dry inside, dense, and so I'd think thirty feet might not hurt them at all. I won't be aqua-lung diving the bike, but a pro could do that for a fun stunt.
I think the great difficulty of running fully underwater will be keeping the bike upright, running fast enough to balance;
keeping weight on the vital front drive wheel. A sort of front dive plane, tilted downward, might be needed.

However, what I want, for real world impressive riding: wait for a day here when we've had a few days of monsoon rains.
Then some of our lower-laying, poorly drained streets flood with two to three feet of water. Cars stall and drown.
That day will be my day to shine: have a bud video me plowing through where cars can't go...on an ebike, of all things!
The battery wouldn't even be submerged. OR, for sure I can make a run around that basin of the Desoto fountain
and video that. OR (and this'd be much harder), work the System, sell the stunt idea to the City fathers and managers of the beautiful Venetian pool for a ride around much of its area: most of it is knee deep to neck deep water.

POINT: this bike will be quite safe to ride in drenching rainstorms, splashing through deep puddles, on days when NO other bicyclists even dare to ride for fear of degrading their lovely bikes. THAT will be the fun and the practical value
of waterproofing this cruiser. The bike and myself don't mind warm, Florida rainwater. We both air-dry just fine.

I'm a day sleeper. Just woke up. Battery is in the basket. Time to lace it securely in place and make three or four wire connections.
But too: we have a roof leak and I need to get up on the two story ladder and perhaps find that leak instead.
No leaks on the bike yet, but the upstairs of the house is taking on water so maybe I'd better attend to the home first.

Splish splash,
R.

Almasi said:
You are very confident....(I'm not sure I would have done this) Nice work!!!
Yes you could have done this. You can do it, or use some of these techniques with your next ebike build. It's not the doing that's hard,
but only the conceptualizing that takes time. I've done my conceptualizing, setting the bike aside and sleeping on ideas
for days or weeks at a time, wondering how best to keep it simple.

What's lacking and must lack: great speed potential, because it's rear wheel brake only, and a hard tail bike with no suspension other than its soft tires and Thudbuster seat.
It lacks "complex looks" appeal, which can be a plus for a lot of people.
It looks like a nothing bike, nearly, which -is- the goal here.
It must be rugged, reliable and unbreakable and weatherproof-supreme: leave it out in the rain, etc,
and just use the thing, and no wear-out of the usual parts because there are no $!@( hi-tek, unservicable cartridge bearings;
just grease fittings and hundred year old cup and cone bearings and brake, all of which cost mere pennies to replace
if ever I can even wear them out (which is unlikely because they are all greasable at will).
And the hub motor: it -does- have two cartridge bearings, but they won't ever fail because they run in contained oil,
as does the motor internals, themselves; oil that can be changed at intervals, not that that should be needed,
but it can be done in a few minutes, without much mess or effort: two screws, drain, refill with a few ounces of ATF oil.

Proofing the Cycle Analyst against moisture entry will be the biggest challenge. Things with wire entry points are a challenge to truly seal, particularly against pressurized water (as when/if the CA is put several feet under water);
its mode switch must be capped with a rubber button-cover of some sort.

Concepts are my strong point; luck of the bloodlines. I get free thinking from my g'dad I never knew:
the first portable window air conditioner.
I get my big mouth and confidence and conviction of ideas from my g'mother's first cousin,
Drew Pearson: telling the nation about the end of the line for Hitler and of the start of a new era.
Note that he talks a great deal; I do too!

:mrgreen:

About ready to lace-tie the pack into the basket...
P1090232.jpg

I had second thoughts: the sides are that milky-clear. Why not lightly paint the whole thing black with Krylon Fusion
(It will stick fine to that rubbery sealant). Meanwhile, what have we in the Cycle Analyst?
P1090236.jpg

P1090237.jpg

Waterproofing must be done at some point. For now I must solder the two leads of Justin's 12 LED headlight
to the CA's 36V input power (the headlight has an inbuilt voltage converter and regulator to drop the volts down to the LED's needs).
P1090240.jpg

All I had on hand ten minutes ago is gloss Fusion. Note how the top looks lumpy and brush-marked.
I could've gotten the top a lot smoother had I water-brushed the wet caulking, easing it down flat.
P1090241.jpg

But the top does not matter: I'm going to cover just the top and the two ends with black cloth glued
on with Polyseamseal adhesive clear caulk (PVC glue is what it really is) and then tie across the top of the pack.
See, the black sides of the pack will pretty much visually disappear behind the diamond mesh sides of the basket.
That's the plan anyway. The paint is dry enough in thirty minutes, but I have to go work on the roof now.
More pictures later...possibly of me, splattered on the pavement twenty feet below the roof leak :p

PS, afterword: I'm alive!
Clickable bloggy pictures
The same PVC rubbery caulking as was used on the battery pack.

