Repair-Reinstalling WindowsXP on SATA motherboard

amberwolf

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion
I've done this with other hardware a bajillion times, with hiccups but never such a massive clusterwhopping headache as this time--I've spent almost all of yesterday on this, and half of today, and despite hours of trying different things and more hours of research on the web, have not found a final solution. I'm sure there *is* a solution, I just haven't run across it yet.

I've even done it with the same setup other than the "new" motherboard. The problem is the chipset on the board, vs drivers, vs XP Setup program.

Basically, what has to happen is that I have to use a clone of the drive off my burned-up machine from the housefire, run a repair-reinstall of XP onto it to fix the (normal) BSOD caused by it not having the storage device drivers already installed. This requires using the F6 option in setup to load additional drivers so that once it begins to run the Windows part of Setup it doesn't BSOD in Setup, too.

All that is good, and works exactly like it should, EXCEPT that once it reaches the part of Setup where you choose what drive to install or upgrade on, it doesn't SEE any drives other than the CD and the USB stick (used to get the F6 drivers loaded).

It doesn't matter if I set the BIOS to use the SATA as IDE (or any of it's other options), nor does it matter which SATA port each drive is hooked up to, nor does it matter if I use an actual IDE drive instead of SATA to hold the clone. (because the IDE on this board is part of the SATA chipset, not part of the main board chipset, most likely...even though the F6 drivers should be fixing that.

Keep in mind that it DOES see the CDROM drive it's installing from just fine, whether I use a SATA drive or an IDE, and regardless of which port it's on.

It ALSO sees the harddisks just fine if I try to boot from one, although of course it BSODs since it doesn't have the drivers for the storage devices/chipset yet.

It ALSO sees the harddisks just fine if I boot from either a CD or USB stick version of "minixp" like the Hiren's utility set, and I can read and write to any of the harddisks (this is how I made the clones).

It just doesn't see the harddisks (at all) during XP Setup from the CD.

Can't run the XP Setup from within the minixp either, cuz it only looks at the booted version of Windows to try to install to/upgrade from.

It also doesn't matter if I start with a blank drive rather than a clone, still can't see the harddisks to do an install to.

The only thing that I have thought of but not tried (because I don't have a big enough USB stick) is to clone just the Windows, Program Files (essential folders only), and Documents and Settings (essential folders only) folders to an otherwise blank USB drive, and then repair-reinstall THAT, and then copy those back over the top of the clone harddrive's folders.

All that said, what I would PREFER to do is just dump in the necessary drivers directly into the clone drive, and then insert the necessary registry entries for these drivers to work.

Unfortunately I don't know which files and where they go, nor which entries or where or what they would contain. I have a good idea of where most of this stuff would go and what it would be, but don't have the details.

If I could get windows to install even on a blank drive, I could just copy all of the driver files over and merge the hardware sections of the registry in, but I can't even get the scratch install to start cuz XP Setup can't see the drives for whatever reason.

It is NOT an option to use a newer OS; there's stuff I have to use that won't work on anything newer, in addition to other issues with that. I also HAVE to use this cloned setup, because otherwise I am looking at months (at minimum) of software installs and setups just to begin using the computer for it's intended purpose: music creation/editing.

Presently I have a clone of the old computer's drive running on a much older / slower system that simply can't do what I need to do (in fact I have at least two clones working, though only one is in use; the other is a backup cuz it's even slower). I know the process *can* work....but on this motherboard, I havent' found the right steps yet.

If it helps, the board itself is a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Rev 1.3

More poking at it:

Tried a couple of PCI IDE and IDE/SATA cards to run the drives instead, but couldn't even get into the BIOS much less boot to anything--both would do different random problems, and neither would detect any drives hooked up to them (one was brand new still sealed in the ESD bag), tried a bunch of stuff in the BIOS with them not in there and then reinstalling them and never got them to work.

