Retailing off road ebikes advice ( insurance/ certification)

Hi,

I run a bike shop bike shop and would like to retail the parts to make high power e bikes. I am concerned that if I retail products that do no comply with EN certification I could be held liable in case of an accident. Please can any one give me advice on how I can sell high power E bike kit and complete bikes? Do you know of a special insurance I may need that permits me to build these off road e bikes? Do high power e bikes still have to conform to any standard certification?

Any help much appreciated :)
adam

You want legal advice, and don't say for where?

What you want to know requires a lawyers and insurance brokers advice. Start with a likely useless release form of course.

We currently have a Cycle traders policy but they are not interested in insuring us for retailing or repairing high power e bikes... ?

You want help? Where are you from? Different rules for different countries etc.
adrock8519 said:
Hi,
I run a bike shop and would like to retail the parts to make high power e bikes. I am concerned that if I retail products that do no comply with EN certification I could be held liable in case of an accident. Please can any one give me advice on how I can sell high power E bike kit and complete bikes? Do you know of a special insurance I may need that permits me to build these off road e bikes? Do high power e bikes still have to conform to any standard certification?Any help much appreciated :)
adam

Do what wesnewel suggest below. Otherwise I could be giving you advice that we do here in Sweden and that is apples and oranges compared to wherever your from.
wesnewell said:
Welcome to ES****Do this before your first post or now (it's retroactive)*****
Please go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field (country minimum) and save it. Once done, your location will appear in every post so you won't have people asking where you are ever again. This will help people help you. Example: Wylie, TX, USA. or just USA, but country as a minimum, and country is the most important. There are many cities with the same name all over the world. Without knowing what country you are in it's hard to make any recommendations. Thank you.

adrock8519 said:
Hi,

I run a bike shop bike shop and would like to retail the parts to make high power e bikes. I am concerned that if I retail products that do no comply with EN certification I could be held liable in case of an accident. Please can any one give me advice on how I can sell high power E bike kit and complete bikes? Do you know of a special insurance I may need that permits me to build these off road e bikes? Do high power e bikes still have to conform to any standard certification?

Any help much appreciated :)
adam

"Off-road use only" disclaimer signed by the end customer with some warnings on the bikes themselves would most likely work. But again, I agree with everyone else here, location location location.

I can only assume EU so far.

Here, selling a bike (or a kit) for off road use may turn even worse than for the street, legally speaking. That is because everyone is insured on the street by "no fault" government program, while one may be held accountable for someone who would hurt himself off the road where universal insurance doesn't apply.

The law is different everywhere, as the way they are enforced. Take specific advice for all locations where you plan to sell.

Thanks for the advice every one I have been forwarded to the motor cycle industry association. Im awaiting their advice:)

Back