My life-helper, Ernie, ready to catch me if I fell....uh....wait...I've got a 500K life insurance policy hanging over his head :p
I am worth lots, dead, and nothing, alive. So that's why he's smiling, I think. :wink:

I never before noticed how nice that courtyard brickwork was done; that fantail pattern.
Ernie built this house 35 years ago. One craftsman laid all that brick in mortar, on a six inch poured slab,
twenty two thousand bricks, three months, working five days a week. They don't do this sort of work anymore,
which is OK by us because we don't have any money anymore. Sometimes people outlive their moolah.
At least the house looks nice. Appearances deceive.

OK, now back to the battery pack: will put some black cloth over the top and down part of the sides of the pack,

PPS: Done! Clickable boring pictures. Thick black woolen billiard cloth. The thick "glue" (Polyseamseal Clear Caulk)
does not soak through. Then into the low temperature oven, then fold and glue the short sides later (the BMS does not get covered).

and then into the g-d basket for the last time, and tie it in and wire it in and never stop posting to this silly thread
:twisted:

P1090249.jpg

P1090251.jpg

P1090252.jpg

P1090253.jpg

P1090254.jpg

P1090278.jpg

Now to the Cycle Anylyst: I want it to be fully dunkable. The side switch needs to be replaced with one amenable to a neat sealing job.

Earphone bud coated with that very nice-handling silicone glue, Perfect Glue #1.
A spacer (a rubber grommet probably) may be needed to space out the new, longer N.O. switch.
Wire in the 12LED headlight from Justin's firm to the V+ and G pads on the Analyst board, seal,
done. Should be good for five or ten feet underwater (not that I'd go that deep), only due to the plastic window of the C.A.
'cos it's not a submarine pressure hull :wink:

P1090258.jpg

P1090259.jpg

P1090260.jpg

P1090261.jpg

P1090262.jpg

P1090264.jpg

P1090267.jpg

P1090269.jpg

P1090270.jpg

P1090271.jpg

P1090275.jpg

P1090276.jpg

P1090277.jpg

Notes: a second application of Perfect Glue will be applied in a couple of hours (it will bond to previous coats)
I may need to install a loose rubber grommet =under= the switch flange, to space the switch body out, away from the board; not a problem if that's necessary: once the clamping nut is lightly tightened: no water at all can enter this one weak point of the C. A.

Reid Welch said:
. . . Notes: a second application of Perfect Glue will be applied in a couple of hours (it will bond to previous coats)
. . .
That confirms it. You're a solvents junkie!
No wonder you're nuts, but we love you. uhhh, Not that we love your nuts but do admire your balls, so to speak.
Go for it big guy.

Zoot Katz said:
Reid Welch said:
. . . Notes: a second application of Perfect Glue will be applied in a couple of hours (it will bond to previous coats)
. . .
That confirms it. You're a solvents junkie!
No wonder you're nuts, but we love you. uhhh, Not that we love your nuts but do admire your balls, so to speak.
Go for it big guy.
Thanks. It really is much ado about nearly nothing. It will be fun to try to break the bike,
bend rims, etc. I suspicion that the 10PSI front Big Hank will go a long way toward protecting the spokes and the eZee from shock.
We'll see pretty soon. Hoping for a monsoon rain soon for a first swim of the bike around and past stalled cars.
It won't go fast but it should go far. I wonder if the plain thumb throttle will give trouble if submerged or soaked?

I don't like the look of the intial lacing. Think I'll probably just tie straight across, many times, each tie knotted and taut..
The battery is a bit lumpy and uneven as made. The thick cloth smooths it out to a great extent, purely cosmetic.

And yet: I can always, always, get right into the pack if service is needed. All of the coating and cloth an tape will come right off.

Boring stuff but maybe some of the ideas will be amenable to other kinds of ebike builds.

Little brain, small balls Reid. :mrgreen:

vanilla ice said:
Reid Welch said:
I wonder if the plain thumb throttle will give trouble if submerged or soaked?

I think it will give trouble.
Then it will be made to work.