Tried a different WindowsXP cd (full OEM SP2 vs retail upgrade original release), and at least it will see the IDE harddisk (still won't see the SATA), but it does not give me the repair option.

However, THAT is strange, in itself, because I've used this same technique to clone/repair XP to the desktop that Bigmoose sent me after the fire. I did not have my original cd's at that time, so I used something else (from Bill, IIRC, probalby from his old computer), and those worked, from clones of this same drive. I've also done it using my own cd's once back here at the house, to an old Emachine setup partly from Bill and partly from my own old emachine that had been in a shed at the time of the fire, and that system is my present music workstation.

Some research about it has found various manual repair suggestions but none of them apply to my situation of not having the storage/chipset drivers loaded, only to other things like damaged registry hives, boot.ini or other startup issues, etc.

So...I'm more than a little lost on how to fix this set of problems.

Can you disable in bios the motherboard's built-in disk controller and try one of your other controllers instead? Or did you already try that (the disable part--or is that a given?).
(Sorry but I have an attention span problem and have a hard time following all your text.)

Remove every thing that is not needed. All ya need is motherboard, hard drive, and cd? dvd? drive. Set BIOS to all default settings. Create a Ubuntu CD on a working computer. Older versions will work better on a older computer. See 12.04.5 here http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads See older versions here http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/

In my experience Ubuntu is easier to install then Windows. If Ubuntu won't install, my guess is that you have a hardware problem.

@marty: The hardware all works fine with the minixp / Hiren's utility cd / usb stick, with Windows XP itself.

It's already down to the minimum hardware of just the video card (no onboard), RAM, CPU, motherboard, and drives, cabling, and power supply. I've even swapped out every piece other than CPU and motherboard because if those don't work then this whole thing is pointless anyway. ;)

The problems are:

-- the XP install CD (retail upgrade original release version) doesn't see any harddisks to upgrade on SATA or IDE (because the IDE is actually on the SATA chip instead of the regular chipset (where it *would* see it), even with the correct F6 drivers).

-- The XP install CD (OEM full SP2) sees the harddisk on IDE (not SATA) but doesn't offer the repair option, which is what I have to have.

My actual original install cd was a full install retail type of original release version, but it is damaged (badly scratched, then poorly attempted to polish those off) and can't be read. If it could be, it might work fine.

There is a chance that the upgrade CD is actually seeing the drives, but refusing to use the Windows on there as the upgradeable source; this is under test now. If it can find something to upgrade, maybe it will offer the repair option.

If not, I'm back to the second problem.

@mark: I probably didn't specifically note it, but yeah, I tried disabling all the onboard drive controllers, with no change.

amberwolf said:
There is a chance that the upgrade CD is actually seeing the drives, but refusing to use the Windows on there as the upgradeable source; this is under test now. If it can find something to upgrade, maybe it will offer the repair option.

If not, I'm back to the second problem.
The upgrade CD does take another cd to use for the upgrade source, and then it sees the IDE drives, but not SATA, and does not offer repair option.

So...any ideas? :cry:

Amberwolf. You've researched a lot already, I know, but is what's below relevant?

[url=http://www.tim.id.au/blog/tims-f6-driver-guide/ said:
Tim’s F6 driver guide[/url]"]
This page, then, is my effort to concisely document and preserve that information: The procedure and tools necessary to reinstall or repair Windows 2000, XP and the related Server 2000 and 2003 products on non-natively-supported storage controllers, and to provide a few troubleshooting paths for problems that can arise in the course of maintaining such a thing.

