Ridekick

Belch

1 mW
I converted my trike to an etrike. The etrke components I did not work that well, it broke down after two or three years of light use.
Rather than try to fix something that may break down again. I am thinking of restoring my trike to a regular bike and getting something like Ridekick
My questions are
is Ridekick still in business?
Are there any used Ridekick devices out there?
Are there any other similar devices?
Of those types of devices which are built to last?
Thanks

Granny trike or tadpole?

If granny, did you use a front hub motor or some kind of rear axle drive? If you haven't tried a front hub motor yet, I would definitely start there.

If tadpole, and you haven't tried a rear hub motor, then I'd start there.

Pusher trailers probably have their place, but I'm not sure what that place is. Mine certainly was never as satisfactory as a proper e-bike.

Granny trike or tadpole?

If granny, did you use a front hub motor or some kind of rear axle drive? If you haven't tried a front hub motor yet, I would definitely start there.

If tadpole, and you haven't tried a rear hub motor, then I'd start there.

Pusher trailers probably have their place, but I'm not sure what that place is. Mine certainly was never as satisfactory as a proper e-bike.
I have a Tadpole and it was a rear hub motor. But it seems not the highest quality. So I am looking for other ways to power assist without all the wires and trying to fit a round peg in a square hole Thanks

A pusher trailer is going to affect how your ride handles, and varies depending on road conditions and the design of whatever it is pushing, along with where and how it attaches to that to do the pushing. One example: If it hitches on one side, instead of across the whole rear, the forces can be off-center, and affect your steering. Under imperfect road conditions if the trike passes first thru a section of not as sticky road surface, but the trailer is still on good surface, it can push the trike's rear end in a way that makes it skid angled. When the trailer reaches the bad surface too, it may squiggle around too, jerking on the trike's rear end, especially if it only has one drive wheel but rides on two. Another--if the trailer has insufficient weight on it vs the trike/rider weight, vs the road conditons and tires on it and the trike, it might not be able to push enough or at all without losing traction.

It's also still a trailer, and can make a ride more complicated in a number of ways, especially if you're not used to trailers. I build and use heavy cargo trailers of various designs, and they all have their problems...but the biggest one is simply that it's there at all, and makes the whole assembly longer and bigger and is one more (big) thing to keep an eye on when maneuvering either on the road or in parking lots, etc. Another complication with trikes is that the trailer usually has a different track width than the trike, so you end up with five wheel tracks to deal with in watching out for road conditions instead of just the three. If you have perfectly smooth roads, it's not really much of an issue, but I don't see those much around here. :/

Also, as I noted in your other thread (and am copying here in case you don't check that one), to pick any drive system, you need to define / know what job your trike needs to do for you, under what specific conditions. Then you can use various simulators or calculators (like the ebikes.ca motor and trip simulators) to determine how much power it takes to do that job under those conditions. Then you can be sure to get a drive system and battery that can handle that easily, with power / etc to spare, so that they aren't being pushed to their limits, if you want a reliable long lasting system.

FWIW, complete details about your trike, the failed system, how it failed and under what conditions, and your usage scenario, as well as the conditions you ride in, may help us help you pick a better-matched system for you that would be more reliable.

Back