"Nothing worthwhile ever works right, the very first time, just to please you;
you've got to MAKE the damned thing work!"
Thomas Edison

Please rate the video? Just click on the image, log into yt, and please give this video five stars for the kids;
after all, I'm one of them too :p
[youtube]UwMZp2sAiEU[/youtube]
Yes, 'tis my favorite little video today, mostly, entirely because of the children:
kids are perfectly open to new concepts, ideas.

"Those tires are a little..."

a little what? Phat for a bike? (I'll never know what he was thinking of saying),
but he'll never forget the bike, and I'll never forget the inherent honesty of childhood.

PS: that bump is a notoriously nasty ficus tree root just under the asphalt covering.
No unsuspended bike or rider can pass over that root at any speed at all.
Here I sit on the Thudbuster, digicam in my free, left hand, and steer the tiller with my right hand,
and the bump is a bump, but it's not a ride killer or camera-catapult. :wink:

Boy, it's tight in there. The new, normally open, push button mode-switch needs an ugly spacer grommet to allow for the board to fit as per original. It looks clunky, but so it goes. (not seen here in these pictures, not yet)

Some people collect grommets like other people collect pancakes or roadkill :lol:
P1090279.jpg

P1090280.jpg

P1090281.jpg

P1090283.jpg

P1090285.jpg

P1090287.jpg

P1090290.jpg

the hole in the back plate: entry for the lead to the 12LED flood.
QUESTION, just to be sure: I connect its red and black to the red and black pads,
the far left and far right, seen in the final picture, righto?

I can check with a multimeter for presence for the battery voltage, full, that should be there when I've turned the system on.

For the moment: silicone glue and PVC glues are drying.

Not shown: a tiny vent hole was put into the back plate, to be covered with a bit of adhesive tape,
in case slight condensation ever gets into the CA: open the hole and let the unit dry out in the sun.
The case back will be lightly silicone-glued shut for a water seal.

Then we test the lamp and C. A. by long submersion in a bucket of water, to ensure that it's all watertight enough.
Then re-clamp it all to the bars and look for a water sprinkler. Or rainstorm. Or pool. :p

Justin's amazing little 12 LED lamp powered by the Cycle Analyst: I opted for no switch: always on,
whenever the bike is powered.

Am going for a ride! Now!

P1090299.jpg

P1090302.jpg

P1090303.jpg

P1090304.jpg

P1090305.jpg

P1090306.jpg

Some minor neatening of the handlebar wires and some black zip ties and a bit of this and that,
and it's finished, ready for hard duty road trials. CURBS. I want to fly (within limits) :wink:

I must compliment you on your aesthetics - really nice. Today, I received my eZee kit and I have taken a short shake down cruise already. Incredible how it turns up so many things that are slightly out of whack but now as an aggregate they scream "adjust and fix me." Mainly though there's way too many cables every where. So now a new challenge. I thought perhaps of welding an open tube underneath the top tube (from seat to steerer) and just run them through there but now I am thinking of perhaps something more cruiser like, perhaps with an internal three speed hub. I can see that I'll only be using tall gears anyway. I digress. I do want to thank you for the videos. As I unpacked the box and said, "eye-yi-yi!" it was comforting to know that I could get some hand holding. So aesthetics tomorrow and getting to know the Cycle Analyst better. Thanks for all the great content.

Brainersan said:
I must compliment you on your aesthetics - really nice. Today, I received my eZee kit and I have taken a short shake down cruise already. Incredible how it turns up so many things that are slightly out of whack but now as an aggregate they scream "adjust and fix me." Mainly though there's way too many cables every where. So now a new challenge. I thought perhaps of welding an open tube underneath the top tube (from seat to steerer) and just run them through there but now I am thinking of perhaps something more cruiser like, perhaps with an internal three speed hub. I can see that I'll only be using tall gears anyway. I digress. I do want to thank you for the videos. As I unpacked the box and said, "eye-yi-yi!" it was comforting to know that I could get some hand holding. So aesthetics tomorrow and getting to know the Cycle Analyst better. Thanks for all the great content.
It's a wonderful kit. Perfect for a first-time ebike builder like me.
Thank you for the kind words.

BTW, folks, most of my videos are super boring, but not the next video, I promise.

Here's where I'm at: have racked 104 miles.
The fantastic CA has been programmed to limit the current draw of the 36/20 Ping pack to a mere 13A.
This still gives me 20mph unassisted.

