Reverse thinking...

Desertprep

1 kW
I have read many threads here and in other forums about people trying to convert a car that originally had an ice into an electric vehicle. Has anyone tried to design a vehicle from the ground up to be an electric vehicle? I am looking for ideas and threads that can be accomplised by mortal man - not requiring $billions. What I hope to find is a 2 seater, 3 wheeled (tadpole) that has a lot of storage in the rear - a 3 wheeled pickup, if you will. Bonus points awarded if it has all wheel drive, even if the 3 wheel is only used at low speed. Must have a safe cruising speed of 60 mph. Maybe...by the time these requirements are satisfied, it would have been cheaper to convert a small 4x4 jeep? or an older awd Subaru?

You can do a lot with a good tadpole trike with a fairing. But you're not going to (safely) get to 60mph. That's more work than you will want to put into it, unless you're a mechanical engineer with a long, long history of design.

whatr you are nearly describing is a Jitney, I have seen electric ones on various chinese sites. I don't know about that top end though. Most small track vehicles have issues over something like 45.. I would love to explain it but I have no idea why it is a thing. I only know that much because of getting a custom built (ICE, not electric) car road verified.

As others have said, highway speeds and 3 wheelers (or highway speeds and homemade vehicles) are a bad combination almost all the time. If you want car speeds, start with a car (and feel bad about it, as you should).

Why would you want to put the load bed over a single wheel? For a 3 wheeled, 2 seat truck, there's already a proven format: Piaggio Ape, Cushman carts and all the parking enforcement trikes, maintenance trucklets, and south Asian tuktuks that descended from those.

800px-Bee_transports_wasp_in_profile.JPG

If you use delta or 4-wheel layout, you can put the rear wheels on trailing links for a low cargo floor, sub-floor battery, or both. With a single rear wheel you lose all of that and you twist the bejeebers out of the swingarm when the contraption is loaded.

Tadpole layout is for when the weight is mostly on the front. Delta layout is for when it's mostly on the back.

For 3 wheeler speeds, it's a no brainer to use hub motors, in which case all-wheel drive is easy (and doesn't have to interfere with a low rear floor).

Last edited:
I had spaced the name for the Euro-version of the lil trucks. I just got used to seeing Jitneys allllll over S.E.A. The amazing thing is in parts of India the guys in the peddle units are keeping up with the gas powered ones.. After seeing the traffic there however I think it is a survival thing.

I have read many threads here and in other forums about people trying to convert a car that originally had an ice into an electric vehicle. Has anyone tried to design a vehicle from the ground up to be an electric vehicle? I am looking for ideas and threads that can be accomplised by mortal man - not requiring $billions. What I hope to find is a 2 seater, 3 wheeled (tadpole) that has a lot of storage in the rear - a 3 wheeled pickup, if you will. Bonus points awarded if it has all wheel drive, even if the 3 wheel is only used at low speed. Must have a safe cruising speed of 60 mph. Maybe...by the time these requirements are satisfied, it would have been cheaper to convert a small 4x4 jeep? or an older awd Subaru?

Not sure if you've ever looked around the roads, but there are plenty of EVs that were designed *as* EVs, sold commercially, so there have most definitely been some. If none of them fit your specific needs or conditions, you could probably at least take info, parts, design ideas, etc. from them.

There is a website I can't recall the name of that is a "library" of assorted EV builds; most are conversions but there have been some scratch builds on there.

DIY Electric Car Forums may have some, most of the ones on the above site were probably started on this one.

The actual primary vehicle design will not depend on power source, but instead will depend on your specific usage, conditions, etc, so you would not want to restrict your research to EVs.

For three wheelers...others have pointed out various disadvantages of them, but it depends on your specific design and intent, so you'll have to look at the reasons for the disadvantages, compare them to your specific list of needs and functionality requirements, and see if they apply to your design ideas. If all you need is totally straight line high speeds it's not such a big deal, but if you need to maneuver at those speeds, your design is going to have to be built like any other similar threewheeler that can safely do whatever you need it to do, or you'll have to come up with a new design that does.

The big problem with something that's a three wheeler truck is it's going to almsot certainly have to have two wheels in the rear to handle the load. That makes it MUCH less maneuverable at higher speeds, cornering, etc., as it is much easier to roll over or flip.

My SB Cruiser trike is a tadpole "pickup", and at the 20mph max it's designed for, it does alright, but even if it had suspension of the right design, it still wouldn't be able to make safe full-speed turns. (unless it had specific anti-roll features, it would actually be LESS safe with suspension). I have to slow down at least a few MPH for wide left turns, and sharp right turns take me down to less than 3/4 full speed, usually less than half. Certain maneuvers even in straightline riding are not safe at full speed. And this is with relatively heavy hubmotors on the outboard edges at the rear, and all the load low down. If the load fills the back end, or requires the top cargo deck as well, it becomes much less maneuverable at higher speeds. Etc.

If I were using motors not at the wheels, but further inboard, or centralized, etc., there would be less "ballast" holding the wheels down, and it would be even more tippy in turns. There are ways to compensate for all sorts of maneuvering challenges, but everything gets more and more complex, which gives more and more points of failure, more maintenance, etc.

So, you should to look at how the things that already do what you want work, regardless of power source, and see how they do what they do. I recommend finding some you can test drive to see what they actually perform like in your specific conditions and usage.

If no vehicle like you want exists, regardless of power source, you're going to have to research how to design one that does, build it, and redesign it in iterations until it does what you want. ;)

That's what my SB Cruiser project has been.

Last edited:
What I hope to find is a 2 seater, 3 wheeled (tadpole) that has a lot of storage in the rear - a 3 wheeled pickup, if you will.

I found a beast that (almost) matches your criteria - Maybe they're willing to offer an optional trailer hitch?

Attachments

• 1711386099751.png
    1711386099751.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
The big problem with something that's a three wheeler truck is it's going to almsot certainly have to have two wheels in the rear to handle the load. That makes it MUCH less maneuverable at higher speeds, cornering, etc., as it is much easier to roll over or flip.

There's nothing inherently worse about delta trikes than tadpole trikes when it comes to cornering ability. It's only a matter of how wide the track is, how low the center of mass is, and how close it is to the midpoint of the paired wheels.

That's why delta layout with a low floor load bed is best, for any vehicle in which the cargo can substantially outweigh the passengers. You put the heavy stuff as low as you can and as close to the center of the "axle" as you can.

There's nothing inherently worse about delta trikes than tadpole trikes when it comes to cornering ability. It's only a matter of how wide the track is, how low the center of mass is, and how close it is to the midpoint of the paired wheels.
Touché Big Guy.... you took the words right off my keyboard (y)

I see the guys on the reverse trike bikes (there is a group of them that roar around the delta on weekends those seem pretty stable... but I am fairly certain that if you have an 80ish k budget you can probably afford more suspension than the average e-bike has. (someone told me that the top end of them monsters breaks 120k for a price tag, I will stick with a lovely german car tyvm)

I would totally steal their suspension if I thought I could figure out a way to peddle it at 50mph....

Back