Specifically, the information here will be useful to you if you’re in one of the following situations:

>> You’re trying to install Windows Professional 2000, Server 2000, XP or Server 2003 on a computer, but the drive you want to install to is on a storage controller (SCSI, AHCI or RAID) that your version of Windows doesn’t natively support.
>> You want to run a repair install of Windows XP – or get into the recovery console – on your late-model desktop or laptop, but it was installed by the manufacturer with AHCI turned on and the XP CD you’ve borrowed from someone doesn’t seem to detect the hard drive.
>> You’ve previously installed Windows on a computer with the boot drive’s storage controller set to something like “Compatible” or “ATA” mode, but want to enable the RAID controller to set up a RAID array, or want to enable AHCI to take advantage of SATA hotplugging and other features, and simply changing the option in BIOS causes your computer to bluescreen with error 0x7b.
>> Your motherboard or your storage controller card has failed, and you need to boot your existing install of Windows on another computer or controller card, but it bluescreens with error 0x7b because Windows isn’t yet used to the new controller.

ETA: Also maybe this thread regarding installing XP on your Gigabyte mb and bios settings for ide drives. Especially the AHCI vs IDE stuff.

amberwolf said:
-- The XP install CD (OEM full SP2) sees the harddisk on IDE (not SATA) but doesn't offer the repair option, which is what I have to have.
Assume there are files you want to save?

Your windows is all buggered up. It's got demons. There's no fixing windows when it's got demons.

Do this:
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer
I have done this and it works.

mark5 said:
Amberwolf. You've researched a lot already, I know, but is what's below relevant?

Tim’s F6 driver guide
I think that's one I already went thru--but I already have the F6-driver issue resolved, as noted in the first post. Perhaps I don't have the *right* driver (if Gigabyte's site has the wrong one) but since it does fix the issue with the Setup CD itself BSODing when used on the SATA optical drive, then I think it is the right one.

Still, I'll go thru what it says there to see if it changes any of my results.

Also maybe this thread regarding installing XP on your Gigabyte mb and bios settings for ide drives. Especially the AHCI vs IDE stuff.
I didn't see that one so I'll look at it, too--thanks!

marty said:
Your windows is all buggered up. It's got demons. There's no fixing windows when it's got demons.
No, it's not buggered up and it doesn't have demons (as much as it feels like it :lol:), it simply needs to have the repair-reinstall run on it to force it to load the correct storage/chipset drivers, or have them manually installed somehow.

I guarantee you that if I take one of these drive clones to a motherboard with a normal IDE port on it instead of the way this one's got it on the SATA chipset, it'll do what I need to do just fine... (as it has done so before) but that won't help me because I need to use *this* board and CPU, because I have this one, and buying something else isn't an option.

It's also not an option to use any other OS to do things either, and pointless to go get some other OS to try to backup data--I already have it all backed up because in case you missed it, ;) I'm workign with clones of the original drive, and another clone is already in operation from this procedure on another older, slower computer.

I wouldn't need another OS to do any of the backup even if that werent' teh case, because I would just attach it to one of my other older slower working computers, via external USB, etc.

So while I appreciate the ideas, if they do not accomplish my requirement of making *this* clone of my original setup work on this machine, there is no point to posting the ideas--I cannot use them at all.

Only ideas that let me get the system working using the clone, either via repair-reinstall, or via manually installing the drivers into the existing clone some other way, to prevent the otherwise-normal-BSOD at boot, are useful. :/

I havent' had time to do more than read some of the stuff above, and links from there, and links from those, but I found this
https://www.storagecraft.com/products/components/storagecraft-recovery-environment
that might do what I want...but that's money, and I don't even know that it would work.

There are several manual methods I may be able to adapt.

A theoretically simple method would be to use some motherboard that has a chipset that the XP on the clone drive has already been running on...and then install the 965 drivers on it.

But AFAICR, the computer I was using before the fire was the Intel DG965 motherboard, using the same chipset that is on this Gigabyte board (which is one of the reasons I chose it over the others I have). So that theory may not hold.

However, there are several versions of the 965 chipset, and apparently the storage part of teh chipset is a different version on this than the old one.

But being so similar, it's possible that a registry hack and/or driver change or install would fix the BSOD...I just have to figure out what is needed.

If I install windows from scratch on the system, extract the registry entries for these drivers, and the files, and then use the Recovery Console in XP setup, I might be able to do it that way.

Back