With the 52t chainring and 16t rear cog, I can pedal assist at any speed, even above 20mph; 23mph being about the
fastest comfortable spinning speed.

Handling: everything about this modified hardtail cruiser bike goes against the books:
The weight distribution: it's 210lbs with me on it, and most of that weight is on the rear tire.
The front tire, that fat Bontrager slick, see page one of this thread, runs great at just 10PSI.

NO front brake, not wanted here...keeping it very simple. Drive with caution and anticipate traffic. No hills here either.
To stop: lean back, back pedal and yell, "Whoa, Nellie!" (Mathurin understands).
This rear-lean-back of the rider lessens the tendency to skid the rear;
which, if the rear tire does skid, only fishtails the bike in an entertaining manner;
skid not dangerous, no front wheel lockup possible. I drive it like I used to drive my Model T: same brakes, rear only,
LOOK ahead and watch out for soccer moms.

The Thud Buster plus that soft front tire (and the rear is only at 20PSI), make this bike ride like it were full suspension.
I stay on the seat and fly off sidewalk curbings at 20mph, no problem, no discomfort, no major shock to the bike.

I can run on and off the road with equal aplomb. Nearby is a sunken park, a former rock quarry. It is grassy, has trees,
tree roots and some loose gravel in places, steep slopes, a flat bottom.

I just returned from a ten mile jaunt. I finished the ride by bombing through, around, all over that park.
Tree roots mean nothing to the bike. The steep slopes, as much as a one in four grade, are handled fine with pedal assist.

Exiting the park, climbing the south slope, atop the slope, bordering the park, is a concrete walkway: about 5 inches proud of of the dirt.
PULL up on the handlbars and over that bump and stay on the seat, going about 7mph, I'd reckon: no problem.

Regular curbings, 6 and more inches tall: I lean back, yank the bars and jump onto the curb or walkway,
not going 20mph, no, but punishingly fast: yet I stay seated on the long throw Thud Buster's padded seat.

So far, so very good. Nothing breaks. Nothing strained. No need even to use the full 20A steady-state-rated delivery of the low-C-rate Ping;
higher currents would only waste current on start-ups, since I do not much baby the throttle at start up;
I just floor it.

Cruising WOT costs about 9.5A; about 400W. This varies of course with headwind, tailwind, and the slightest grades.
Note that the 400W nominal includes motor and planet gear losses.
Pedal assisting at any speed lets the Cycle Analyst show you exactly, instantly, what muscle power you are inputting,
saving your battery.
The C.A. is truly a marvelous, versatile product.

In retrospect I wish now I'd gotten the Ping 48V pack for a bit more WOT-clear road speed,
but really: wind resistance above 20mph makes ebiking this way a waste of current,
and 20mph is a safe, "bike-like" speed: nobody gives this bike a second look.

I need to make an action video for a change: a wild ride around the park would be exciting;
it's just too bad that videos tend to make slopes and hills look flat, and tree roots, etc, less like they are in life.

The eZee is going to live a long time on this bike. Maybe in a year or two I'll upgrade to a higher voltage,
but for now: it's safer and saner to keep this basic bike truly bike-like, especially since its front wheel
=cannot have a brake=; the 10PSI Big Hank up there would not like the braking strains; it would wrinkle its sidewalls
and maybe pinch/chafe flat in time.

So, as it is: it is a unique cruiser...a cruiser, not a muscle bike, but a cruiser that will gladly bomb on and off road
along with the best of any hard or soft tail bikes. Only the rider's skill and strength (I have neither at this time) are its limits.
[youtube]6rVrSjTLo9o[/youtube]
It could do this; I'm sure of it; I climbed a slope that steep thirty minutes ago. And to jump the logs? A good rider
could do it. And with a singlespeed cruiser: mine! I need to find a local bike athlete someday who will put this geezer bike
through torture tests and try to break it, and fail to break it because...I have confidence in its build, on the land and the sea and the air. :p :lol:
Really: because Dom is going underwater eventually, and THAT video will be something to see. :roll:

my video list of boring videos for bike and ebike beginners

edit: to remove unaccountable profane-phrase that created itself when I copied and pasted a long url.
i have NO idea how that happened. I don't use bad words, you uckers. :wink:
(thanks to the moderator who fixed the problem).
R.

BTW, folks, most of my videos are super boring, but not the next video, I promise.

Well done, Reid.
Everything seems perfect now.
Will we see the fontain ride? I'm curious about it.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Splish splash,
Georg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back