replacing cells in Bosch 8.8AH 36V e bike battery

Lucasimas

10 µW
Hi all,

I am thinking of replacing the cells inside my 8.8Ah Bosch e bike battery to get better range. Inside the pack are 40 x Samsung ICR18650-22P 2.2Ah cells which can handle 10A continuous discharge. The cells are arranged in a 10s4p formation with quite a complex BMS inside. When you turn the power button on the battery pack it enables power to the motor and the display unit on the handlebars.

A new 11.6aH battery pack from a Bosch dealer costs almost £600 but with some research I have found that I can get hold of a pack built up with 40 Panasonic cells, NCR18650PF 2900mAh - max discharge of 25A discharge, or NCR18650A 3100mAh which can handle 10A discharge like the existing Samsung cells. This pack will cost about £300 to obtain. I would then have to remove the existing cells, wire up the new pack in the existing housing and connect up the BMS PCB and all the wiring. As the pack is only about 12 months old and is looked after very well, I expect the existing 2.2aH cells may have an aftermarket value on eBay or something. Only problem would be finding a courier who could accept them due to UK Royal Mail ban on loose Li ion cells going in the post.

I think I might be better off going for the NCR18650PF cells as I have de-restricted my e bike so it puts more of a demand on the battery pack. I believe these cells will give better overall performance compared with the NCR18650A cells.

I am fairly knowledgeable about electronics and general tinkering and I feel that I am more than capable of wiring in the new BMS.

I was just wondering if these kind of OEM battery packs employ a kind of protection system which will cause the BMS to shutdown if an attempt is made to connect it to a pack of cells which are not the original cells. Have any of you come across BMS circuits with this kind of protection on or is this just an unfounded concern of mine? I wouldn't want to spend £300 and then find the BMS wont recognise the new pack due to some irritating protection system :shock:

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Luke

Back